• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fantasian: Sakaguchi's new project

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I remember reading some article/thread a few days ago that ever since the end of the Wii era, Japanese gaming audiences have been progressively drifting away from home console gaming and that more and more are migrating to mobile gaming (part of why the Switch does so well in Japan because of its hybrid status), which is part of why more and more video games are being designed with mobile first in the Japanese market, and why more mobile games are "looking better than they deserve" because it’s becoming the new standard of quality for audience retention. And Western audiences make up larger portions of Japanese console video game franchises now, than they used to.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thing is it's not just a mobile title, it's exclusive to Apple devices. So yeah this sucks because I can't even play it on my phone if I wanted to :monster:
Truly already the greatest gaming tragedy of this decade. =/

I've been following the news on this thing, and it's just ... why isn't this going to be more widely available?? Especially if it's going to be Uematsu's last soundtrack??

Here, read up/watch up;

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fantasy-series-creator-hironobu-sakaguchi-fantasian-uematsu/

https://www.siliconera.com/nobuo-uematsu-worked-from-5am-to-6pm-on-the-fantasian-soundtrack/

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/ga...-video-game-soundtrack-he-creates-2908249?amp

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Come sit with me while we wait for any Mistwalker game to get ported to anything other than what it launched on.

Waiting-Skeleton.png

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Aw man, this is mobile only?!! I didn't even realize that until now.

I guess it's about time mobile devices get a quality title. I guess there's no reason why they should have to be soul-sucking slot machines disguised as games. As long as the lack of true buttons doesn't translate to shallow gameplay, I'll be happy.

The diorama aesthetic is absolutely enchanting.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Playing it at the moment. (On a mac desktop.) I'll give my thoughts once I have played more...

Oh, Mistwalker stuff should absolutely get more ports. Lost Odyssey is seriously good and is stranded on the Xbox. I haven't even been able to play The Last Story, because I think it was only released on Wii, sigh.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Okay so the reviews are in and it sounds like the type of game I want to be a success, so instead of ripping it or waiting in hopes of a port, I decided what the hell, I’ll buy it.

...um...

I guess I didn’t know what Apple Arcade was before today. They really out here making old school single-player JRPGs that require a subscription to play? Who in the sweet submarine do they think their audience is? Hard pass.

I agree with you, Ite. I have a subscription to Netflix but only because I set it up years ago. I'd never buy a subscription to anything nowadays. I don't trust the people running them not to rip you off financially in some way. I probably lose out on a lot of good things with this attitude, but so far my life doesn't seem to miss them.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Isn't Apple Arcade only $5 per month with no ads or microtransactions, and the games on the service don't cost anything additional?

That's like ... a really great deal.

The only reason I don't have it is because I don't have any shitty Apple products to use it on.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Look folks. capitalism has extorted enough subscriptions out of me. I pay rent, phone, internet, groceries, taxes, laundry, dental, bus pass, and those necessities are already more than my paycheque. I also have to budget for new shoes once a year, birthday gifts, vet bills, emergencies, and if I’m very lucky I might have enough left over to have a pint or two with a friend. So I’m not going to be paying a subscription for video games. Not PlayStation Plus, not Switch Play, not FFXIV, not Apple Arcade. I don’t care if it’s 5 dollars or 5 cents, free for a year or given to me as a gift. It is an albatross around the neck, and not something I am interested in adding to my life, full stop.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Look folks. capitalism has extorted enough subscriptions out of me. I pay rent, phone, internet, groceries, taxes, laundry, dental, bus pass, and those necessities are already more than my paycheque. I also have to budget for new shoes once a year, birthday gifts, vet bills, emergencies, and if I’m very lucky I might have enough left over to have a pint or two with a friend. So I’m not going to be paying a subscription for video games. Not PlayStation Plus, not Switch Play, not FFXIV, not Apple Arcade. I don’t care if it’s 5 dollars or 5 cents, free for a year or given to me as a gift. It is an albatross around the neck, and not something I am interested in adding to my life, full stop.
It's your money! Spend or don't as you see fit. I just figured you were already expecting to spend more than $5 for the game when you intended to buy it. =P

Also can't beat that price point Roundhouse mentioned.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I should mention that there is a catch...

This is only 'part one' -- the second and concluding part is coming later. You can probably thank the ridiculous remake structure for this new trend, but in this case you get to at least go to loads of different locations and travel a lot rather than just being stuck in one city for the game.

Ite

AKA
Ite
It's your money! Spend or don't as you see fit. I just figured you were already expecting to spend more than $5 for the game when you intended to buy it. =P

Also can't beat that price point Roundhouse mentioned.

I somehow don’t feel like I’m derailing the conversation about the game itself, because the platform is all most of us are going to ever know about it, so I guess it boils down to this: There is a difference between budgeting $40 for a one-time purchase of a game, even if that boils down to $5/month from my paycheques for 8 months. The difference isn’t just emotional, it’s the difference between spending money on a product, and spending money on the privilege of accessing a service. I’m just not interested in the latter, not for my own self, nor am I interested in incentivizing the business model. Under capitalism we “vote with our dollar” and I vote no. No hate if it works for you or you are indifferent, but this isn’t a system I am going to be supporting.

@Roundhouse I did not know that.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I guess my feeling is that a move to subscription-based services has generally been better for media accessibility and affordability (e.g. Netflix, Pandora, etc.). So I'm all in for this -- or would be if, again, I had shitty Apple products.

Top Bottom