• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Eurovision Song Contest!!

Fangu

Great Old One
179509-292198-eurosong3-f.jpg

It's that time of the year!!

For those of you who don't know what the Eurovision Song Contest, or the ESC, is, it's a yearly TV show that's been running since 1956 on TV channels who are members of the European Broadcasting Union. Originally only featuring some of ye olde European countries, it is now a massive thing with anywhere between 100 and 600 million viewers worldwide every year. The most notable singers/ bands to come out of the contest is Celine Dion (Switzerland 1988, "Ne partez pas sans moi") and ABBA (Sweden 1972, "Waterloo"). It is also famous for making "Riverdance" famous after Ireland showed the dance in the "counting-the-votes" pause in the 1994 show.

But the point with this show isn't in any way to portray 'good music'. In fact, most entries are actually really, really bad. The show is for the fun - it's for the stilettos, feathers and queers, the folk music, bimbos and skimpy outfits. And for the half an hour long voting that takes place after all the wonderful artists have performed, where each country awards the other countries with points from 1-12. (It is mandatory to make your own list, or to give points to every country as they perform! Especially along with drinks; a lot of drinks.)

The 2013 show is being held in Malmö Sweden after Swedish singer Loreen took the title home in 2012. 39 countries are participating this year. There will be two semi finals: Tuesday the 14th of May and Thursday the 16th, with the grand finale on Saturday the 18th.

We must poast all the contributors this year and mock comment of course, but before that I'll give you 5 videos to show you a little bit of what the ESC is about.

Here are the contestants of 2013!
Semi 1
Semi 2
Host country + Big 5

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
Bonnie Tyler's voice is sounding worse than ever. UK dont stand a chance. Not sure who's representing ireland. Hopefully not those retards again.

Fangu

Great Old One
Bonnie Tyler's voice is sounding worse than ever. UK dont stand a chance. Not sure who's representing ireland. Hopefully not those retards again.
You mean
:desu:

Nah, this is Ireland 2013, Ryan Dolan "Only Love Survives":

I quite like it!

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay here are the contestants of Semi 1!

Note: I haven't looked up the YouTube vids myself, I just copy pastad the links from the official site. Some artists might have live performances on YouTube, they might be checking out as some recordings might give an, ehm, wrong impression of the live performance :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've got more and more interested in Eurovision over the years. I still think 90% of the songs entered each year are terrible, but I don't really watch it for the music; I enjoy the contest. And the drinking game. Especially the drinking game (which I've run for my friends for the last two years).

This year's favourites, according to some bookmakers:

I can't find live performances of the Russian and Italian songs, perhaps because they weren't chosen by the public. I'm guessing the other three songs were. Italy qualify for the Eurovision final anyway, without going through a semi-final.

I like Norway's song the best out of those five. The vocals remind me a lot of Björk. I haven't listened to any other songs yet, besides

...which is pretty cheesy, but I guess that makes it a good fit for Eurovision :P

Edit:
ninja.gif

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I'm sorry, but I have to correct you a little Fangu. Finland's national hero(s) Lordi won in 2006 not in 2007! :awesome: It was a great year for Finland. Oh those memories...

Anyway, I've been following the Eurovisions every year since 2002. I'd say my favourite winner (after Lordi, of course) must be Alexander Rybak from 2009. That's also the only year that I've voted myself, I think. I haven't seen any other Eurovision entries for this year besides Finland's entry. And I probably don't really want to see them all before the contest, because I like to be surprised

Even though I'm busy (or at least I should be) I'm sure I'll still have time to watch it. Even though the thing that I have usually done with my mother when we watch the contest, is not to give points for every performance but we usually try to guess the top ten. Also I don't drink, but everyone has their own way of enjoying the contest I guess. :D

Thanks Fangu for making this thread! :properhug:

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I don't remember how I came to discover Eurovision (I'm not European), but I'm a fan. There's really a lot of song entries that I love, even the non-English ones. And it's a good show too despite some of the crazy entries (this show gave birth to the Epic Sax Guy meme right :desu: ) Thanks to this, I discovered a lot of foreign singers that I now listen to, like Hadise (Turkey), Yohanna (Iceland), Soraya (Spain), and Loreen.. Euphoria is one of my current favorite songs <3

I'll check out the entries :excited:

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm sorry, but I have to correct you a little Fangu. Finland's national hero(s) Lordi won in 2006 not in 2007! :awesome: It was a great year for Finland. Oh those memories...
Ooops!! 2007 was Serbia! Thanks :lol: I think the Lordi song might be the most just winner ever. I think it's a brilliant pop twist of what most of Europe consider as OMG HARD ROCK! It's a brilliant performance and OMG I love that little Finland hat :lol:

Speaking of brilliant winners, I adore
, Belgium 1986. Haha it's so goddamn 80's I can't

I'd say my favourite winner (after Lordi, of course) must be Alexander Rybak from 2009.
That was fun, particularly since it was Norway's national day the day after. Some of the marching bands played that song, lol. Great stuff.

