• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Expanding Puzzles

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
After reading about Kitase's statement of him working on the Shinra HQ floors 69 and 70 (see here) I started pondering on general expansion possibilities that could happen in the Shinra HQ tower.

There are a few puzzles on some of the last 10 floors which are clearly segregated from lore and story, namely fixing that scale model of Midgar and getting those 3 coupons for rewards. Since the original game was already working with quite a few abstractions in its design, a few abstract puzzles didn't detract too much from the immersion.

But with the more realistic and less abstract approach of the Remake, I'm not sure if such abstract puzzles would still fly without breaking the immersion. Those 2 puzzles mentioned above are the first examples to jump into my mind. I'm sure there are more within the whole game.

Anyway, what do you guys and gals think about this issue? Do you accept abstract puzzles within realistically depicted games without caring much or do you prefer all gameplay aspects being somehow integrated into story, lore or character development?

As a basis for discussion, I'll provide my ideas for how those 2 Shinra HQ puzzles could be altered to better fit the new direction:
  • Midgar scale model: Instead of just grabbing the missing pieces from chests scattered around to finish the model and getting the next key card, Cloud could pretend to have lost his key card and ask for borrowing the one from an employee who agrees to do that if Cloud helps them gather the missing Midgar model pieces. Those could be either lying around somewhere or in possession of other employees who maybe need some convincing. The core design of that puzzle would be the same, of course. Besides increasing immersion, this approach poses another level of challenge on top of the original concept and treats the player with flavor lore.
  • Coupon puzzle: Instead the bare bones puzzle, that machine, which is supposed to grant full access to this floor, has a malfunction which limits the usage of the door key to a mere 3 locks. Also, the last coupon could be in the possession of an employee who got himself locked within one of the rooms thanks to that machine's malfunction. Cloud can, like in the original, use the vents to get to him, help him out and get the last coupon in return. To make things clearer, the player might hear a locked-in employee call for help when passing by that locked room beforehand.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I just hope it's not a timed minigame. I really dislike those.

God I hope not. Those are the worst. Timed segments can go suck a bag of dumplings. I didn't mind the timed escape from the first reactor, though. Granted, it's a story-related timer, so it makes sense and adds to the urgency.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I just hope it's not a timed minigame. I really dislike those.

God I hope not. Those are the worst. Timed segments can go suck a bag of dumplings. I didn't mind the timed escape from the first reactor, though. Granted, it's a story-related timer, so it makes sense and adds to the urgency.

Plus you'd be exhibiting more skill, albeit of a twisted/inverted sort, by failing it.

Top Bottom