FF song bracket: Round 1, Group 10

Which of these songs do you like best? Choose up to four.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Pick your four favourite songs from the selection above!

If you can't decide on just four, you can vote for as many as you want, but only in one poll of the 20 in the first round. The full list of upcoming polls can be found here - this spreadsheet has also been updated with game and voter stats based on the results of closed polls, so check it out!

You can listen to the songs in the playlist below.

This poll will be open for three days, and at least four songs will qualify for the next round.

Other popular names for these songs include:

From the Edge of Despair - "Off the Edge of Despair"
Demo Movie is actually "Opening Movie (FFXII Theme)" and I got the names mixed up in the poll.

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
This was tough. From the Edge of Despair sold what in my mind is the saddest scene in FF to me (with the possible exception of Celes' suicide) but I can't right call it my favourite song.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Dear Friends- Just one of the many great but often overlooked FF5 pieces. Serves as great epilogue music, taking a bit of same melody from Home, Sweet Home for a great medieval feel.

Terra from FF9. For reasons.

Yuna's Ballad from FFX-2- In an entry with some... questionable music choices, Yuna's Ballad stands strong as a really amazing piece. The piano work does what the rest of the game doesn't - it takes Yuna's struggles seriously. Pretty much the only time I ever feel some emotion in the bubblegum game that we got was when this piece was playing.

Caius's Theme- FFXIII-2 - It's recent, but it's amazing. It's a perfect example of what a Final Fantasy villain should sound like. Orchestra and the all-important latin choir. It has a very operatic feel that would fit right at home with Dancing Mad.

RedFFWolf

Donator
A little off-topic, but even though it's only changing colour, the background video for Terra in the playlist is gorgeous.

Anyway, "Terra", "Yuna's Ballad", "Mines of Narshe" and "Maybe I'm a Lion" have sealed it for me.

Shout-out to "Off the Edge of Despair", and I love Prologue (FFIV) too

Lex

Administrator
Night of Seclusion and Under the Apple Tree are almost the same song. I originally voted for Night of Seclusion and changed it to Under the Apple Tree after XD.

I also voted for Dear Friends (love <3), Maybe I'm a Lion because of course, and Terra.

Oh Terra. Terra is one of my all-time favourite FF tracks, I have a "sleep" playlist of music on my phone and comp that has existed since I knew playlists were a thing and it's always been on there. I adore that track.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Edgar & Sabin's Theme
Night of Seclusion....I just like this one a LIIIIITLE bit more than Under the Apple Tree
Maybe I'm a Lion <3 <3 <3
Terra <3 <3 <3

:lol: Lex, I also have Terra on my "mimis" playlist.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Demo Movie is actually "Opening Movie (FFXII Theme)", my bad. If an admin wants to change it in the poll, please do so. And if anyone wants to change their votes, let me know.

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
I didn't poast comments on any other round because all I could think to say was "I like dis songs". But this round, well this round includes prologue, aka THE Final Fantasy theme. I love so much about all of the music in these games, but this song... It makes my nerdly heart want to burst out of my chest with pride, and makes me want to stand saluting with my hand on my heart as a Final Fantasy flag gets hoisted. Or, you know, something like that. I can understand why Uematsu says that if he were to be remembered for only one song, he'd want it to be that one.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I love prologue, but I hesitatingly decided to skip over it for these songs:

Edgar and Sabin's Theme - Because I love this song and it's bombastic and grand tune, showing off that castle in a sea of sand with the recognition it deserves.

Terra - How could I not vote for this song?

Opening Movie (Demo :awesome:) - My love for grand symphonic orchestrated FF music comes through now, because I love the whole story this song tells. It slides from one set of notes to the next, and it's beautiful. I love Sakimoto's music.

Caius's Theme - Very suitable for Caius, and love the orchestra that shines through, making this tune grand and ominous and just very Caius-y. Also again.... I'm a sucker for this kind of music in an FF game. :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The poll will close in a little under 24 hours.