Thanks Fangu for making this thread! :properhug:
Yay for people participating!! :desu:

And it's a good show too despite some of the crazy entries (this show gave birth to the Epic Sax Guy meme right :desu: )
Yep, that was Moldova 2010 - they were the first to perform in the finals in Oslo - I was there :excited:

Thanks to this, I discovered a lot of foreign singers that I now listen to, like Hadise (Turkey)
I love Hadise!!! "Deli O&#287;lan" is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, I can't get enough of that song!

Yohanna (Iceland)
I'm almost a little sad Alexander Rybak won in 2009, because Yohanna was absolutely amazing and deserved the title <3

and Loreen.. Euphoria is one of my current favorite songs <3
That song is simply amazing and a very dignified winner! I remember when I heard it on the radio for the first time and the host said "I can't believe this is an ESC song" I was like WHAT! Cus I thought it was a really good song.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I kinda liked this song back in the day, then I looked it up on youtube earlier... nil point

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I love Hadise!!! "Deli O&#287;lan" is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, I can't get enough of that song!

I have the English version of that song in my Ipod, I love it! I don't understand why Hadise's not famous here in America, her songs fit the mainstream and she sounds (and looks!) so much better than the standard pop stars!

I'm almost a little sad Alexander Rybak won in 2009, because Yohanna was absolutely amazing and deserved the title <3
Lol me too. xD "Is It True" is so powerful and emotional.

---
My current list of favorites from the videos posted:

Slovenia
Denmark
Moldova
Ireland
Norway - my top fave!

Ukraine's song is so good at the beginning, but for some reason it fails to take off.. the melody after the chorus is a bit mehh to me :no:

Lex

Administrator
I LOVE EUROVISION IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

I don't have time to get caught up with all this year's acts yet, but I'm loving Norway's entry this year. The UK will finish in the bottom 3 as usual, and I encourage this because the UK entries are always fucking retarded. Blue came 5th or something like 3 years ago or so, but to be fair that was a shit year.

Yeah, looking forward to it this year. Eurovision is so summery and to me spells a break from studies, cocktails in the garden and cheesy fun summer music playing all over. I actually love Ireland's entry for that factor alone. I wish the music video wasn't so goddamn amateur. It's really catchy.

EDIT: Obligatory favourites from last year <3

Romania:

Ukraine:

Cyprus:

Turkey: MY GOD THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER BUT ITS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD

And a big shout out to Armenia's 2010 entry because it still sticks in my head for days.

There's also the crazy Russian grannies from last year, they were hilarious (and really endearing). Glad Euphoria won because I liked it, but unfortunately I picked it and when you're playing the Eurovision drinking game, if your country is winning/ wins you will not walk away. You will collapse in a heap of booze.

Last edited:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Ooops!! 2007 was Serbia! Thanks :lol: I think the Lordi song might be the most just winner ever. I think it's a brilliant pop twist of what most of Europe consider as OMG HARD ROCK! It's a brilliant performance and OMG I love that little Finland hat :lol:

Haha, the national pride of Finland. :D I think he performed the second time with a four winds hat because Lordi himself at least is from Lapland.

Speaking of brilliant winners, I adore
, Belgium 1986. Haha it's so goddamn 80's I can't

At first I didn't even notice how young she is. But only at some point when she was singing I started to think that she can't be 18 yet. But gosh she is only 13! That 80's style really fooled me there! I still love the dancing though... :awesome:

@Lex: Oh god the Russian grannies... I didn't like them at all. I think they were more creepy than anything.

Euphoria I liked, but it kinda took all the excitment away. Everybody knew it was going to win. And yeah, I think it was entitled to win too, which is a lot said from a Finnish persion. x)

But OMG Turkey! Definitely my favourite! Especially the live show:

I really loved it and I loved the boat! Also the dancing Khal Drogos. :D

EDIT: And I almost forgot one of my last years favourites, Estonia!

