FF Discussion Thread

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I have a few different discussion topics hidden in my special secret place. I had this idea at another forum and it worked out really well! Instead of opening five different threads with five different topics that will eventually die out, let's have one general FF discussion thread.

The idea is to work with one discussion topic at a time. As soon as everyone has put in there two cents/beaten the topic to death, we'll move on to the next conversation topic.

I can post all of our completed discussion topics in the first thread so we know where we've already been. :)

Example:
1.) Topic 1: FFVII LTD (topic closed on 11.30.09)
2.) Topic 2: Who has the best rack (topic closed on 12.15.09)
3.) And so on and so forth.

Let's start with the first topic. And after this one is dead, anyone else can post/get the next topic rolling.

Topic # 1 (12.5.09)

Theme of Love
The theme of love has been present in Final Fantasy for many past generations; from Cecil and Rosa in FFIV, to the famous love triangle in FFVII, to Tidus and Yuna’s hopeless love in FFX.
Love didn’t legitimately become a central scheme in Final Fantasy until Squall and Rinoa’s puppy-love romance in FFVIII, which the game almost completely revolved around. And of course, FFXII finally broke the focus on love and returned to a more…traditional theme.

1) How do you feel about romance being the central theme in Final Fantasy?
2) Do you prefer the more generic FF title, in which love takes a back seat to war and strife?
3) Regardless of your feelings towards Love as a central theme, do you have a favorite pairing in the series? If so, why?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Howl said:
I have a few different discussion topics hidden in my special secret place. I had this idea at another forum and it worked out really well! Instead of opening five different threads with five different topics that will eventually die out, let's have one general FF discussion thread.

Honestly, that sounds redundant of the purpose of the forum itself to me. But, given that you say it's worked out well somewhere before, I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a try. At the least, I won't unilaterally make a ruling on it.

And in any case, I'm interested in seeing responses to this first suggestion of yours.

Howl said:
2) Do you prefer the more generic FF title, in which love takes a back seat to war and strife?
3) Regardless of your feelings towards Love as a central theme, do you have a favorite pairing in the series? If so, why?

1) For the series as a whole, I can't say it sounds like the best idea. There's no doubt that love stories are powerful and enjoyable, but every FF doesn't need to have/be one.

2) Depends on the title in question, my overall feelings at the time, and what sort of stories I've most recently been consuming. In short, it depends.

I had a hell of a time playing both FFVIII and FFXII.

3) Squall and Rinoa. I'm a sucker for sappy love stories.

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
You get extra points, cos I love Squall and Rinoa's story. beautifully executed for a series.

Vossler

Voss da boss bitch
AKA
Nightmare,race driver,steel tormenter
They had such a passionate kiss at the end.

Look at Cecil and Rosa. Those two seemed inseparable. She was always by his side no matter how conflicted he got.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
At my other forum, we did this in my club, but it was still fun and it worked out! Let's see how it goes! :)

I like love stories that are subtle; not that take a backseat to everything else, but that don't smother the important events in the game. For example, I liked playing FFVIII and all, but when Squall abandoned his quest to save the world in order to free Rinoa from captivity, I was like this::O

I liked FFX's love story. It was higlighted at all the right points in the game, and the ending was one of the best game endings I've ever encountered. Too bad X-2 had to blow it all out of the water. :hohum:

My favorite pairing in the whole series (cannon pairing that is) are Garnet and Zidane. I know that some pairings are easy to speculate, like Aerith/Cloud/Tifa/Zack.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

1) The thing about the Final Fantasy games is that each game to me is that it's almost like a pinnacle RPG. It includes all elements that make up an epic RPG adventure. Romance just seems to me that it should be part of that, however large it is.

2) It really depends. Looking at my favourite titles, I think the trend is that I prefer the games without such a huge romantic subplot. Then again, I tend to like certain games more depending on how my mood fluctuates. When it comes to participating in fandom, I'm more interested in discussing character relationships (/romances) than the plot technicalities etc. (OT but that's the biggest reason Dissidia's plot didn't really intrigue me all that much).

3) Agreeing with Howl 110% here, I love Zidane and Garnet. Not only are they horribly cute, but I found their story to be the most like an epic romance :D

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
3) Agreeing with Howl 110% here, I love Zidane and Garnet. Not only are they horribly cute, but I found their story to be the most like an epic romance :D

They are the perfect Cannon couple. :joy:
The best part is when Garnet comes and helps Zidane through his trials right before Pandemoneum. She's not even scared of giant eyeballs!!!

And the romance isn't too pushy. There are mushy moments all over this game, but they're not really mushy. Like when Zidane walks up in Garnet when she's singing on the balcony in Lindbulm. It's not really mushy, but the whole time you're thinking "omgomgomgomg"!

</overboard>

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave

I'm actually not a fan of love stories, so I prefer my games without too much mushy romance. The only fictional romance I've probably ever been interested in at all is that between Tifa and Cloud, who, needless to say, are my favorite pairing in the series. :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
They are the perfect Cannon couple. :joy:
The best part is when Garnet comes and helps Zidane through his trials right before Pandemoneum. She's not even scared of giant eyeballs!!!

And the romance isn't too pushy. There are mushy moments all over this game, but they're not really mushy. Like when Zidane walks up in Garnet when she's singing on the balcony in Lindbulm. It's not really mushy, but the whole time you're thinking "omgomgomgomg"!

</overboard>

I agree 100%. They're probably the only FF couple that turns me into a fangirlish, squeeing pile of goo (well, that was before playing Crisis Core, but that was more along the lines of blubbering mess). Seriously, stories like that are what fairy tales are made of.

I feel like they deserve their own club but I get the feeling it'd probably remain dead anyway. Plus cba.

Top Bottom