• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fandom Weirdness

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
So I have NO IDEA why I even have this saved, but this was it, right? (For those that missed out on ACF, enjoy - this is a genuine artifact from, like, the mid-2000s)

I0aaauJ.jpg

I always thought the text sounded a bit tongue-in-cheek; SY wasn't kidding around with her obsession, though, that was not an affected eccentricity.
Ah yes, this is the good stuff.

I always love how you can just tell when things like this were made, both because of the renders they used (it'd definitely be remake assets now, for instance) the silly nickname they use, and that font. I miss the 2000's internet sometimes. It was weirder.

Whoa, I wonder why no one on Youtube's talked about this.
I have mixed feelings about YouTube videos chronicling the lives of these mentally ill people. It's sort of like we're putting these people in a zoo, pointing at them and laughing at them for their tragedy. Then there's the detail that the more time passes, especially when years turn to decades, there is an increasing chance that perhaps the "perpetrators" have recovered and just wants to leave that ugly past behind them. Yet here comes the popular horror memes and the popular YouTube videos, not allowing them to forget what they once did. Is it justice? Is it torture?

At best, documentaries about cults might help people identify when their friends or family are falling into cult-like settings. That would be the "public health" argument for raising old drama. The personalities who are likely to fall into cults will do so regardless of logic and infomercials, so I see more hope in friends and family saving people from such dark waters.

I suppose it also depends on the style of the documentary. If done superficially, the investigation is merely a feeding on human drama, voyeurism of the miserable. A select few Down the Rabbit Hole videos definitely gave me this feeling and I had to stop watching because I felt complicit in something ugly. Perhaps my anxiety can be boiled down to the topic of privacy, understanding that the Internet kills privacy yet also wanting to preserve privacy to some degree. Kind of how I felt soiled when I spent months trying to find a long-lost person who might have old Final Fantasy mobile games, yet also wanting to reach that treasure I was coveting.

Now, I *am* an overly anxious and conflicted person. Maybe I'm making a hen out of a feather and planting others with the seeds of my own anxiety. People love drama and that's how it's always been. But I hope that nobody will make a video about Summoner Yuna and *especially* not a video about "Mister J" because I don't want to give these names newfound power by raising the spotlight on them. This is why I will not mention certain names from dramatic fandom history, most importantly not those who may be defined as narcissists, because they will feed on the attention.

I will not judge anyone for raising flags like "keep away from this, this and this person for reasons x, y and z". The strategy makes sense and is valid. But it's also valid to not want to kick the horse that's been dead for years. Different strokes for different folk.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
There's definitely a fine line with that sort of content. There's a decent sized part of YouTube that does nothing but mock the likes of the mentally ill for their audiences amusement, which I find pretty gross. I think DTR is good about being impartial in his more recent videos covering such people, but a lot of them are just needlessly cruel. I can't deny that it can be morbidly fascinating to hear about people like SY, but I guess it might be better to leave well enough alone sometimes. This stuff can ruin those people's lives if they get too much attention because some content creator decided they'd make a good view generator.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
@Shademp Agreed. Fascinating as it is, and when I was younger I treated the whole thing as a lulzy freakshow. But looking back there were obviously some very ill and/or neurodivergent people, often very young people and it doesn't seem right to keep raking over the coals. Especially when they've moved on.

The FFVII House situation sounded like a police matter to me, someone came here and started a thread about it a while back under the guise of "investigating" but it just came across as sensationalism to me.

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
@Shademp Agreed. Fascinating as it is, and when I was younger I treated the whole thing as a lulzy freakshow. But looking back there were obviously some very ill and/or neurodivergent people, often very young people and it doesn't seem right to keep raking over the coals. Especially when they've moved on.

The FFVII House situation sounded like a police matter to me, someone came here and started a thread about it a while back under the guise of "investigating" but it just came across as sensationalism to me.
The Tattle-Crime Lady?

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
There's definitely a fine line with that sort of content. There's a decent sized part of YouTube that does nothing but mock the likes of the mentally ill for their audiences amusement, which I find pretty gross. I think DTR is good about being impartial in his more recent videos covering such people, but a lot of them are just needlessly cruel. I can't deny that it can be morbidly fascinating to hear about people like SY, but I guess it might be better to leave well enough alone sometimes. This stuff can ruin those people's lives if they get too much attention because some content creator decided they'd make a good view generator.
Yeah, that's how you get things like the Chris Chan situation.

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
The only thing I still find curious about that whole ordeal is how seemingly everyone involved managed to disappear off the face of the earth afterwards (not that anyone should try to seek them out.)
I wonder what Jen or any of the other people we talked about thought about the remake? ?

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
and *especially* not a video about "Mister J" because I don't want to give these names newfound power by raising the spotlight on them.
My fear with him is that at this rate he’ll either piss enough people off that somebody makes a YouTube video about him or a thread on Kiwi Farms or something just out of spite or he’ll do something himself that actually demands some sort of response, and that kind of attention is the last thing this situation needs especially knowing there’s a kid involved

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
My fear with him is that at this rate he’ll either piss enough people off that somebody makes a YouTube video about him or a thread on Kiwi Farms or something just out of spite or he’ll do something himself that actually demands some sort of response, and that kind of attention is the last thing this situation needs especially knowing there’s a kid involved
Who's Mister J?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't really think he's interesting enough on his own to warrant that kind of attention. The FF7 house is a whole epic saga with a lot of characters and moving parts, people like Spoony are interesting because of their fall from grace, chris chan got so much attention because of people's active efforts to mess with him. Mr. J is just a guy who likes an insignificant character too much, there's a lot of people like that.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Who's Mister J?
He was mentioned a few times in this thread already, he’s a fanfic writer who’s really into Jessie and wants her to have a greatly expanded role in FF7R, which I guess is okay in itself but he can be really obsessive about it and has somewhat of a reputation on Twitter for always replying to official pages and fan pages with his spiel about wanting her to be treated like Aerith and Tifa and was banned from this site shortly after I joined here. There’s also some stuff about a girlfriend and a kid but it might be in poor taste to go into detail about that.

Isn't Kiwi Farms a peado nest?
I don’t know much about the site but based on the handful of times I’ve come across it, that would definitely not surprise me

I don't really think he's interesting enough on his own to warrant that kind of attention. The FF7 house is a whole epic saga with a lot of characters and moving parts, people like Spoony are interesting because of their fall from grace, chris chan got so much attention because of people's active efforts to mess with him. Mr. J is just a guy who likes an insignificant character too much, there's a lot of people like that.
Yeah, I just worry because these things can escalate so easily...hopefully by the time the next part of Remake comes out we can just look back and say “wow, remember him? Wonder if he’s been well?” but I don’t have much faith in the cruelty of the internet.

I guess on a somewhat related note, I’ve seen a lot of mentions on other sites (man, I need to find better places to browse lol) of somebody who goes by “Cali”? I hope I’m not opening Pandora’s box or anything, I just know this person is a hardcore shipper with a bad reputation but for all the times I’ve seen that name thrown around going back years, I don’t know anything else about them so I wonder if there’s any insight y’all can share.

Top Bottom