Fanon Stereotypes! or How We Learned to Continue Worrying and Rant a Bunch

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I have decade-old rage feelings about this fandom. If they were people, they would be in the fifth grade. I must once again give them voice, out of respect. The 7 things that bother me (today) about Fanon interpretations of characters ranked from least to most irritating: [/SPOILER]

Where the hell did this stereotype come from? It pops up in fanfiction not often, but it’s really memorable when it does. In the bad way. Perhaps she’s viewed through the lens of people who know and resent a lot of Valley girl types. Because it is always annoying, distracting, and the other characters seem to hate her about it. To me, she’s a conniving, sarcastic manipulator who is heir to a Kingdom she is ashamed of. For some reason, that’s less interesting to write about than a cartoon materia gremlin who bounces off the walls all the time.

And about the materia obsession, she is interested in restoring the glory of her kingdom, not owning all the materia because of a fetish or whatever. The materia is basically a macguffin to her, and thinking that it is the ends for her, not the means, is a little upsetting, but not as bad as…

You are focusing on the wrong part of that scene, the one in which he yells at Shera because she has not served Cloud tea. Cid freaking out about tea has nothing to do with tea. It has everything to do with the way Cid feels about guests. Even though they have been a confusing nuisance, invasive, and an energy-suck, he will still treat weird strangers like honored guests in his home. He won't, however, extend this same courtesy onto Shera, his dubious life-partner [citation needed] which allows for her to feel like she has to justify his behavior by explaining how she ruined his life [citation needed]. The great punch-line, of course, is when Cid returns after her story to find she still hasn't served their guests, which sends him into a confused rage.

The story is propelled forward by Cid's conflicting passions, both the love and generosity he extends to strangers, and the guilt and anger he feels around Shera. We learn a lot about Cid in very few lines, and the word tea is as interchangeable as the word chair or coat. Depictions of Cid in which he is a tea-crazed maniac with Turret’s syndrome are wrong and bad, and a little reductive, and they are Everywhere in fandom.

I won’t go on about this, because I know for a fact that my opinion of Sephiroth is decidedly not canon. But the momma’s boy jokes are tired. Sephiroth controls Jenova (apparently) and is using her to swallow the souls of the dead. Try to show a little respect, unless you are trolling, in which case never mind.

People on one side of the Love Triangle Debate (probably the most venomous shipping war since Snape shacked up with Hermione) pick their ship, be Team Tifa or Team Aeris, and then they will hurl insults at the rival female through frothing mouths. One of the more common ones (although thankfully less common these days) is to call Tifa a slut, which is lacking evidence and more importantly NOT AN INSULT. It would bother me less if she were a slut, because then they are just closed-minded but they at least understand Tifa's character. But it would bother me not at all if the word slut was no longer used as an insult. Grow up.

Imagine a life in which you see your father shot to death in infancy, his blood splashing all over your tiny face. Then you and your mother are kept in test tubes and experimented on until you are around seven. Then imagine escaping being the first time you ever use your legs. Imagine the first thing you ever really see outside of a white room is a dirty, polluted slum. Imagine growing up never having seen the sun, never learning to read, dealing with having men try to rape you or rob from you or bring you back to be experimented on. Having to learn how to kill people just to stay alive. Having abilities that would get you discovered or judged or othered, and so living in constant hiding. Having the voices of the Planet which comforted you as a child turn to dying screams as the years go on.
Imagine having the personality of a pure flower after that.
Why does this stereotype keep happening? It can’t be that people love Aeris so much that they are projecting an image of perfection onto her – at least I hope not, because pure innocent flower hasn’t meant perfect since Chaucer times and I am glad of it – and anyway, if they loved her so much they would, I assume, extend their compassion to her enough to see her life as something that made her, not just that she rose above? I have a feeling it’s the Jesus Effect.
Through the western lens, Jesus is our cultural archetypical hero, and he is wonderful because unlike every other hero in mythology who follows the same story, he WAS a pure and innocent flower (right?) and his death is super sad but he gave us hope in a world we can build with the things he taught us. Aerith follows the exact same story path, as does Neo in the Matrix (who also, by the end of the franchise, was seen as a bland and foolish ideal (but that might have just been Keanu). People project the qualities of Jesus onto Aerith because of cognitive dissonance.
I would like to test this theory. Can we go to a rabid Clerith website and ask them if they believe in Jesus? How does it correlate. I would also like to know how it correlates with Clerith’s who call Tifa a slut. I would like to do some tests!

