• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fan Reactions

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Ah, I got confused when I heard Testu say 'Ra-moo' and then saw this convo, thought I'd had it wrong all this time...

Reactions: Ite

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So when one of us writes "uh..." Are you hearing "oo...?" :monster:

No because I apply English pronunciation to English things. :awesomonster:

And not-English pronunciation to not-English things.

Exception being words that have been around in the English language long enough where the anglified pronunciation is the only accepted one. Like loanwords and shit. Because then they become English things again. (e.g. Leviathan) :wackymonster:

Another thing I noticed is that even though it has been canonized in English that Yuffie's name is pronounced as "Yoo-fee" there are still people out there who say "Ya-fi". Some habits are hard to break.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I will never understand how or why they decided on that English rendering of her name. Like, for all the times people erroneously refer to Aeris as a "mistanslation" despite being a perfectly reasonable way to render that katakana, while they somehow got from ユフィ(yu fi) to a spelling that resembles "fluffy"... Craziness, lol.
I've taken to just renaming her "Yufi" in my games.

As for habits, depends on the word, for some reason. For instance, I bitch about the way they spelled Yuffie, but I haven't had much trouble changing that. Aerith/Aeris I'm pretty ambivalent about, I say both depending on who I'm talking with.
But something like Bahamut? I'm not gonna start saying "ba-ha-moot" and sound crazy to any irl friends even though I know that's correct (especially when even the official games can't make up their minds on how they wanna say it, lol) And so far, same with Ramuh :monster:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I think Ramuh's Japanese name originates from "Lahmu". The name doesn't match any conventional transliterations but it makes the most sense to me.

Always pronounced it to rhyme with llama. I don't see how native English speakers would naturally interpret "muh" as a "moo" sound.

I also don't think I've ever corrected a pronunciation to match a voiced media after first experiencing it in a non-voiced media. With Aerith I often switch between the two at random, but that involves a change of spelling. I'm still using "Tiff-uh", "Yuff-ee", "Cat Sith", "Ren-no", "Nigh-bull-highm" etc.

I think I have this problem everywhere though. Despite now knowing how to correctly pronounce Japanese and read all newly encountered romanised Japanese words correctly, I still usually end up pronouncing things like "Raijin" and "Nobyuo You-mart-su" as I did in the 90s. I'm not sure I've ever read the common surname "Ito" as anything but "Eye-toe", even though it would never cross my mind when reading any other Japanese name starting "I".

58xnl4
58xnl4.jpg

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
I think Ramuh's Japanese name originates from "Lahmu". The name doesn't match any conventional transliterations but it makes the most sense to me.

Always pronounced it to rhyme with llama. I don't see how native English speakers would naturally interpret "muh" as a "moo" sound.

I also don't think I've ever corrected a pronunciation to match a voiced media after first experiencing it in a non-voiced media. With Aerith I often switch between the two at random, but that involves a change of spelling. I'm still using "Tiff-uh", "Yuff-ee", "Cat Sith", "Ren-no", "Nigh-bull-highm" etc.

I think I have this problem everywhere though. Despite now knowing how to correctly pronounce Japanese and read all newly encountered romanised Japanese words correctly, I still usually end up pronouncing things like "Raijin" and "Nobyuo You-mart-su" as I did in the 90s. I'm not sure I've ever read the common surname "Ito" as anything but "Eye-toe", even though it would never cross my mind when reading any other Japanese name starting "I".

If I understand correctly, you’re saying that you can’t break mispronunciation of some names or words despite now knowing how to read Japanese?

If so, this is totally normal and can be really difficult to break out of.

Top Bottom