• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FAO Shinra Employees

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
they released a shinra business card holder around ac's release (it was a different design, just a metal case bound in leather rather than this wallet style one) and back then i thought, why'd i want something like that

now, when i am amassing a collection of business cards and ought to get my own, i kinda want one :sadpanda:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Don’t suppose I could use that to hold credit cards?

Show off your allegiance in the FINAL FANTASY VII world with this sharp looking Shinra Company Business Card Holder. Emblazoned with the Shinra Company logo, red stitching and faux leather this chic design fits in any business meeting or assignment around Gaia you might be sent on!
assignment around Gaia
No

NO

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They fucked it up again

EDIT: I e-mailed Square Enix NA merchandise customer support about the error. I don't predict them responding or following my request to have the name "Gaia" removed (since confirming the error means that they have to read this TLS article) but I had to give it a try.

In hindsight I should have given them an alternative writing. Instead of "Gaia" they can simply write "the planet".

I am afraid to browse the NA Square Enix store because no doubt the Gaia error will pop up many times. >__<

Clearly I need to spread the word better.

EDIT #2: And in case anyone is wondering, the Japanese version of the product does not mention Gaia.

EDIT #3: I now joined the wikia to try and address what I believe to be the core reason why the name Gaia is kept alive: Because of its use in the Final Fantasy wiki. Hopefully I can make some progress and make sure the error gets removed from the wiki.

The last time I had anything to do with wiki edits was back when I added Mega Man X5 stuff to TCRF. This is mostly unfamiliar territory that I have long avoided.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this, Shade - the persistent fanon that Gaia is the name of the planet. I don't care what fans call the planet, as long as they don't insist that it has an offiical name. Presumably the name 'Gaia' became so popular because the Planet is a fictional representation of the Gaia hypothesis.

Yeah, that wiki is a hotbed of factual errors. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I go in and fix them, but then when I return, the error has been put back in.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I had no idea that 'Gaia' was FFVII fanon. This entire time&#8212;because I read it in the wiki&#8212;I assumed it was what the Planet was referred to in a Compilation game title that I've yet to play (which is any of them save the original)... :monster:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Wasn't there an official brochure or something somewhere released a few years back that referred to the Planet as Gaia?

And we all wept because I preferred the planet not having a name.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
When does an error stop being an error? The wiki makes no mistake, the article is called Gaia because it's called that in official English materials, and it has a section to explain where the name comes from.

Wasn't there an official brochure or something somewhere released a few years back that referred to the Planet as Gaia?

And we all wept because I preferred the planet not having a name.
The 2004 E3 pamphlet, mentioned in the article. :monster:

AdventChildrenE3Handout.jpg

But the Gaia name has never appeared in Japanese sources. It only ever shows up in North American websites and on the aforementioned pamphlet.

I reckon that whoever made the E3 pamphlet, handed out in Los Angeles at E3 in 2004, got confused because of the use of "Gaia" in Spirits Within and Final Fantasy IX.

However even IF the name was originally conceived by one of the Japanese writers, such as Kazushige Nojima, they have never picked up on the idea afterwards.

In conclusion: The planet on which the events of Final Fantasy VII takes place has no canon name. Additionally, the original game inconsistently refers to the planet with a lower case- and upper case P. Sometimes it is "planet" other times it is "Planet" but the Compilation has been consistent with the lower case.

it has a section to explain where the name comes from.
The etymology section is good but both this article and the main Final Fantasy VII wiki page states that Gaia IS the name of the world. I consider this to be a mistake and everybody who lazily graces by the wiki (like any given person in Square Enix's North American marketing department) will get the impression that the name has 100% canon status when in fact it does not.

At best you can consider the name as "semi-official English fanon" given how Square Enix NA has continued its use, albeit only OUTSIDE of Final Fantasy VII Compilation titles. This highly questionable status should be at the forefront of any given article on the topic, which is currently not the case in the FF wiki.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So if this is straight from the website, doesn't it make it canon? :monster:

I had one of the originals Hito speaks of - I sold it and made off like a bandit when I bought my new iphone #sorrynotsorry #noshame

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So if this is straight from the website, doesn't it make it canon? :monster:

It's a tad trickier than that since the Japanese materials are what the fandom tends to regard as actual canon, smoothing over or exposing continuity issues that may be created at times even in official localizations (e.g. Noel being "the last child to be born [only not really]" in XIII-2).

FFXV's bizarre English localization vs. Japanese vs. other localizations has taken us into uncharted territory in this regard (the Japanese version actually has less canon info at times than the unsurpassed German localization), but this rule of sorts about the Japanese material taking precedent as canon is generally the standard to follow. This leaves the status of "Gaia" as the FFVII planet's name in a place somewhat comparable to the old "Star Wars" continuity, where stuff like "The New Jedi Order" was official yet not necessarily canon (to George Lucas).

In the past, I've personally scoured every available piece of Japanese material on FFVII that I could and never found anything identifying the planet as anything but that generic word.

... That being said, "Gaia's Cliffs" is indeed the name of that area, so it may well be that this was intended to be the name of the planet at some point in the game's development, and it just never got any explicit reference in Japanese material (for whatever reason). I'll honestly be kind of surprised if they don't just go ahead with this as the planet's name in the remake, as a more fleshed-out presentation of this game's world will kind of demand an explanation for the name given to this no man's land at the end of the world.

The wiki also insists that in BC, Rufus was under house arrest in Junon. This isn't substantiated anywhere in the canon material, and it flies in the face of the only thing we know for sure about the place where Rufus was held, namely, that it looks exactly like the Turks' HQ in Midgar.

Not nearly as important an error as giving the planet a name it doesn't officially have, but irksome all the same.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
^I don't think very many if any wiki editors know anything about Before Crisis. It was added by a random. If you were to remove it and add a summary saying that it isn't substantiated anywhere, it shouldn't be reverted.

Thanks, I have done this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Yeah, that wiki is a hotbed of factual errors.
i remember translating something and having never played the games in english i used the wiki for english names, but then the japanese names on the pages just seemed to be someone running the english ones through google translate.

i think they were corrected eventually but like. how did you think that was helping. i don't know why you'd think you should put that on there.

FFXV's bizarre English localization vs. Japanese vs. other localizations has taken us into uncharted territory in this regard (the Japanese version actually has less canon info at times than the unsurpassed German localization)
this makes me want to play xv but i still refuse until i have an all-in-one pack

stop making stuff for this game square jfc

^I don't think very many if any wiki editors know anything about Before Crisis. It was added by a random. If you were to remove it and add a summary saying that it isn't substantiated anywhere, it shouldn't be reverted.

Thanks, I have done this.

Somehow I managed to edit JBedford's post. Sorry about that; not sure how it happened.

Anyway, I corrected the Rufus Shinra page and my correct was immediately removed by Keltainentoukokuu .

Annoying. I've messaged him/her/them.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think you guys are discussing editing two different posts in two different places. :monster:

Lic, I'll see about negating your ability to edit posts here on TLS. Not sure why you can.

EDIT: Fixed. It was because you were still assigned to this sub-forum as its moderator on the site's back end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom