Fantastic Beasts Series (Harry Potter Spinoff Films)

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I wasn't sure if these were going to be good, but if Rowling is directly involved with the screenplay then there is a much greater chance of that being the case. Here's hoping.

Ghost X

I need to watch all the harry potter films first :awesome:. Anyways, this is a good thing, developing the universe n' such. Now she's made a bazillion off this intellectual property of hers, she could also give away the rights to anyone for free, and see what ideas spawn then. Then again, this could be said of any franchise.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'm fine with what she's done, which has been to write spinoffs and give the proceeds to charity.

I never liked the Harry Potter books or movies that much, but the prospect of seeing something in the same universe which breaks the formula makes me mildly curious.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
This could possibly revive my interest in the Harry Potter franchise, as the books and movies went on I started caring about the franchise less and less, didn't even bother watching Half Blood Prince and Deadly Hallows 1 & 2.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Kind of... lost interest in the series after I grew the hell up and picked up on the formula. For all the richness of the Harry Potter universe, for me Rowling really seemed to be just going through the motions towards the end of the series.

A focus on the wizarding world outside Hogwarts would be great fun, though

laurence

Pro Adventurer
Sounds like this has potential, and would give me incentive to finish watching the films (the ones I did see were great, I love the Harry Potter world) and perhaps even read the books, which I've always wanted to do but kept putting off.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Lets hope its more of the world of wizards and magic than that of going to school and finishing off an evil conspiracy.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
There's something inherently disappointing about the words 'spin-off' that genuinely prevent me from being excited about it.

I'm sure it'll make a shitload of money, but the question of whether it will be any good (or necessary whatsoever) definitely remains up in the air.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Oh goodie. This has been needed to be done for a while. While I've always found the Harry Potter world to be interesting, I've found Harry to be a bit of a dumbass. A look at the world through someone other than Harry's eyes could prove quite interesting.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Harry goes to Hogwarts, picks up where he left off with Ron and Hermione, an event is announced by Dumbledore and some new Dark Arts teacher is introduced who has some sort of physical or personality defect which becomes the fulcrum for an event later in the book.
Harry, Ron and Hermione do some sort of wacky stupid hijinks which may or may not involve a Slytherin member, sometimes going to the Library to figure it out, any combination of Harry, Ron and/or Hermione have some sort of personal conflict revolving around jealousy/insecurity (or multiple ones!) and then later sort out their differences through some event that brings them together again.
Most of the time, Voldemort happens at the end in some shape or form and then an event/plot twist happens towards the end that has been foreshadowed earlier (sometimes throughout the entire book). Dumbledore shows up to explain any inexplicable shit and reasserts how important/special Harry is, The End.

Lots of small variations here and there depending on the theme (secret book! escaped prisoner! wizard tournament! secret anti-death-eater society!) but all in all, there's certainly a rhythm to the series. lol, she even managed to cram in the dumbledore!exposition in the last book, ffs.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
I have to admit, I'm kind of looking forward to Fantastic Beasts. It'll be nice to get away from Harry and see some of the rest of the HP universe.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yeah alright

sure

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I read the book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them that Rowling actually wrote and the funniest bits were not the actual book, but all the notes, comments, and doodles that Harry, Hermione and Ron wrote in it...

This could be good, but probably won't be. The fact that it's set in New York City where none of the books have even reference could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

Personally, a lot of the world-building outside of England in the HP 'verse makes my head hurt because a lot of the world-building stops making sense once you're talking about the entire world as opposed to a single country or city.

Lex

Administrator
There is literally no world-building outside of the UK in the Harry Potter series (note: there is outside of England. Hogwarts is in Scotland for example) aside from the mention of Durmstrang (which is supposed to be in Scandinavia but takes in students from all over Europe) and Beauxbatons (France). Even then, those are just schools with locations. I think Fleur mentions the French ministry equivalent once in HBP but that's it.

It all falls apart rather easily, JK is terrible with numbers and detail in general. As someone who was obsessed with reading all of her interviews to form theories between book releases it's something I noticed a long time ago. At one point she tried to say the magical (human) population of the UK was somewhere around 3000, but there were 40 students in each Hogwarts year (40 whose names she wrote down in Harry's year, meaning around 10 students per house per year).

Top Bottom