• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fallout 3

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Fallout_3_cover_art.PNG

War. War never changes.

From Wikipedia

Fallout 3 is an action role-playing game released by Bethesda Game Studios.[5][10] It is the third major game in the Fallout series, which has also spawned the spin-offs Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

Fallout 3 takes place in the year 2277, 30 years after the setting of Fallout 2 and 200 years after the nuclear war that devastated the game's world.[11] The game places the player in the role of an inhabitant of Vault 101, a survival shelter designed to protect a small number of humans from the nuclear fallout. When the player's father disappears in mysterious circumstances, the player is forced to escape from the Vault and journey into the ruins of Washington D.C. to track him down. Along the way the player is assisted by a number of other human survivors and must battle a myriad of enemies that now inhabit the wasteland. The game has an attribute and combat system typical of an action role-playing game but also incorporates elements of first-person shooter and survival horror games.

This topic is long overdue, man. Where's the Fallout love? Anyway, Fallout 3 came out for PC and XBOX 360 about two weeks ago, and by now mostly everyone who's interested has either played it, beat it, or planning to play it. I've beaten it about a few days ago (for PC) and I have this to say; this game is like crack. I literally could not put it down until I was finished, and I had like two or three all nighters playing this game, exploring the wastelands, seeing how people made it in the post apocalyptic world, and trying to piece together what happened to cause the whole mess.

The game's world is HUGE, and there are STILL places I've never seen or heard of. I think it may be smaller than say Oblivion in terms of straight land mass, but there's so much to do around every corner you won't find everything in a short time no matter what you do. I'm sort of glad I beat the game only because I got my life back.

But yeah, I'll throw in more thoughts as the topic goes along. Discuss! Spoilers are fair game, as long as you use the right tags and hide them!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I literally could not put it down until I was finished

I could, :monster:. I finished it (the main quest) a few weeks ago, and haven't really played it since (well I did, but I went on a killing spree and neatly stacked naked corpses on top of each other and shot off limbs and heads and whatnot, :monster: ).

The obvious comparison is with Oblivion, and on that, I can be pretty brief. Fallout 3 is smaller in terms of land mass (or at least it feels like that), locations and etcetera, and less diverse as well. In terms of quests, Fallout 3 is also lacking in terms of quantity - see here for a list, there's 11 parts in the main quest, and 17 'side' quests, and finally a similar number of 'unmarked' (mini) quests and a handful of repeatable quests (i.e. bring yon old man X metal fgj). Oblivion had several pretty long quest lines, with half a dozen to a dozen quests per major faction, per location (= city), and a load of sidequests.

However, while Fallout 3 doesn't have as much quests, it more than makes up for that in the quantity of quests - each quest is very original and each has its own background story, as opposed to Oblivion's three dozen 'go kill person X' or 'go gather object Y' quests.

Overall, Fallout 3 isn't as extensive as Oblivion was, but it's of a much higher quality. Personally though, I enjoy(ed) Oblivion more, it's got more things to explore, more things to do, etc. I've put quite some hours into Oblivion, and haven't yet seen everything or done everything, but I'm pretty sure I've seen / done it all in Fallout 3. Xfire's comparison, I spent 117 hours (so far) on Oblivion, and 55 on Fallout 3, and I'm more inclined to invest more hours in the former than the latter.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I fully agree with Cthulhu here. I love Fallout, it's a magnificently crafted game, but I did prefer Oblivion's atmosphere.

Coupled with the larger world and variety of places, when I got Oblivion I was routinely up til 4 AM, I've played Fallout a LOT, but I've never had trouble stopping.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
For the record, neither did I for Oblivion, or have had for any game since forever, :monster:.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I really didn't like Oblivion. I can see what they went for, but miles and miles of empty forest with nothing of value in many recycled dungeons is not too much fun.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah but there was more than just forests. Fallout is just wasteland, urban and non. Now that makes sense of course, and there wouldn't be anything else really, but you get my point. Oblivion also had 8(9) cities that all felt distinct and unique. Fallout has...2, really. Again, while that makes sense, it does make for a less interesting world for me.

But may I reiterate, I love both games.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Oblivion is bigger, true. And it's true that Fallout's wasteland is the 'same' as Oblivion's forests.

BUT like I said, Oblivion literally recycles the EXACT same layout for dungeons, with nothing in them really worth exploring, and Fallout is definitely more dense; there's more to do per space.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That's true, the only variation in dungeons (for Oblivion) was the routes and whatnot, and some contained special items or were quest destinations, but most of 'em don't seem to be worth exploring - and yes, I've explored quite a bit.

While in Fallout 3 they recycled the same technique of re-using elements (i.e. tunnel sections, rooms, etc), they managed to make them look less similar by adding details, changing the lighting, and pretty much giving all of 'em some kinda story, in the form of events, inhabitants, notes, etc.

As for empty forests, I enjoy walking around forests better than I liked walking around in the wasteland, probably also because you couldn't actually see there was miles of nothing around you, :monster:.

Top Bottom