Man, this fandom gets around on the offensive list.
Look, guys, I know Barret's skin colour and redneck voice are... poorly matched, but there is a difference between depicting Barret as how he actually is, or how black you think he is. Because guess what? Cid cusses more than Barret, and they use almost the same amount of gits and outtas and offas, because they are both hicks. Barret isn't a gangsta, he is an uneducated coal miner in a party of princesses, rocket scientists, and a magical hyper-intelligent beast. He grapples with huge issues to the best of his abilities, is a caring father, and would die for his friends and for his cause. His flaws are that he postures, is easily manipulated, and prone to rage when he is frustrated. Not that he's a bling-wearing stereotype (not that there's anything wrong with bling). At this point, your depiction of Barret only proves how racist you are, not the creators.

A particular comparison I am tired of is Mr. T. It was never clever to begin with, and has been increasingly annoying the further away from the nineties we get, as has the big one…

Cloud is a badass poser with a chip on his shoulder. Underneath, he’s an awkward, loveable farm boy hero. He learns to reconcile the two, and then gets a debilitating disease and decides to abandon his friends because he knows it would hurt them too much to watch him die. Like Aeris, even a remotely superficial look at him as a character destroys this stereotype, so why does it persist? I have a theory.
Cloud isn’t a moody, whining introvert who wants to wallow all day and listen to My Chemical Romance, FF7 fans are!

I don’t mean all of them, but I would venture that even now that we are basking in the glow of nerd-chic (or is that just adulthood?) half the kids who like Final Fantasy are moody, whining introverts, probably because they are nerdy teenagers and they were unlucky enough to get bullied about it. You know the story, nerdy teenager finds solace in role playing game, begins to associate their qualities unto Cloud instead of moving on to FF8, and when they start talking about Cloud, they are describing only the parts of Cloud that they can relate to (poser? check) or that they want to relate to (badass? check) and so the fanon reaction to that will be largely “Cloud seems to be a real whiner.” When no! … that’s Squall. And most teenagers, actually.

The sequels focusing on his mood during the debilitating disease period of his life didn’t help, I’m sure. All the moping around and American Apparel posturing (instead of the All-American Hero posturing) probably made it worse.

Did I miss any?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Advent Children, and to a certain extent his Vincent-esque Kingdom Hearts protrayal, is what seriously exploded the #1 stereotype. I'd go into an essay showing all the evidence and rants explicitely against that misunderstanding, but maybe another time when I have the energy, lol.

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
I had a post but they internet ate it and now I can't be assed :smashedmonster:

Basically it was a I don't really like the "Evil Underneath All That Pink" version of Aerith either, and that neither Tifa or Aerith are sluts, and I don't like them being seriously portrayed as that either not just when it's done as bashing but it's seriously used with some sort of serious justification (or attempted as such) in order to try and make them out to be more interesting with that or something, and that they are interesting enough already type rant, not because if they were sluts it would be a bad thing, because yeah be more open minded, but because they just aren't. Rant :pinkmonster:

Reactions: Ite

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Thinking Rufus and Tseng are Mr Burns and Smithers respectivley.

Thinking Tseng is a neat freak.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Recently the whole "Tifa is an emotionally abusive woman who jealously nags Cloud from thinking about Aerith" has been making its rounds. It's pretty frustrating on how persistent it is.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I hate number 1! He's "emo" for a grand total of like 45 minutes of gameplay! Stupid retconning his character to make him seem more fragile!

A couple that I see:

Yuffie and Vincent are OTP. Where did this even comefrom? Is it because they are the "secret characters"? I actually make fun of this in my story Marlene's Surprise:

Barret, not sure what to say, tested the waters. "I thought you and Vincent…"

"Why does everybody think that?" Yuffie cried. "What do we have in common? Seriously?"

One that, I'll admit I exploit is that Rufus is a bumbling idiot of a CEO. In the game he's one of the more menacing characters, so I think it was just a collecti e "lets take him down a peg".

Another one I exploited early on but stopped was Scarlet's promiscuity. I think that actually has mildly mysogynistic feelings behind it: powerful woman must have slept her way to the top. I mean jeez she's a brilliant woman, evil genius I say, so why she get that bum rap.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Man, this fandom gets around on the offensive list.
Look, guys, I know Barret's skin colour and redneck voice are... poorly matched, but there is a difference between depicting Barret as how he actually is, or how black you think he is. Because guess what? Cid cusses more than Barret, and they use almost the same amount of gits and outtas and offas, because they are both hicks. Barret isn't a gangsta, he is an uneducated coal miner in a party of princesses, rocket scientists, and a magical hyper-intelligent beast. He grapples with huge issues to the best of his abilities, is a caring father, and would die for his friends and for his cause. His flaws are that he postures, is easily manipulated, and prone to rage when he is frustrated. Not that he's a bling-wearing stereotype (not that there's anything wrong with bling). At this point, your depiction of Barret only proves how racist you are, not the creators.

