FF song bracket: Round 1, Group 12

Which of these songs do you like best? Choose up to four.

• Time Remains (Final Fantasy III)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Pick your four favourite songs from the selection above!

If you can't decide on just four, you can vote for as many as you want, but only in one poll of the 20 in the first round. The full list of upcoming polls can be found here - this spreadsheet has also been updated with game and voter stats based on the results of closed polls, so check it out!

You can listen to the songs in the playlist below.

This poll will be open for three days, and at least four songs will qualify for the next round.

Alternative names for these songs include:

Time Remains - "Village of the Ancients", "Ancient's Village"
Listen to the Cries of the Planet - "You Can Hear the Cries of the Planet"
On Our Way - "Ahead On Our Way"
A Place to Call Home - "The Place I'll Return to Someday"

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
It was tough to not vote for The Wildlands and Saber's Edge, but Snowcloak is better than both of them.

Also went with Listen To The Cries of the Planet, Movin' and.. let's get real here, A Place To Call Home. Amazing tracks all.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Listening to "Movin'" just stole the vote from "Eruyt Village"
Then listening to "Eruyt Village" stole from "Find Your Way"

"Kingdom of Burmeica" went untouched

Then I changed my mind and decided I want "Find Your Way", but I still felt the need for "Listen to the Cries of the Planet"

Final Result:
Kingdom of Burmeica
Movin'
Listen to the Cries of the Planet
Find Your Way

Christ, I'm indecisive...

Ghost X

Listen to the Cries of the Planet (Final Fantasy VII)
Movin' (Final Fantasy VIII)
Vivi's Theme (Final Fantasy IX)
Eruyt Village (Final Fantasy XII)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Movin' - Started listening, could hardly stop. I like this piece!
Vivi's Theme - This song suits Vivi so well.
Saber's Edge - I really do enjoy XIII's soundtrack, and this song is no exception.
The Warrens - I think this is the first vote I've made for an FF game that I haven't ever played. But it deserves it, very beautiful track to listen to.

Lex

Administrator
Listen to the cries of the planet, Reunion, Eruyt Village, Saber's Edge. Cries of the Planet is one of my all-time favourites, I've always found it odd that a lot of people don't like it. It's brilliantly ominous and pleasant to listen to, and when I was a child it freaked the shit out of me.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Cries of the Planet and Burmecia are both on my sleepy time playlist.
A Place to Call Home is one of those songs that I hum on the way to work in the morning...seriously all the time. :lol:
Vivi's Theme, I could listen to it all day every day.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The poll will close in a little over 24 hours.

My top pick is Reunion. I'm surprised to find that I'm only the second person voting for this. I originally nominated it without hesitation, meaning it's in or near my top 20 songs from the series. It's so layered (I tried learning how to play it on the keyboard once, without much success), and every layer adds something different. The end result is beautiful and intricate.

My other picks are (Ahead) On Our Way, Vivi's Theme and Eruyt Village.

Honourable mentions to Time Remains, Listen to the Cries of the Planet, A Place to Call Home, Saber's Edge and The Wildlands. This was a tough group.

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
My top four picks

Find Your Way Based on a series of arpeggios, this easily could have been musically bland, but the composition is layered in such a way that the more I listen the more it enchants me. There is something sinister about this melody, yet it remains peaceful, almost hypnotic...

Movin' This really does get me fired up and ready to take action. The percussion drives the song along, while variations in the melody indicate a growing and subsiding threat. This song carries an air of confidence and readies the listener for a display of great strength.

Eruyt Village In case it's not self-evident, I'm a lover of dark ethereal melodies, and this is the most accomplished of the group. I like this little review:
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/reviews/group/ff12.shtml said:
The piece is very atmospheric, though there is a certain melodic and instrumental ethereal charm which connects itself to earlier Sakimoto works and establishes the track on the path of the road less travelled. The instrumentation is totally appropriate. The flute slowly and sadly coincides with a flowing harp to create an absolutely enchanting effect. It's unfortunate that Sakimoto is often not regarded for the intimate passages of music that he can often write, often overlooked in lieu of more complex, domineering efforts. In the case of "Eruyt Village" it is not hard to see that Sakimoto is quite comfortable in allowing more subtle roles in his musical exploits to play their cues efficiently. Within the theme's role in the actual course of the game, it supports every nuance of the emotional quality that is issued forth while exploiting a deeper more contemplative side which contributes great contrast to the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack as a whole.

