• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Evangelion

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
got a copy of eva 2 on psp, plus a bundle of psp robot wars games including one with tv eva and end of eva. now i want that detective eva game, and also the girlfriend of steel where you can date kaworu.

i am glad that ritsuko got to shoot gendo in the face at last, that's great, you're doing great hun

also when there were like a dozen pen-pens and shinji just kinda hangs out with them. after 2.0 my most burning question was 'but what happened to pen-pen, where is pen-pen'

also when gendo was talking about using headphones to block everything out i had to reevaluate my life a little

i wonder if i could get a local cinema to screen this. but just for me so no one else sees me cry in my seat

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
GKIDS set special edition will contain the old dub as well. No FMTTM though, evidently it costs around $300,000 to license the song per-episode now due to copyright fuckery. Not sure the old dub will be included on the standard edition, and the SE is $300 dollars, and limited to 5000 pieces. Not a set for everyone, that's for sure.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
and i thought i spent too much on the japanese bd boxset lol (objectively i did but i am still debating with myself if i should get the dvd boxset with the broadcast versions, like an absolute simp)

haven’t watched much from it except the bonus disc for the films but i am pretty sure it has the original credits music (like how netflix does for japan but nowhere else)

but it doesn’t have a paperweight shaped like an angel or a lanyard i can wear and pretend i work for nerv

what a predicament i find myself in

when shinji says the phrase ‘neon genesis’

he said it, he said the thing, i never expected that

also ending shinji is voiced by the (now grown up) kid from takashi miike’s youkai daisensou film and i just found out there is a sequel or something this year, what a weird coincidence

the first youkai daisensou featured chiaki kuriyama who apparently once gave kowaru as an example of her ideal man. everything keeps tying together in some kind of loop

or i just spent too much time on wikipedia after watching 3+1 and filled my head with trivia

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
GKIDS set special edition will contain the old dub as well. No FMTTM though, evidently it costs around $300,000 to license the song per-episode now due to copyright fuckery. Not sure the old dub will be included on the standard edition, and the SE is $300 dollars, and limited to 5000 pieces. Not a set for everyone, that's for sure.

Yeah I passed on it (and it's sold out now). For $300 I could have had the old dub and FMTTM ages ago. No sir, it's the Filthy Casual Edition for me.

I really need to watch this last movie. I have low expectations so I cannot be disappointed. :monster:

Seen it twice and haven't formed a real opinion yet. It's either Revenge of the Sith or Rise of Skywalker, but either way I can't stop comparing it to Empire.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
the original broadcast airing versions of the series and films are only available on a separate dvd boxset in japan afaik, but also you could buy both that and the bd set for the same price as this

i am looking through the contents of the japanese and gkids boxsets from their site and from what i can see the gkids one is missing:
- both versions of episodes 21-24? (maybe it's just not clearly listed on gkid's website)
- eva: death (theatrical version)
- test screening version of end of eva with special 'love & pop' preview (anno's debut live action feature)
- title-free ending (i get not having fly me to the moon, but not even the visuals or with different music?)
- genesis 0:0 in the beginning - special advanced version
- episode 26 live action part - special rush edit (gkids lists 'deleted live action scene' but this isn't a deleted scene? this is a special edit by anno using the footage and based on the original script. idk if they're just listing that as an 'deleted scene')
- full sized ending/music clip 'fly me to the moon' (lol obviously)
- animatic for rebirth
- 5.1ch soundtrack - 22 tracks selected by anno from the tv series and films

doesn't seem to include any content from the japanese dvd set also not in the japanese bd set (original as-aired versions of the tv series, death(true) and rebirth, and end of eva, plus two special features shown during rebroadcasts)

conversely, from what i can tell the japanese boxset is missing the following:
- soundtrack tv spot (i haven't watched those on the japanese bd set so it might be included, but it's not listed explicitly online)
- any english dubs or subtitles at all
- the japanese set is 10 discs compared to gkid's 11, but gkids also says it has an 'extra set' of discs for the classic dub but not how many of the 11 discs that is
- the 156 page book (the original japanese bd set from 2015 had a 176 page booklet and reproductions of all 14 issues of 'eva-tomo no kai/friends of eva' magazines but the current reprint doesn't have those)
- art boards, sachiel paperweight, nerv id and lanyard

i already own a bd boxset, and i'm not chomping at the bit for a copy with english dubs (i still haven't watched the netflix one even though it's right there), so dropping 200 quid for this is a little steep. ngl i still thought about it, but if i were going to spend more ridiculous amounts of money on eva home videos i'd probably get that dvd set of the original broadcast versions

but i am going to need someone to come and take away my card so i can't buy any more

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The German BD set has most of these things actually as well as both original and alternate versions of ep. 21 - 24 except previous versions of Death or anything to do with FMTTM obviously.
It does not however have the German dub for End of Evangelion because of copyright shenanigans. It also does not have the English dubs of the Platinum sets (although who gives a crap :monster: )

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Exactly one month ago I started Evangelion on a whim. I've now seen everything. I listen to the soundtrack at work. I've ordered the Platinum Collection. I never imagined I'd be in the trenches of Evangelion discussion one month and one day ago.

Here's my analysis on whether Neon Genesis Evangelion is connected to Rebuild of Evangelion. I posted this over on the subreddit and will copy/paste it here.