A particular comparison I am tired of is Mr. T. It was never clever to begin with, and has been increasingly annoying the further away from the nineties we get, as has the big one…

Cloud is a badass poser with a chip on his shoulder. Underneath, he’s an awkward, loveable farm boy hero. He learns to reconcile the two, and then gets a debilitating disease and decides to abandon his friends because he knows it would hurt them too much to watch him die. Like Aeris, even a remotely superficial look at him as a character destroys this stereotype, so why does it persist? I have a theory.
Cloud isn’t a moody, whining introvert who wants to wallow all day and listen to My Chemical Romance, FF7 fans are!

I don’t mean all of them, but I would venture that even now that we are basking in the glow of nerd-chic (or is that just adulthood?) half the kids who like Final Fantasy are moody, whining introverts, probably because they are nerdy teenagers and they were unlucky enough to get bullied about it. You know the story, nerdy teenager finds solace in role playing game, begins to associate their qualities unto Cloud instead of moving on to FF8, and when they start talking about Cloud, they are describing only the parts of Cloud that they can relate to (poser? check) or that they want to relate to (badass? check) and so the fanon reaction to that will be largely “Cloud seems to be a real whiner.” When no! … that’s Squall. And most teenagers, actually.

The sequels focusing on his mood during the debilitating disease period of his life didn’t help, I’m sure. All the moping around and American Apparel posturing (instead of the All-American Hero posturing) probably made it worse.

Fuck. Yes.

We don't always agree, Ite, but it's been some time since I've agreed with someone this hard. Every single word is 100% accurate. And those are easily my two most hated fan assumptions.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I dunno. I disagree on your observations about Barret.

Barret does speak like many African Americans do, from the contractions and grammar and everything. It is pretty obvious they were going for the 'angry black man' rather than the 'angry coal miner' angle. But even then, what's wrong with this? It's not as if Barret is a total caricature of a black cultural microcosm or anything, and its not like 'gangsta' is the only African American subculture that exists, much less exists and has its own speech patterns. That's how many, many black people actually talk. I for one think the Barret=Angry Black Dude observation is pretty much on the mark and intentional by the creators.

source: im black
source 2: having grown up in pennsylvania, i've met actual no bullshit coal miners. they dont talk like barret

Last edited:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Let's talk about the stereotype of Sephiroth being obsessed with Cloud. In any fan based thing that is the main focus of his being which is trolling the chocobo head and ruining his life. He rarely has any desire to destroy the world so he can become a god or travel the universe to find other worlds.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
As reasons to be depressed go, I think 'terminally ill' is a pretty valid one.

On Barret: Interesting. Why do people think he's uneducated? Sure, he worked in a coal mine, but he has at least as good a chance of being reasonably educated as Cloud and Tifa, who are also from a tiny mountain town. Running a coal mine is something that an education would come in handy for, and from what we see, decisions about it were made by vote.

Another one I exploited early on but stopped was Scarlet's promiscuity. I think that actually has mildly mysogynistic feelings behind it: powerful woman must have slept her way to the top. I mean jeez she's a brilliant woman, evil genius I say, so why she get that bum rap.

Yeah, one of the stereotypes that annoys me is
. There's no reason to believe that. Women have risen high in the Science (Lucrecia), Space Exploration (Shera), Weapons Dev (Scarlet), and Turks. We don't meet any Urban Dev or Public Safety people identified as such. The assumption that all the army and SOLDIER are men is one that's on the player, not the games (they all wear masks and talk in textboxes) Women are admitted to the military school, and given special awards when they excel.

On Barret: Interesting. Why do people think he's uneducated? Sure, he worked in a coal mine, but he has at least as good a chance of being reasonably educated as Cloud and Tifa, who are also from a tiny mountain town. Running a coal mine is something that an education would come in handy for, and from what we see, decisions about it were made by vote.

It may come from the fact that if you decide to have Cloud go through the Materia Tutorial, Barret ends up confused and angry.

{BARRET}
“&$*#! What's this,
'It wasn't that tough!' crap?”
“I don't get it!….”
“You just handle the Materia, {CLOUD}!”