My top pick is The Mines of Narshe. It's just such a perfect fit for the town and the beginning the game.

My other picks are Dear Friends, Prologue and Edgar & Sabin's Theme.

Honourable mentions to Terra and Maybe I'm a Lion, which I'm pleased to see are already going to progress.

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
I kept changing my top four picks over and over, but here they are, no looking back:

• Dear Friends I could have overlooked this one easily, so I'm glad I searched for this performance from Distant Worlds:
    So tender. The flute is beautifully sweet and the addition of guitar makes it more homely and heartwarming than if it had been arranged for strings alone.

• The Mines of Narshe A foreboding and sinister song, this seems noirish, a theme for the mean streets. What sounds like an exhale or occasional release of gas in the background is very effective at enhancing the glum mood.

• Terra The choice of instruments in this is too perfect. That harp with the sombre string melody is beautiful, and the xylophone (?) descant lifts it. I think this is probably the most successful interpretation of the A Place To Call Home leitmotif from the FFIX soundtrack.

• Yuna's Ballad Drenched in heartache but still so pretty. I'm glad that this is a solo piano piece, as it's all the more effective for it. For me, this is the best of all Yuna themes from both games.

Honourable mentions

Edgar and Sabin's Theme Regal and proud yet melancholic. A moving character portrayal.

Maybe I'm A Lion This song is electrifying. I can't stop headbanging along with the pounding percussion section. I swapped this out at the last minute for Yuna's Ballad.

Under the Apple Tree I like how, musically speaking, Crisis Core seems to have taken a different route from the main series. It's refreshing to hear a good old fashioned guitar-and-drums track.

Opening Movie (Theme Of Final Fantasy XII) This is perfect within its context in the game, and there's no denying that it's a magnificent piece. But it's abrupt disjointed sound changes later on make it something I can't choose to listen to very often.

Defiers of Fate Composer Mitsuto Suzuki takes the Blinded By Light motif and steps it up a gear. After the intro, it's a surprise when the familiar chord sequence comes in, but this time it goes harder. This song comes into its own around 1:37 with strings a-soaring and then dives into a frenetic electronic beat. It's kind of over too soon. I'd say that Blinded By Light is superior, but this is still a stellar track. I haven't included it in my top four only because I don't want it to detract from BBL's chances in future rounds.

Caius' Theme I'm not much of a fan of classical choirs, but this works.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
This one was another difficult round. Tough choices had to be made.

Prologue - Like Airling said, this is THE Final Fantasy theme and one of my favourites in the whole franchise. I really don't know if I can say it any better than Airling did because those are my thoughts exactly. Another theme that when played by a whole orchestra makes me want to cry.

Edgar & Sabin's Theme - One of my favourite pieces in FFVI. I really like the majestic feeling of the piece but I also like the melody. It is especially good theme for Edgar and the Figaro castle.

Maybe I'm a lion - It was a tough decision between this and Airship. But I can't deny it anymore; FFVIII has an absolutely amazing soundtrack. I've already overseen many great pieces from that game but no more. I love the heavy atmospere of this song and the percussions. The song also has a great harmony in it.

Yuna's Ballad - This piece is so beutiful and definitely one of my favourite pieces in FFX-2. I think it fits well for Yuna; it's gentle and calm. And even though it's clearly melancholic it still has a feeling of hope and positivity.

My honorable mentions goes to Airship, Dear Friends and Defier's of Fate. I nearly voted for Airship because I really like the theme because it is so adventurous and also has a nice melody, but in the end decided to vote for Maybe I'm a Lion instead. Dear Friends was quite close to be in my top 4 too, but even though it's a very nice piece, it still lacked something that the other pieces had.

I really hope that there are some easy rounds coming up. :closedmonster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This poll is now closed. The songs which have definitely made it into the top 100 are:

Under the Apple Tree
Maybe I'm a Lion
Terra
Yuna's Ballad

If your favourite song isn't on this list, don't despair! It might still get in as one of the best runners-up. The song with the best chance of qualifying in this manner is:

Prologue

Top Bottom