A question on a lot of people’s minds is whether the original series, Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion, is one of the previous “time loops” alluded to in Rebuild of Evangelion.

I think not. There’s no doubt some sort of time loop exists in Rebuild of Evangelion, but the theatrical movie series may still be a separate continuity. The key lies in understanding how the "time loop" initiates.

Consider these quotes from Thrice Upon a Time:

Ritsuko: “Beyond the Doors of Guf is the anti-universe, a realm Wunder cannot enter.”

Gendo [on the anti-universe]: “This is the Promised Land, the place where everything started. There are things men cannot change, except here. This is the one and only place, even Fate may be bent to one’s will.

Gendo: “And thus begins the Additional Impact, the process that rewrites not only our cognition, but the entire world as well.”

It appears that initiating an Additional Impact inside the anti-universe is what enables a person to rewrite the world.

In the original series, though human instrumentality did initiate, Shinji did not enter the anti-universe nor was an Additional Impact initiated. He was simply given the choice by Rei/Lilith to accept or reject instrumentality. Upon rejecting instrumentality, anyone else who wished to return to their human form could do so, resulting in Shinji and Asuka awaking on a desolate coast in the movie's final scene.

Furthermore, in End of Evangelion, the souls of Lilith and Adam are seemingly lost, all Angels have been defeated, and the Spear of Longinus is launched into space with Eva-01. As such, there are no known avenues for an Additional Impact to take place after End of Evangelion. How then could a rewrite occur that will lead to Rebuild of Evangelion?

I find this line most interesting:

Shinji: “I won’t rewind time or revert the world. I’m just going to rewrite the world into one that doesn’t have Evas.”

I think in the Rebuild of Evangelion continuity, Shinji has rejected instrumentality before (Gendo even states as much), but in the previous cycles he just chose to “rewind time or revert the world”. He lacked the insight given to him in this cycle. Shinji now sees that the only escape is a world without Evas, though this rewrite process is apparently not perfect. The aftermath of previous cycles can be seen in the streak of blood across the moon and Kaworu’s reincarnations. Even so, similar events must take place that result in Shinji reaching an Additional Impact.

So why introduce a time loop into the series? I think the storytellers wanted to drive home the cyclical nature of trauma. Some moments feel as though you’ve got it all figured out, but fear always creeps its way back in. We oscillate between the highs and lows of hope and despair throughout our lives. This cycle threatens to break us each time. Willpower pushes us further and brings us back to our center. The design of the Spear of Gaius reflects this. Regardless of chronology, Rebuild of Evangelion is the thematic sequel to the original series.

Wow! Between this and FFVIIR, I'm starting to think I like multi-part "time" stories.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
so I'm kind of in a haze because I finally set some time out to rewatch the first movie.

It turned into a very long power watch where I finished the last movie at 4am :wacky:

anyways I'm still thinking about that last one. I think the general vibe I get walking away from it was like when you run into an old, troubled friend who's now well adjusted and has a nice life. My reaction was a satisfied "awww." I'm happy to say farewell to the series.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
their twitter mentioned something about a better upscale of episode 16, and an insert song missing for another episode. does anyone have details for this? my phone has 10% battery and i still can’t charge it so i don’t want to go on a long search right now

but once my power is back on i might instantly buy that 3.333 bd now i have the kit to play 4k uhd stuff

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
since I've sat with it for a day

what I didn't like about the film was: the overly busy action scenes, the blending of CGI during the action parts felt too stylistically different from the hand drawn characters that it felt like I was flipping between different movies altogether (though I would add that the mixed media parts were cool as hell - I really liked the reimagining of Giant Reihead), and Mari was really underdeveloped given her importance to the ultimate send-off (her interactions with Asuka were awesome, but I feel like she could have been given some more time).

I think the original series + EoE packs more of a punch, but that was always a given considering it would be downright unethical to recreate level of conflict surrounding their production, which ultimately informs to their thematic intent.

Other than that I really liked how all the main characters arcs were resolved. I'm seriously considering getting my Eva tattoo in the near future.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I forgot to comment on something that was a big talking point with my co-watcher: as the Rebuild series goes on, the plot progression becomes increasingly jargon-heavy and difficult to follow unless you're super on the ball with the lore and character back stories. I think this is something that the original series may have been guilty of as well, but can't say for certain as it's been years since I've last seen any of it. I realize that this might be something Anno is prone to overall. I recall Shin-Godzilla being difficult to follow on specifics as well, and that was a self-contained film.

I think having binged all of them at once may have made it more difficult to keep my focus once it got to 3.33 and the latter half of the final film, as a lot of details were flying way over my head as I was tiring out. At the same time, I dont think I would have had any semblance of what the hell was happening if I wasn't fresh on everything. Had I hypothetically watched the movies only upon each release, and had little working knowledge of the lore, I think I would be a lot more lost. Even if you try to kind of ignore the mechanations of the plot and just focus on the character suff (which the films don't really have enough space for, as opposed to a full tv series), I think these are still difficult films to digest. As a result, a lot of the plot beats don't really hit because it's just... a lot. Definitely, I think if you want to go into the Rebuilds without being confused as hell, your memory of the previous films should be fresh, and some working knowledge of from the original series backstory would definitely help as well.

Top Bottom