Fenrir & the Ribbons

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
Had some thoughts on both of these recently as, long story short, I roleplay Cloud from early on in Case of Tifa and had to think about when and how his outfit changed. I defaulted to his original game outfit as I'm not such a big fan of how overblown the wolf thing is (earring, shirt, gloves, rings, keyring, phone background, am I missing anything? motorcycle, wolf of guilt in the movie) but I do like the myth of Fenrir in relation to Cloud.

I know it's already pointed out on his ffwiki entry that Fenrir kills Odin, which is related to Cloud killing Sephiroth and thwarting his attempts at godhood, but I think it's much more interesting that Fenrir was bound first, and one of the gods who bound him was Odin. I think it's interesting if the Fenrir story is around in their world (Odin's a summon, they have mythology around other summons, why not have Fenrir be a hidden summon?) and Cloud takes a liking to Fenrir for both parts of it. He was bound and beaten but not going to be beaten forever, and not even godhood's going to save the person who did it.

The other two parts I found interesting (though I'm not sure Cloud would) is that Fenrir innocently trusts the gods when they swear an oath not to trap him and quickly lashes out when he finds out they lied--yeah, that makes me think of Cloud!--and that in the story they tried twice to bind him with heavy fetters but failed. The one that actually did the trick was "smooth and soft as a silken ribbon". Funny because AC Cloud is literally bound by a ribbon :P Though it's not as though the ribbon's hurting him. Now, guilt he felt looking at it... And also just, between him and Sephiroth again, it's not brute force from Sephiroth that wrecks him but subtler things messing with his head.

As for the ribbons themselves, I've always found it kind of weird they're not mentioned in On The Way To A Smile at all (unless I missed something?) and finally I just decided I'd rather "retcon" the game in my own headcanon so that the ribbon is something that started in the game. In my head it starts with Tifa, then Cloud, and the whole party picks it up when they get back together having found their reasons to fight.

This is kind of rambling from me but I'm just curious to see what other people's takes are on Fenrir and the party wearing the ribbons in Aerith's memory, when and how those things got started.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The other interesting part of that story is that Fenrir killing Odin is actually a double suicide: Fenrir swallows Odin and Odin causes enough internal damage Fenrir dies.

Ghost X

Interesting stuff concerning the mythology. Stuff I didn't know :monster:.

As for when Cloud changed his clothes, wouldn't have a clue.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I've read a similar take on the comparison between Cloud and Fenrir before but I can't remember where, but yeah it's interesting. I can't really add much about Cloud and Norse mythology but here's something I found in Oreramar's deviantart comparing Cloud to a Norse warrior-priest or "gothar". Her explanation is pretty spot-on.

And glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Cloud's AC outfit/accessories went overboard with the wolf theme. The outfit's cool but there's just too much Fenrir everywhere. We get it, SE >_>

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The other interesting part of that story is that Fenrir killing Odin is actually a double suicide: Fenrir swallows Odin and Odin causes enough internal damage Fenrir dies.

This is incorrect.
Multiple accounts of Ragnarok all state that Fenrir Kills Odin and in turn Víðarr, a son of odin, enraged slays Fenrir.

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
so i'm not the only one who can spend hours thinking about mythology and FF? :D

Haha, what's sad is what actually got me looking at the mythology in the first place is a different story idea--writing FFVII characters into XIII's premise. Cloud and Zack take roughly Vanille and Fang's place story-wise (I know this sounds insane) so I had to find an eidolon for Zack and wanted to find one that was a good counterpart to Fenrir. Because it was always obvious what Cloud's would be. :monster:

So I read Fenrir's story then, and then with the rp thing I went back and thought about it more and the similarities started popping out at me.

I've read a similar take on the comparison between Cloud and Fenrir before but I can't remember where, but yeah it's interesting. I can't really add much about Cloud and Norse mythology but here's something I found in Oreramar's deviantart comparing Cloud to a Norse warrior-priest or "gothar". Her explanation is pretty spot-on.

Never heard of it before but I love it. Especially the contrast between representing the gods to the people/representing the people to the gods. Cloud's definitely the latter, he knows things are bigger than him and humanity but his concern is taking care of his people. Thank you for the link.

And glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Cloud's AC outfit/accessories went overboard with the wolf theme. The outfit's cool but there's just too much Fenrir everywhere. We get it, SE >_>
Ahaha yeah. When AC put even more in, it was just. Really?

If he changed everything all at once, I would be disappointed that they missed a perfectly good opportunity at self-mockery because Case of Tifa lacked a scene when Cloud shows up wolfed-out and Tifa ends up with her head in her hands because he is clearly going through some new fanboy phase and at least, she thinks, at least he didn't get a tattoo.

That she can see.

I think cloud changed his outfit when he got the motorcycle.

It'd make sense for him to start the Fenrir motif then, since the motorcycle's named for it.

This is incorrect.
Multiple accounts of Ragnarok all state that Fenrir Kills Odin and in turn Víðarr, a son of odin, enraged slays Fenrir.

Maybe there's another version out there, or a similar myth? Because when I first read Obsidian's post I didn't remember reading it about Fenrir, but at the same time it was so familiar that I thought I must have read it earlier and forgot. Hmm. But yeah, the revenge killing is what I read for Fenrir.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
If there is another version out there then it wasnt recorded in the annuls of time :monster:
And or is fan fiction.

All norse accounts of Ragnarok specifically state that Fenrir was killed by Víðar after Odins death.

What Obsidian is thinking about is Thors battle with the Jörmungandr (the midgard serpent ;) ).
During Ragnarok Thor and Jörmungandr have a final showdown, Thor takes him down but dies moments after the battle whilst walking away due to being poisoned by Jörmungandr venom

Top Bottom