Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Lex

Administrator
After you tagged me in that FB post the other day I was overtaken by morbid curiosity and did some research. Apparently the guy is some sort of Russian national treasure (trying not to be surprised by this) and I also found this:

been stuck in my head for days

Ghost X

Yeah, and Australia. Again. So much for that being a one-off.

hqdefault.jpg

j/k

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So apparently, we in the UK can choose our entry for the first time in six years. It airs 26th February, the article also mentions the grand final taking place on 14th May.

Doubt whatever we choose will make a difference. The day that we win Eurovision will be the day I eat tomatoes (and I hate them with a burning passion!).

Lex

Administrator
Remember what happened the last time we chose the entry? Yeah this is not a good thing XD

Omg if they've got Pete Whatshisname writing it again I might actually be rendered incapable of watching it this year. The guy wrote for Steps and somehow people think he can write music. Steps. STEPS.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
We're doomed either way. :monster:

Also just noticed that Nicky Byrne is representing Ireland, he might do well. He's pretty much always giving the results of the votes, anyway.

I'm not sure about the song, but my immediate thoughts? So weird seeing him sing solo, I was expecting the rest of Westlife to come out for the final chorus.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Regardless of how shit the UK's entry ends up being, I still think it's a good thing to let people choose it themselves. Democracy, innit.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Lol. It won't impact our odds of winning any more, but I do love the idea of us being able to pick our entry again.

Though it still feels off having everything shifted over to BBC Four now.

Lex

Administrator
Sometimes on TLS I try to sneak in phrases I use in my afk social circle to see how many people will get it/ because it's usually the best way to describe how I'm feeling while adding (hopefully) a tiny touch of humour.

In this case,
is a gay slang term popularised by RuPaul's Drag Race:

and older movies like Paris is Burning.

tl;dr it basically just means "that's kinda insulting".

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Here are the UK's contenders.

In the middle of listening to the potential songs, but they've surely got to better than the tripe the BBC have sent in recent years. :monster:

Edit: Song 1 sounds all right, but has a risk of being quite cheesy.

Song 2 is the same, you can just tell off the bat that it's got Leona Lewis all over it (she co-wrote it).

Songs 3 and 4 are quite forgettable imho.

Song 5 is a must for me. It's the most memorable and it's almost love at first listen. It screams Michelle Branch. I'd love it to be the one instantly, but I get the feeling Song 6 (which is only 24 seconds, why?) might get it.

Darline for me with Until Tomorrow gets my pick. <3

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I cba listening to them but one of the solo acts was in an "art project" called Red Hot to show off hot redheads to combat ginger-bullying XD.

Capture-2-1140x641.jpg

*facepalm* Oh yeah because nobody ever get's bullied because people are jealous of their looks.

OT: As usual I'm waiting until the night, I like to come to it fresh :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Eurovision: You Decide is on tonight on BBC Four at 7:30pm-9pm tonight. I'm obviously going to be watching. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Jake and Joe with Not Alone. I'm quite disappointed tbh, because pretty sure they wouldn't have gotten through if they weren't so pretty.

I was all for Darline until I heard Bianca and she sounded like a winner, but guess we're not getting anywhere again. On the bright side, the song isn't humiliating like last year, but it's not on a particularly high wow level either.

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm watching the Norwegian qualic round now. We're probably sending something that's easy to swallow and boring :monster:

Edit: But the entries this year are actually a lot more Eurovision-y than they've been over the recent years - they have a new guy who runs the thing and so far I'm pleased :monster:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Finland's entry was also chosen tonight.

Bleh. Of the nine finalists, it was maybe my fifth choice. Semi-finals, here we come!

Fangu

Great Old One
The final 4 have been picked. Voting is about to start. They better choose "Afterglow", but "Icebreaker" is declared the most likely winner. The singer is charismatic but I think the song is completely unoriginal :-P

Edit: Bleh, they chose the Poland 2005 song, congrats Norway u stink

Last edited:
Top Bottom