• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Evangelion

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The jargon heavy nerdy lore babble definitely isn’t meant to be essential to understand/important to enjoying/engaging with the story, particularly moreso with the films than the OG series. It’s all largely decorative/for flavor, and Anno indulging in his nerdy otaku schtick.
The character writing is the essential aspect of Evangelion.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think in the third act of 3.0+1.01 it does get a bit jargon-heavy in a way different from the technobabble that you can just sort of half listen to and get the gist from keywords and tone of voice that 'oh no this is bad' or 'oh things are good'.
i am thinking specifically of when shinji enters the minus space and it starts throwing out previously unheard/heard in passing terms like 'infinity' 'evangelion imaginary' 'another impact' 'additional impact' 'spear of gaius', although at that point it starts to cross the line into technobabble.
that said, i don't think any of that hampered my enjoyment of it, and i still managed to follow the emotional through line of the scenes.

rewatching the original series from the start, there's a lot of jargon being said and i am simple and don't understand it. but i think that having a character like shinji who is thrown into this confusing new world, everyone around him saying things you don't understand sort of puts you in the same headspace. i've been contrasting it in my head with ffxiii, which got criticism for starting off with characters using all these undefined terms that the characters understand but the audience doesn't. which compared with having a surrogate character who also doesn't understand, it's a bit like the characters are having a conversation without you. which is rude.

on the subject of the original series, which i'm watching from the japanese bluray boxset, there is another extra that i didn't realise was there since i don't think it was listed on the online content breakdown i was looking at. after finishing the 1st disc's episodes and going to the main menu, there's an option to view the screenplay for the episodes. so all the dialogue, scene descriptions, the majority? of the background dialogue (some of which isn't included in the subtitles--i am saying 'majority' because there was a male background voice in episode 4 that doesn't seem to be listed but maybe i'm wrong, i've only really skimmed it so far). i wasn't expecting that, i am anxious to see if they also have them for death & rebirth/end of eva. but i will wait until i get there on my watch through.

this seems like an extra they wouldn't include in the english release. i would have loved it back in the day but i don't imagine there's a big audience for the script entirely in japanese. having the screenplay on the discs has been a bonus on the japanese releases for the rebuild film as well, but i didn't say anything like it on the uk release for 1.11.

the tv series also has dolby 2ch and 5.1ch audio tracks (i feel like i'm getting those numbers wrong) on the bluray, i don't remember if it said what gkids has.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
tumblr_nvmhesP7V51ucw7ggo1_400.gifv

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I’m due for a rewatch of the original series. I watched it when I was 17 and it left a huge impact (ha). I do wish I watched it when I was 13 though, when I needed it the most - it actually could’ve legit changed the course of the next few years of my life.
Yeah, I also regret not watching it when I was younger. I have this vivid memory to this day of seeing the whole series at a booth at an anime convention when I was a teenager. I started walking over to grab it, but somebody walked right in front of me and snatched it before I could. My whole taste in media was probably drastically altered for years and years by that moment lol.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
watching it with fmttm and hearing the different versions, like when asuka shows up and the ending is tinted red and her voice actress is singing it

that's good shit, just pay the people their money

i think something similar happened with gundam z, except it wasn't an existing song but one that used a melody or something but the rights only covered japan so the international releases needed to use a different one? man licensing is annoying

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
There's a lot of copies floating around though, and their main selling point wasn't FMTTM, it was that they were the only game in town. And to my knowledge all (or most) Platinum variants are SD, no special features, and no EoE (though IIRC the singles come with the booklets). When the dust settles they'll still be worth a lot, but there's going to be some good deals out there in the near term.

EDIT: clean forgot about the commentaries, and there's more special features depending on the flavor. So that's definitely a point for collectability.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
up to episode 13 so just about halfway and i think this is the longest i have gotten in a rewatch (i am just really bad at finishing tv shows), although the next few discs after this one i am in feature two versions of certain episodes. which i have never seen, since i had the old us boxset with the black and red case and iirc they added those for for the platinum box which i think was released in the uk but i never got it

it’s been a long long time since i watched the series and i knew less japanese back then so i am finding it interesting picking up little background details and having some hindsight of how the story plays out

like when ritsuko opens up casper and there’s notes everywhere, and there’s writing over a stack of them that’s like “ikari you stupid bastard” and knowing the relationship between gendou and ritsuko’s mother and in the magi unit representing her as a woman it’s like “oh it’s hinting at stuff”

i went to see if anyone had ripped the scripts from the discs so i don’t have to read them from the tv, which i did find (and i think they have them for all the alternate versions of episodes and films). i only got the scripts but the episodes have also been cleaned up a bunch. the bd retains a lot of film grain

but i kinda like the grain? the screen caps of the edited footage look nice and i am curious to see what it’s look like in motion, but also let me keep some grain. people will artificially add that into digital footage, it gives it character

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
episode 16 on the bd looks rough and i keep thinking it must be intentional? it looks less sharp and more washed out, and i was expecting it to go back normal but it never did. the preview on ep 15 looked a bit off, and i was worried when the next episode preview for 17 had the same look but everything since then has looked normal. what’s up with that

i forgot how cold baby rei was to naoko, you didn’t have to do her like that

also i think it is the first time i am seeing the home video versions of the next four episodes that isn’t the tiny fansubbed video files of just the new scenes that i downloaded before stuff like torrents were a thing. i am watching both versions back to back so it’s fresh in my mind and i can easily pick out the new scenes but it will also slow me down because i am watching the same episodes twice for the next 3

also i paused it during ep 19? to get some food and i walked back in with the big closeup of unit 01’s bandaged face with the eye looking right at the camera, i had forgotten i had paused it like that and when i saw it i got a little scared :(

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Check out my haul this week.

Real happy to get to experience the original run of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Listen, I'm not saying you can't enjoy the Netflix version (i.e. the version without Fly Me to the Moon). That's what I watched first and I was fine. However, I can confirm that having Fly Me to the Moon is objectively better.

I feel like Enter the Matrix needs some context. I can't control that Enter the Matrix features 1-hour of Wachowski directed footage starring Niobe and Ghost that was simultaneously produced alongside Reloaded and Revelations. That's some god-tier canon. And with Matrix 4 coming up, I'm not leaving any stone unturned. I'm the type a fan that goes all in when I like something haha.

IMG_20210927_192246_3.jpg

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
first time watching episode 23’ (can’t remember if any of this new stuff made it into death) but those are some good additions

really liked the expanded 15th angel fight, and when shinji starts growing little hand reis. although they changed the elevator ritsuko takes misato and shinji on and i kinda miss the original one with all the weird lights and stuff.

Top Bottom