Also you will notice in the Beginner's Hall that in the instances where Barret splits from your party, Barret will quickly look exhausted when you talk to somebody or select a tutorial. The obvious point is that Barret's information processing capabilities are limited. But I can't think of any other parts of the game, or the Compilation, where this side of Barret is shown.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Yeah, one of the stereotypes that annoys me is
. There's no reason to believe that. Women have risen high in the Science (Lucrecia), Space Exploration (Shera), Weapons Dev (Scarlet), and Turks. We don't meet any Urban Dev or Public Safety people identified as such. The assumption that all the army and SOLDIER are men is one that's on the player, not the games (they all wear masks and talk in textboxes) Women are admitted to the military school, and given special awards when they excel.

This this this. When Aeris says "Maybe they think I have what it takes to be in SOLDIER." Cloud says (casually imo) "Maybe you do. Do you want to join?" That says everything it needs to.
Then later Cloud fucks everything up by being all "getting help from a girl, aww maaaan" and I have no idea where his sexism comes from. Every time he tells Tifa and Aeris that "it's too dangerous!" is a nice way of letting us know he cares about them, but it's irritating.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
This this this. When Aeris says "Maybe they think I have what it takes to be in SOLDIER." Cloud says (casually imo) "Maybe you do. Do you want to join?" That says everything it needs to.
Then later Cloud fucks everything up by being all "getting help from a girl, aww maaaan" and I have no idea where his sexism comes from. Every time he tells Tifa and Aeris that "it's too dangerous!" is a nice way of letting us know he cares about them, but it's irritating.

This one is tricky. Tifa is an able combatant, but it's somewhat of an anomaly, due to the inherent differences in men and women's biology (men are on the whole stronger than women), men have been more associated with combat since forever. Because of this, the natural inclination is for males to protect women. I don't think this is out of any malicious sexism, but natural programming backed up by reality sometimes. This is where the reality sits in that life isn't fair and that men are biologically so much stronger than women that even technical and superior skill can be irrelevant.

The biological ceiling of strength for men is almost several orders of magnitude higher than it is for women. The mindset of 'aww help from a girl' can be childish but I mean, it has reason.

When I was on deployment for example, we trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There were plenty of women that were more skilled, way more skilled, in the art than I was, but oftentimes it was rendered irrelevant by the fact that I was so much stronger than them I could pretty much just pin them down and that would be the end of it regardless.

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
”7. Thinking Yuffie is a Valley girl spaz”

Yes I am guilty. I'm sorry.

"He's adorable!" Yuffie shouted when Denzel entered. She ran towards him with open arms and hugged him so tight around his shoulders that he couldn't move. Then she gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He wiped the cooties off and then realized who she was. "I saw you fighting that huge Bahamut with your ninja star!"

"No, sweetie, it's called a Shuriken," she said in a soft voice. "But yes!" she proclaimed loudly with a grand arm gesture, "that was me, the Great Ninja Yuffie, Wutai's greatest warrior!"

Yuffie took Denzel's hand and ran him to where Vincent was standing.

"Denzel, this is Vincent. Vincent, this is Denzel, my new crush."

"What a relief. I was about to file a restraining order on you."

"Ha! Don't flatter yourself."

Vincent looked embarrassed but he quickly shifted his attention toward Denzel.
"Don't worry, kid, she can't cause you trouble if you avoid eye contact."

Shoot! We already made eye contact!

"What's a restraining order?"

They heard a loud, puppy-like "GRRYEOOW!" from across the room. Denzel turned to look.

Yuffie had stealthily dashed over and performed a sneak-attack pounce on the red furry wolf creature that Denzel had seen at the church. She had her arm around its neck and was vigorously scrubbing its head with her knuckles.

"Denzel!" Yuffie shouted. "Come over here and meet Red!"

"Please let me go. You know I do not like this," Red whispered.

"But I have to introduce you to Denzel!"

"You did not need to ambush me to accomplish that."

Yuffie giggled and gently let go of him.

Denzel approached. "Hi, Red! Great Ninja Yuffie, is he your pet?"

Last edited:
The biological ceiling of strength for men is almost several orders of magnitude higher than it is for women.
*Remembers that my whole life I've only ever been at or below the strength level of women, even when exercising*

Damn it all. /off-topic

Lex

Administrator
This would make a nice opinion piece for the front end site. Excellent topic btw :monster:

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Yuffie and Vincent are OTP. Where did this even comefrom? Is it because they are the "secret characters"?

[...]

