• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fanon Stereotypes! or How We Learned to Continue Worrying and Rant a Bunch

That was a hilarious post, Fancy.

Well. I kind of like it with Vincent, because he's supposed to be several generations older than the rest of the gang. A bit like Austin Powers. Groovy, baby. He should talk in a way that reflects the generational differences. But maybe not Regency English.

As for Nanaki, my guess is that fic writers are trying to convey that a non-human mind is speaking. If I were writing Nanaki, I think I would immerse myself in Native American writing first, because that seems to be the sort of mindset he springs from.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Haha, right, I can definitely appreciate Vincent sounding much more mature than the others given that he's much older than he appears... but definitely not Regency English! X)

For Vincent, I would reference mayhaps an middle to upper class person living in the 50s (America)? So the English is always enunciated and precise with very little slang.

And yet I can't imagine him with a Transatlantic accent which was apparently trendy amongst those from the upper classes who wanted to sound cultured. :P

Good point about Nanaki! I would imagine any Native American tribe adapting English would be very precise and literal with their words, too, with the occasional dropping of a indigenous word every now and then.

Celes777

Pro Adventurer
AKA
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." -Vincent to Lucrecia at some point maybe.

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha LMAO
I definitely have seem in some fics Vincent speak with...iuno, GRE vocab?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
....I kind of like it when Vincent and Nanaki use grandiloquent language.

throwing-tomatoes-gif-3.gif

I justify it as Vincent being a hopeless romantic emerging from a time capsule and Nanaki is trying very very hard to be a grown up. Maybe it’s all just because I think long words are delicious...

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
That was a hilarious post, Fancy.

Well. I kind of like it with Vincent, because he's supposed to be several generations older than the rest of the gang. A bit like Austin Powers. Groovy, baby. He should talk in a way that reflects the generational differences. But maybe not Regency English.

As for Nanaki, my guess is that fic writers are trying to convey that a non-human mind is speaking. If I were writing Nanaki, I think I would immerse myself in Native American writing first, because that seems to be the sort of mindset he springs from.

Now I imagine Vincent as being a relic of the 70's or even 80's depending if canon ever clears up the confusion of the timeline.

Ite

AKA
Ite
“My long sleep has given me time to atone for my totally gnarly sins. It’d be mondo tubular to exact my revenge on Hojo, who’s a total barf bag. In the most excellent name of my bodacious lady love, Lucrecia.”

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
“My long sleep has given me time to atone for my totally gnarly sins. It’d be mondo tubular to exact my revenge on Hojo, who’s a total barf bag. In the most excellent name of my bodacious lady love, Lucrecia.”

Ha ha.

On the other hand, I think he would be the proto-goth person in leiu of the Addam's family.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I am always deeply offended when folks try to give Reno the moral compass that he lacks.

You know what I mean??

Like, the writers who depict him that way would rather make him out to be this "Nice Guy" who didn't realise the extent of evil that Shin-Ra commits than write him as the cut-throat killer that he is. And he always ends up having some crisis at a point when he finds out some extra horrid truth about Shin-Ra that leads to depression and a path of repentance. That arc usually ends with him hooking up with Tifa LOL and normally involves him getting unsolicited life advice from Marlene (which he takes seriously)...

garbage!!!

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I am always deeply offended when folks try to give Reno the moral compass that he lacks.

You know what I mean??

Like, the writers who depict him that way would rather make him out to be this "Nice Guy" who didn't realise the extent of evil that Shin-Ra has committed rather than write him as the cut-throat killer that he is. And he always ends up having some crisis at some point when he finds out some truth that leads to depression and a path of repentance. Usually ends up with Tifa LOL or gets life advice from Marlene...

garbage!!!

Lol. When I was a more active reader down in the Pit, Reno fics seemed to always portray him as super-mega damaged and angsty, hiding his tender heart from the world because of childhood trauma.

Usually the childhood trauma was due to his past as a rent boy and/or his physically abusive father.
:desucait:

Reno does have a moral compass, it's just different from everybody else's moral compass. For him, Shinra is the greatest good and anything that promotes Shinra's interests is good. To some extent he lives by the "do unto others" rule, but it's more like, "yeah, I'm putting' the boot in here, but it's not like you wouldn't do the same to me if you got the chance." He is a man of his word. (Except he never delivered on that secret weapon he promised. Hmm) He quite enjoys violence but he also thinks it's a really efficient way of getting things done. In "The Kids Are Alright", he and Rude beat up Evan because they wrongly thought he'd stolen from Shinra, but when they realised their mistake, they decided to make it up to him by helping him, and soon considered him a friend they'd go out of their way for. Tseng was a lot more focused and ruthless. Elena was the most violent of all.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The Turks morality hinges on two directly contradictory concepts.

1. They're unwilling participants in Shinra's various unethical projects.

2. They're the backbone of Shinra and totally have the power to wriggle out of every order they don't like.

They talk about their professional pride and loyalty a lot, but constantly wriggle out of any order they don't like, up to and including allowing Shinra solders to die because they don't want to do overtime in Wutai. Elena takes her job seriously and is laughed at, and then tries to wriggle out of her orders in Midgar and is laughed at again.

They consistently care deeply about the Turks and its members, but everything else varies from scene to scene.

Yup. When it comes to the Turks, consistency is constantly sacrificed for either plot points or lulz. Although I'm surprised to see you suggesting the Turks could have saved those soldiers. I thought you viewed the Shinra soldiery as a pretty competent fighting force. In any case, if the soldiers were on duty and the Turks were not, then the soldiers were simply doing the job they were paid for, weren't they? You think they would have gone out of their way to save the Turks on their day off? I doubt it. Shinra doesn't foster that sort of inter-departmental collegiality.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I think it would depend on the individual soldier, but they also might not have much choice, Turks being higher on the pecking order.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Yup. When it comes to the Turks, consistency is constantly sacrificed for either plot points or lulz. Although I'm surprised to see you suggesting the Turks could have saved those soldiers. I thought you viewed the Shinra soldiery as a pretty competent fighting force. In any case, if the soldiers were on duty and the Turks were not, then the soldiers were simply doing the job they were paid for, weren't they? You think they would have gone out of their way to save the Turks on their day off? I doubt it. Shinra doesn't foster that sort of inter-departmental collegiality.

It would be pragmatic,but the executives run on a evil businessman mentality.

Top Bottom