Saber's Edge This is so damn good. The melody builds and builds to an almost unbearable level of tension. Composer Masashi Hamauzu lays a live orchestra over a programmed orchestral piece to great success, combining both a hard-edged artificiality with beautifully arranged live instrumentation.

I've listened to this about 50 times and I've just found out it's the boss theme for FFXIII. I think I would never want boss battles to end if I played that game just so I could listen to this song.

Honourable men--

:jokerclap:

Reunion There's something utterly mesmerising about this melody. It's peaceful yet shrouded in a sense of darkness that makes me feel rather unnerved. Sonically speaking this is quite similar to Find Your Way (see above). First the plucked strings are underlaid with a string melody reminiscent of Secrets of the Deep Sea (also from FFVII), then a choir and flute are layered on for a fully bewitching effect.

A Place To Call Home An interesting choice of musical mode and two overlapping harmonic melodies lend this song a renaissance feel that is hard to resist. My ex-girlfriend and I used to play this song on flute together. Fond memories...

Kingdom of Burmecia The organ in 'Burmecia' evokes the tortured wailing of the people wiped out at Kuja's hand. This melody is used in a more subtle and devastatingly effective way in Freya's Theme, and so I almost didn't vote for this, but ultimately I think 'Burmecia' is highly successful at conjuring a sense of past tragedy and for that I am unwilling to overlook it.

Vivi's Theme And this one is just too cute to ignore. This description says it very well:
TheShroud13 said:
Vivi is characterized through an ornamented melody supported by an accompaniment from pizzicato strings. The use of percussion at somewhat unexpected places emphasizes Vivi's awkward character and adds humour to the piece.

The Wildlands I love those vocal oohs and aahs. ^^ The variation in this composition is charming: it steadily builds a sense of adventure, then grows into a march and eventually eases almost into a lullaby

The Warrens Talking of lullabies, I could (and almost did) fall asleep listening to this. How is it that the themes for icy locales are always so pretty?

I LOVE this group. :)

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Mt. Koltz - Another great dungeon theme from VI. It always got me pumped up.

Listen to/Can you Hear the Cry of the Planet - I used to mute the TV in the Forgotten City when I was a kid because I so hated this song. It creeped me out. Now it's one of my favorites. Haunting and lovely.

Ahead On Our Way - I love both songs by this name. FFV's and VII's.

A Place to Call Home - Another classic.

Other comments - I'm always convinced that Find Your Way is an FFIX track. It would not be out of place at all if you dropped it into that game.
The Warrens is also a very nice theme. Unexpected for a dungeon, but appreciated.

AvecAloes

Donator
This is the ONLY TIME I have ever considered making a dupe account - there are simply too many songs in this round that I NEED to vote for. But fiiiine, fiiiiiiiiiiiine - I know dupe counts are something that we all frown upon here, so....

Can You Hear the Cry of the Planet
Reunion
Kingdom of Burmecia
Saber's Edge

Hot damn that was a hard one.
(that's what she said last night)

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Okay time to talk about votes. This group was interesting because I ended up voting for songs that are from games that I haven't or have hardly played before.

Enruyt Village - I love the clear sounds of this piece and the melancholic nature of it.

Saber's Edge - This one was last one to make it to my list. I picked it because I thought it was exciting. At first I thought that I wouldn't have voted for this one, but when I listened to it another time, it just sounded so good.

The Wildland - This one was my favourite pick out of all the songs. I love the beginning with the subtle strings. Even though it's really calm, I feel excited about what is coming up in the music. And then the part when the music rises to continue with this majestic part with the huh ha and calms down again. It is just all perfect.

The Warrens - This is another beautiful piece. Even though it is very repetitive it still changes enough so that it's not difficult to listen for 9 minutes. During this piece I was a bit worried that I wouldn't like what will be added to it but I was very happy to find out that actually all the changes were perfect. The cello and the choir are amazing. When I listened to this piece again this morning I was so happy to hear those repeating two chords.

Honorable mention to Place to Call Home. I really like that piece as well but this time I felt like Saber's Edge was more to my liking. That might be because I have heard Place to Call Home too many times already.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This poll is now closed. The songs which have definitely made it into the top 100 are:

Listen to the Cries of the Planet
Find Your Way
A Place to Call Home
Vivi's Theme

If your favourite song isn't on this list, don't despair! It might still get in as one of the best runners-up. The song with the best chance of qualifying in this manner is:

Saber's Edge

Thanks for voting!

Top Bottom