One that, I'll admit I exploit is that Rufus is a bumbling idiot of a CEO. In the game he's one of the more menacing characters, so I think it was just a collecti e "lets take him down a peg".
On Vincent and Yuffie: Yuffie spends a lot of time around Vincent in DoC and apparently cares about him enough to go out of her way to assist him more than once. Yuffie is additionally the only party member who is tenacious (read: annoying) enough to really get under Vincent's skin. Also, it's not hard to see that the pairing is one of the few pairings where both characters have room to grow in/from the relationship (not unlike Squall/Rinoa in FF8). Whether or not it's your cup of tea is another thing entirely.

I don't read enough FF7 fanfiction to know when it got popular or if it is even popular, but I wouldn't be surprised if Guardian1's fanfics endeared people to the pairing. She writes a killer Yuffie in "Tastes Like Green" and "But That Was In Another Country."

Also, I'm just curious, but where exactly do you get the sense that Rufus is a bumbling idiot of a CEO?

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero

This one can't be helped since SE keep making it seem that the post VII personality is his true self and they keep rolling with that in his KH and other cameos. His depressing voice doesn't help either.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
The Yuffie/vincent thing was present well before DoC. I reckon it was because of mostly teenage (at the time of the games release) Vincent fangirls marysue projecting onto Yuffie. Thats my theory anyway. :monster:

The Cid/Vincent thing seems to stem entirely Cid saying "lets go to bed" in the ghost hotel.

Edit: actually it was vinnie and the quote goes " "Hey Cid, let's go back to our rooms"

Flimsy as gossamer!

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Cloud's earned the right to be emo for the rest of his life. Sure, nobody has to like it, but there you have it.

There's also an easy way to explain the discrepancy between his FF7 persona and his AC persona: When you have a Goal, it's remarkably easy to push all other concerns aside and pretend that everything is hip-hip-hooray fine and dandy (well, as fine and dandy as it can be). Cloud's shown himself to be good at compartmentalization and self-deception all throughout the game. With the fate of the Planet resting in his hands, it's exactly the sort of thing he'd do -- act fine, even if he's still reeling inside, because someone's gotta save the Planet, and hell, it's gotta be him, and if that means he has to set aside his own personal feelings for a while, then sure, that's a small sacrifice.

But in the absence of such a Goal (post OG), it all comes rushing back to you, because you have a lot of time to think without the impending "world-is-gonna-end" worry hanging over you. So I don't find his characterization inconsistent at all; if anything, I thought it was inevitable that he'd have a breakdown of some sort after the game. I mean, I don't like AC and have more than a few complaints with it, but Cloud's characterization is actually not one of them.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I describe Cloud as emo often, but really it's the writers who have made him that way and thats what pisses me off. I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "fans wouldnt identify with/relate to a happy/content Cloud"

Not that I'm expecting everything to be perfect with Cloud given what he has been through, but AC put him back to square one. Just seems like lazy storytelling to me.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
And that's what fanfic is for! To fix the lazy writing! You just gotta put in the work yourself to get there. ;)

We all like different types of stories. "And then happily ever after" isn't one that I'd ever envisioned for Cloud even before watching AC, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

I occasionally forget that Vincent's actually hot and emo (thereby multiplying his hotness by 12x), so yeah, seems that Vincent/Yuffie was almost inevitable. Could live without Cid/Vincent, ofc, but if people want to write that, who am I to judge them for it? Hey, if someone can pull it off well, then all the more power to them! That's one of the great things about fanfic; you read a summary and think, "No goddamn way," but then you read the story, and by the end, they've somehow convinced you of this pairing or that interpretation. Funny how that works.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I don't like nor expect happy stories, my problem was Clouds character arc became a character loop :monster:

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
I don't think it's a character loop. He was "emo" in AC, because he felt useless. He failed Aerith, he failed Zack, and he was failing the children (in fact, had contracted Geostigma himself while searching for a cure, which just makes him feel even more useless).

Meanwhile, in FF7 ... well, in the first case, I don't actually think he was ever "emo" in FF7 like he was in AC. Second of all, his conflict in FF7 is completely different from his conflict in AC. FF7 is about his identity crisis, not about his past failures or sins, so I can't say I agree with you.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
There is a small group of Final Fantasy fans that have actually tried to portray Dr.Hojo probably the most evil person in the game as sympathetic or having a hidden soft side. Some people think that Hojo actually cared for Sephiroth deep inside but had trouble showing it. The reason for this is when the party confronts Hojo when he is firing the Sister Ray in order to power up his own son. Cloud seems to think the scientist is doing it to make up for all the wrongs done against his own son. Hojo once again shows he is a jerk with a heart of a jerk when he says he is doing it to see his greatest experiment bloom in this case help his own son destroy the world just so he can revel in the fact that he created the greatest being in existence.

Top Bottom