For my ear Estonian usually sounds a bit weird, probably because the similiarities with Finnish language, but this song still sounds beautiful.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
FANGU, I LOVE YOU. LET'S CONTINUE FANGASMING OVER SKYPE ON THIS, OKIES!!!!!!?

I've always loved the cheesiness of Eurovision. It's amazing. I'm on the edge about our entry this year. I thought it was shit before I heard it and now I have, I'm all hmmmm over it.

On a side note, I fucking loved Loreen last year. Get her debut album, it's mesmerising and dancy!

Fangu

Great Old One
Here are the contestants of Semi 2!

Note (again): I haven't looked up the YouTube vids myself, I just copy pastad the links from the official site. Some artists might have live performances on YouTube, they might be checking out as some recordings might give an, ehm, wrong impression of the live performance :P

Next up: The Big 5!

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay so just to get this over with, here are Host Country +
Because they contribute with x amount of money, they go straight to the finals every year - which I think is strategically very dumb of them since they're missing the replay factor - the more you hear/ see a song, the more you like it

* The only country to draw a spot in the finals yet is Sweden, hence the 16.

I know some of these have been posted before, but I thought I'd list them all anyway and put a link in the first post of the thread :) I'm also thinking of writing up a comment for each video. It's always hilarious doing it in Norwegian (people tell me they laugh when they read my comments), not sure I'll be as funny in English :lol:

Anyway I'll be posting my Top 10 or Top 5 later, not sure which one yet. I have to say though, I absolutely love Finland. It's clever, funny and catchy, and I ADORE the video (the faces on those guys at the wedding!!! LMAO)

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I do quite like Latvia, looks like a barrel full of laughs. Going to miss the first semi unfortunately, as I'm
seeing Leona Lewis, sorry to say it again, Fangu! :awesome:
But I'll definitely catch up with it on iPlayer the following night. Then I'm definitely on for Semi 2 and the Final.

Every year, someone always asks me to go out on the night of the final and I just always say no. They think I'm sad when I mentioned Eurovision. It's a tradition of mine I've had for years now and shan't break it. :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It feels like there are a more solo female performers this year than there have been in the past. Not that I've actually counted. The four bookmakers' favourites are all solo females, for example. I guess it's true that many countries are influenced by the previous year's winner. Weren't there quite a few songs with violins the year after Alexander Rybak won?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It feels like there are a more solo female performers this year than there have been in the past. Not that I've actually counted. The four bookmakers' favourites are all solo females, for example. I guess it's true that many countries are influenced by the previous year's winner. Weren't there quite a few songs with violins the year after Alexander Rybak won?
I think you're definitely right and it's been coming for quite a while, since solo winners have been emerging.

There were certainly songs with violins the following year and the year after Lordi won, a few countries tried metal rock. Me personally, I'd stray away from the style of the winner for at least two or three years.

Also, cheesiness is always a must for the contest. I remember half being ashamed of this and half enjoying it:

"Would you like something to suck on for landing&#65279; sir?"

The BBC were idiots for sending them over with this. I also do miss Terry Wogan, he was a Eurovision legend. Graham Norton is hilarious, but it'll always be the Wogan for me with his remarks on voiceover!

Edit: Here's all the songs.

Honourable mentions go to these two, I think either one of them could be winners. Probably more Ireland, though. I've got Irish in me and I just fell in love with it instantly.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'm not going to watch any of the videos because I like to go into Eurovision fresh :monster:

Hopefully I'll be able to join in if you guys are going to be on skype/irc.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Absolutely join us on Skype. Lex, Fangu and myself will be at least fangasming over it together.

I don't normally watch anything beforehand except for our entry and maybe a few others. But I'm more excited this year than I usually am for any other year. :)

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I quite like Norway, too. I only saw a snippet before in that video I posted before. Trying really hard now not to watch anymore of this year's entries because I think I might kill the excitement for myself.

Lex

Administrator
So far I'm loving Ukraine, Norway and Ireland in that order from most to least.

I openly tell people I watch Eurovision and DGAF when they recoil. I enjoy it because we play drinking games, it's never failed to be warm and sunny on the day of and the campyness/ chessiness of it is funny. No one takes it seriously, and some of the songs are really good no matter what way you cut it.

I once asked for a day off work and when my manager in Starbucks asked me why, I told him "It's Eurovision". The attitude in the UK towards it is really a joke, I hate it when people act all superior when it's just supposed to be a bit of fun that brings all these countries together, I think it's excellent.

FUCK THE HATERS.

Top Bottom