• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Evangelion

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Given Khara’s record with how they did 3.0, yes.

One can only hope they tone down the CGI this time around. 1.0 came out 11 years ago and still looks amazing, so it’s kinda disapointing to see them rely on CGI so heavily.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Not gonna lie, the hype for this was built in 2017, I was expecting CONTENT this spring... but now they're pushing it back to 2020? I'm getting an FFXV vibe from this.

Hell, Peter Jackson probably would have made more progress in that amount of time... of course he had more money and top talent.

Part of me wants to be disappointed, while another part of me says this is only part of an even bigger pool of ideas.

Let me explain what I mean:

Evangelion is breeding LCL tank of ideas... it has been inspiring other studios for decades and then some.

I've encountered at least TWO videogames that grabbed a ton of inspiration from EVA, not just the character development but the pure science fiction elements that came along with it.

BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, ESPECIALLY GUILTY GEAR are HUGE walking EVA references... even right down to some of the cutscene footage.

http://gear-project.tumblr.com/post/172225055679/this-might-sound-weird-and-probably-funny-but

Basically, whatever they come up with, regardless of whether or not people accept it as canon or even part of EVA, is something people will use as material for their own ideas... True, that could be said of any grand artistic work, but this is EVA, this is a series people treasure in their hearts as fans.

Anyway, point being, I'm aware that people didn't like 3.0, but I didn't think it was that bad... and I certainly don't think 4.0 will have as big an issue compared to EVA's final episode of the TV series.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
At this point, I think I've been waiting for 3.0+1.0 for so long that I'm just glad we finally have something more or less concrete.
I doubt there will be any delays from the 2020 release unlike FFXV. It is disappointing that its like still at least 2 years out and we've been waiting on it for 6. But a lot of that has to do with the fact Khara wasn't even attempting to work on it after 3.0. Like the preview of 3+1 from 3.0 is literally like....

"Hey what could we do for the preview?"

"You know Eva-13.... but Asuka and Mari.... and the Eva is a perfect 1/2 Unit 08 and Unit 02."

"Genius"

Like now that we've seen Unit 08. It's very clear that the preview from 3.0 won't be accurate. And it makes it clear they really didn't have a whole lot planned for 3+1 back at the end of 2012.

It makes it even more ironic because the original plan(as Eva Monkey said in his video)called for these movies to be done by 2009. Literally spanned 3 different decades.

As for whatever end 3+1 decides to throw at us, i'm sure it will be as confusing as EoE, but not like the way episodes 25 and 26 were. EoE was very much the physical end of NGE, yes it goes into Shinji's head once Human Instrumentality happens and everyone is tanged, but it also gives a physical ending to the show. While episodes 25 and 26 were much more about getting across Anno's message and just about ditches the plot to focus on the message.

I do believe 3+1 will have a less confusing ending compared to EoE and Eps. 25/26.

Also I do believe this will be the last animated Evangelion we will see, like yes there will continue to be promotions, merch, and all of that stuff, but as for Anno creating another story within this universe, doubt it.

Last edited:

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
The original series + End of Evangelion is literally sublime. One of the best shows I've watched. Not a big fan of Rebuild so far but that's mainly because it's chopped out all the neurotic tension and replaced it with action. Even though half of what made the original show magic was down to Anno's depression and the need to keep to a strict and shitty budget, sometimes brilliance arises out of depression and desperation.

That said, still hyped for the conclusion because having to work on Godzilla might have reawakened Anno's misanthropy. And if not, still hyped because at least I'll be able to grab a decent t-shirt.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I'm not the hugest fan of the original English dub. Better than the average 90s dub, though. It leaves me wondering why modern dubs seem to be better. Higher budget due to larger western audience?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Depends on the show, but sometimes they do offer multiple dubs.

And dubs have gotten better because in addition to having a larger budget, the studios often work more closely together, and there are a wider range of experienced actors who do dubbing of anime who can contribute their talents, especially since it's less niche as a genre and also as a profession.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Eva was my first and last dub on account of the bootleg VHS I watched it on. I actually quite liked the voice actors! Don't know why Bebop's dub gets so much love but Eva's doesn't. A'course, I've watched the sub every time since, I just prefer subs - but there's nothing wrong with loving dubs! I still hear Shinji's english VA when I think about the character.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
NGE is now available on Netflix. The "director's cut" of the last episodes are used.

Unfortunately, "Fly me to the Moon" has been removed from the end credits (as well as from the episode scenes that's featured). The song is available on JP Netflix though.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
for pride season you take away my gays and trample on my depressed gay teenage history, netflix. this shall not be forgotten nor forgiven

Does Japan not have music rights law? How is it never a problem for them to keep music in their stuff?
japanese music laws actually tend to be pretty strict. a large amount of music (over 95% iirc) is managed by an organisation called jasrac, which was formed to enforce copyrights and distribute royalties to artists. they will charge a fee for using music in public places or at events like weddings, even quoting lyrics is something you need permission for (like if a comic uses a lyric you will see a bit of text at the bottom of the page saying ‘jasrac’ and the song’s reference number). i think some bigger record labels like avex are changing how their music is managed so things might change.

what might have stopped it is the contract with the original artists, which may have had some clause about its use that for some reason or another doesn’t permit it being used overseas (such as it not factoring in on demand streaming as a concept back in the ‘90s so it’s not covered under the original contract). the theme songs for the anime series zeta gundam, which used music by an american artist, were changed in english releases because they only had the rights to use it within asia. it was also the case when it went on streaming sites until they eventually came to a new arrangement to use the original songs.

i think some games have had their music changed for rights reasons in the past? is that what happened with the world ends with you?

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
From what I've read, the problem is they couldn't get the rights for the song everywhere so they changed it for the sake of consistency between regions.

Now, the bit about Shinji and Kaworu, I find quite inexcusable.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
given all of netflix's lgbt-friendly stuff, I doubt it was "censored." It's far more likely that someone just did a fresh translation without checking the old one and the new person translated "suki" more literally (another point against transliteration! :monster:)

Not that they shouldn't change it, I just find it hard to believe they made a conscious change.

Top Bottom