FF song bracket: Round 1, Group 20

Which of these songs do you like best? Choose up to four.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
We've done it, everyone, we've reached the final group!

Pick your four favourite songs from the selection above.

If you can't decide on just four, you can vote for as many as you want, but only in one poll of the 20 in the first round. So if you haven't done it by this point, you might as well. :P The full list of polls can be found here.

You can listen to the songs in the playlist below.

This poll will be open for three days, and at least four songs will qualify for the next round.

Other popular names for these songs include:

Calm before the Storm - "Silence Before the Storm"

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Terra's Theme - Same reason I voted for it in the "Seven" about character themes.

Lifestream - One of the most relaxing Final Fantasy pieces, one that just emanates peace.

Calm Before The Storm - This is a pretty mellow group, but another ridiculously beautiful piece from FFX that despite being used in combat zones is one of the most calming tracks in the game. (No pun intended)

New Bodhum - I've said before this is how to do a vocal song right and I meant it. It's a newer track but I absolutely love it as a town theme. It just starts your adventure off in the right mood.

RedFFWolf

Donator
This one was tricky, indeed.

"Assault" - No problem, especially when considering the HD version
"Lifestream" - Too much attachment to let this one go
"Overture" - Can't put my finger on why I like it so much
"The Legendary Beast"

Honourable mentions to Calm Before the Storm, Terra's Theme and especially Their Resting Place, which almost got the last vote.

Ahhhh, now to lose my shit altogether when Round 2 comes along
(Well done on everything so far, Flint)

Ghost X

Terra's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
Lifestream (Final Fantasy VII)
The Legendary Beast (Final Fantasy VIII)
Calm Before the Storm (Final Fantasy X)

I didn't want to risk voting against the lifestream :awesome:.

Lex

Administrator
Lifestream
Legendary Beast
Silence Before the Storm
Answers

My favourite of the bunch is Silence Before the Storm, that's one of my favourite FFX tracks.

Anybody who didn't vote for answers has never listened to the whole thing from start to finish (so most of you)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Finally used my Joker! Looked at the last 4 rounds this morning, listened to all the songs, and decided to use it for this round because there's a lot here I like. :monster:

Johnny C. Bad - I just love this tune. :awesome:
Terra's Theme
Lifestream -
Very calming.
Calm Before the Storm (Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII)
- melancholic and beautiful.
Assault (Final Fantasy X) - Love the rousing nature of this song and the part where it plays. Very energetic and pumped me up.
Calm Before the Storm (Final Fantasy X) - Another piece from X I really enjoy, nice background music.
Vanille's Theme (Final Fantasy XIII) -
Very much like Vanille.
New Bodhum (Final Fantasy XIII-2)
- My favorite vocal song from XIII-2, I like listening to this on my iPod often. It suits New Bodhum very well.
Answers (Final Fantasy XIV)
- Very nice vocals.

*phew*

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The poll will close in a little over 24 hours.

Edit: my votes are below.

The Rebel Army
Assault
New Bodhum
Answers

Honourable mentions: The Legendary Beast, Lifestream.

If anyone needs convincing to vote for The Rebel Army - it would be the only song from either Final Fantasy II OR III in the top 100 if it got through - I think the orchestral version is pretty damn epic:

I know we're not voting on the orchestral versions, but I actually like the original 8-bit song as well as the PSP/mobile version, which is pretty rare for me. It deserves a place in the next round!

Last edited:

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
Waaah~ I need another joker. I'm beginning to wish I'd saved it for this group. I would vote just like Flare, except I'd also throw in Overture (FFVIII), Rebel Army, and Their Resting Place... Actually there's not a single song in this group that I don't enjoy.
Finally used my Joker! Looked at the last 4 rounds this morning, listened to all the songs, and decided to use it for this round because there's a lot here I like. :monster:

Johnny C. Bad - I just love this tune. :awesome:
Terra's Theme
Lifestream - Very calming.
Calm Before the Storm (Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII) - melancholic and beautiful.
Assault (Final Fantasy X) - Love the rousing nature of this song and the part where it plays. Very energetic and pumped me up.
Calm Before the Storm (Final Fantasy X) - Another piece from X I really enjoy, nice background music.
Vanille's Theme (Final Fantasy XIII) - Very much like Vanille.
New Bodhum (Final Fantasy XIII-2) - My favorite vocal song from XIII-2, I like listening to this on my iPod often. It suits New Bodhum very well.
Answers (Final Fantasy XIV)- Very nice vocals.

Alas, here is my top four. I've voted tactically, for otherwise there would simply be no way to choose only four on merit alone and be done with it.

Assault As the most magnificent song from FFX, this is my top pick of the group. I am in awe of Hamauzu for creating a piece of such beauty, energy and majesty. When I listen to this, I feel as if I'm soaring.

At first I wasn't sure, but now I'm of the opinion that the arrangement for the HD remaster is even better.
SquareEnixMusic.com said:
Hamauzu's "Attack" is a superb effort. It fabulously intersynchs impressionistic harmonies, gliding string lines, and glittering piano use with a blaring bass line and various percussive features, creating two broad and opposing spectrums of colour.

New Bodhum I downloaded the FFXIII-2 soundtrack the other day, and when this came on, I sat right up and paid attention. When the Aggressive Mix followed, I was floored. EDM on a Final Fantasy soundtrack, and with such polish too. Should a DJ ever play this in a club and I'm on that dancefloor, I will be euphoric.

Answers I'm not usually a fan of Uematsu's FFXI/XIV dramatic music; it's mostly too grand and embellished for my taste. But, Answers is an exception and for that I give credit to Susan Calloway, whose vocals here are impeccable. I can't think of a singer more suited to this composition. This song is still over the top, and the spoken word parts are wholly unnecessary, but I kinda don't care when the vocals are this good.

Rebel Army It's not near my actual top four, but I do want a song from FFII in the top 100, and this should be the one. The melody is triumphant; and hey, now we can celebrate reaching the end of Round 1. ^^ If you ask me, the (PSP version) is superior to the NES arrangement. I particularly like when the melody is stripped back to just an acoustic guitar. It's unexpected and works well to maintain my interest.

For honourable mentions see above. I can't believe I've just overlooked Lifestream (2nd favourite), The Legendary Beast (4th), Terra's Theme (5th), and Overture (7th). Oi vey. All will be corrected in the next round (except for Overture, which has no chance to survive *sigh*).

For anyone who's interested, here is the "HD" rearrangement of Calm Before The Storm (FFX). It's very similar to the original but softer.

By the way, could we please have a better quality video for "Their Resting Place" (FFX-2) added to the playlist? Yet another good song, that one.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
By the way, could we please have a better quality video for "Their Resting Place" (FFX-2) added to the playlist? Yet another good song, that one.
Unlike the Dissidia 012 Overture video you linked to in group 19, which was obviously better quality than the one I had put in the playlist, I can't really tell the difference this time. :P But if it makes you happy, I'll change it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This poll is now closed. The songs which have definitely made it into the top 100 are:

The Rebel Army
Terra's Theme
Lifestream
Calm Before the Storm (joint fourth)
Answers (joint fourth)
The Legendary Beast (as one of the best runners-up)

That marks the end of the first round! I'm going to re-check all the vote counts to make sure there are no mistakes before announcing the top 100 (or 102, by the look of it) in the event's discussion thread.

Thanks for voting!

Top Bottom