FF song bracket: Round 1, Group 19

Which of these songs do you like best? Choose up to four.

• The Tower of Zot (Final Fantasy IV)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Pick your four favourite songs from the selection above!

If you can't decide on just four, you can vote for as many as you want, but only in one poll of the 20 in the first round. The full list of upcoming polls can be found here.

You can listen to the songs in the playlist below.

This poll will be open for three days, and at least four songs will qualify for the next round.

Other popular names for these songs include:

Beyond the Darkness - "Beyond the Abyss"

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Welcome To Our Town - a classic town theme from the series and one that still really holds up.

Aria De Word I Can't Spell This Early- THE Final Fantasy song. Like it goes Prelude, Victory Fanfare, Chocobo Theme, Anthem and this in order of absolutely essential songs in the Final Fantasy series.

JENOVA. Even better than JENOVA Absolute, and just an amazing boss theme.

Dust To Dust. Not generally a vocal guy but this is one of the exceptions I feel it's wonderfully haunting especially as it represents the end (at least for Chapter 11) of your time in Pulse. Sort of a metaphorical end to the freedom you enjoyed and a focus on once again returning to the task at hand. Sorrowful but hopeful.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Honourable mentions to Tower of Zot and Bab-il, this was a close call.

Also, to anyone that's held onto their veto so far, best use them today.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Well, not necessarily today - groups 19 and 20 will be open for three days. And I think you mean joker, not veto. :)

Ghost X

Welcome to Our Town! (Final Fantasy IV)
The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy V)
J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII)
A Moment's Rest (Final Fantasy XII)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
J-E-N-O-V-A - I enjoy all the versions of this song, so I had to pick it. :awesome:
A Moment's Rest
Dust to Dust - Absolutely gorgeous song that I love played even during the battles in Oerba. One of the best songs in XIII, hands down, in my opinion.
Overture of Dissidia

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The poll will close in a little over 24 hours.

Edit: it doesn't really feel right to be voting in a video game song contest while I'm listening to updates on a terrorist and hostage situation in Paris, but I'm going to have to do it at some point, so it might as well be now.

The Decisive Battle
J-E-N-O-V-A
Beyond the Darkness
A Moment's Rest

Honourable mentions: Welcome to Our Town, Aria di Mezzo Carattere, Electric de Chocobo, Title Back (Bland Logo). Tough group.

Last edited:

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
^ My thoughts exactly. There's something about the music which doesn't feel so special today.

Choosing a top four was pretty difficult, as there are seven songs that I'd be very glad to see qualify.

My top four

J-E-N-O-V-A This, hands down, is my top pick of the group. This is a slice of pure electronic ambrosia. I pray to the gods that this is not rearranged too liberally for the remake; this song should not be anywhere near a full orchestra, electric guitar, or drumkit.

I said (to myself) back in the spring when nominations were being made that I think this will win the entire shebang, and I still believe that.

Dust To Dust is my second pick. This song is a lullaby from outer space. It features a moving combination of strings and pads to create a warm blanket for the gorgeous reverberating vocals.

A Moment's Rest Peaceful yet dramatic, it really does feel like this time to rest can only last for a moment. Something grander and darker looms throughout this piece, but first we have four and half minutes of respite.

Beyond The Darkness It was so tough choosing a fourth song, but in the end I felt compelled to return to this. I'm not sure whether I prefer the original or the rearrangement for the HD release. The former is more powerful, featuring marching percussion and electronic synths, while the latter is stripped-back and more classical, based on a beautiful trio of violin-cello-piano. I love both versions.

Honourable mentions
Don't Be Afraid
Title Back (Bland Logo)
Dissidia 012 Duodecim - Overture

I actually thought that the last two were part of the same song, they fit together so well. "Bland Logo" is one of those spectacular Sakimoto pieces that ends far too soon. (See also "Dream of Being a Sky Pirate" from FFXII).

By the way, could we please have a better quality video for the Duodecim Overture in the playlist?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This poll is now closed. The songs which have definitely made it into the top 100 are:

Aria di Mezzo Carattere
J-E-N-O-V-A
Don't Be Afraid
Dust to Dust
Electric de Chocobo (as one of the best runners-up)

J-E-N-O-V-A got 21 votes out of 21. 100%. I think we have a favourite to win this event.

Thanks for voting!

Top Bottom