FF Wiki Bullshit Thread

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
FFWiki is a wiki, and as a wiki, that means it can be edited by anybody. And since it can be edited by anybody, that means oftentimes people will poast bullshit there, be intentional or unintentional. This is a thread for pointing out and/or mocking said bullshit.
Here's an example:
Oerba Yun Fang article said:
Driven by a personal agenda, Fang aims to complete her Focus to save her friend Vanille.
Sorry FFWiki, but Vanille and Fang are moar tha friends.:monster:
Here's another example:
Cloud Strife article said:
Although the two consider each other (and are considered by others) to be childhood friends, by Tifa's own account they were not close growing up, despite him having been her neighbor.
Tifa never says they weren't close, she says they weren't THAT close. There's a difference.
And here's another from Cloud's article:
Her death enrages Cloud, but he is unable to chase after Sephiroth as he throws another piece of Jenova at them and a fight commences.
Sephiroth does not throw a piece of Jenova at them. He IS the piece of Jenova.
And here's another:
Kuja's Theme article said:
In this case, "The Darkness of Eternity"'s length was cut to two minutes, less than half of its original length.
The Darkness of Eternity is only about 2:45 long. Less than half my ass,
And here's an extremely rage inducing example:
Cloud Strife/Dissidia article said:
His hair has more spikes, albeit shorter ones, and he wields the main blade of his Fusion Swords, the First Tsurugi.
FIRST TSURUGI IS NOT THE NAME OF THE SWORD!:rage:
And here's another one from the same profile:
After the battle with Sephiroth on Shade Impulse, Cloud states "the one I really want to meet is...", referring to the ending of Final Fantasy VII where he says "I think I can meet her... there.", presumably referring to Aerith.
THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CONFIRMED! Ad given the greater context of 012, Cloud's probably actually referring to Tifa.
Any other examples of bullshit you guys can find on that site? Also, if any of you have accounts on that site, you might wanna fix those errors.

This is why people need to come to tls for their info, not the wiki. The wiki makes numerous errors regarding Rufus and the Turks, stating as canon suppositions whichg are merely fanon. I used to edit them out, but now I don't even bother.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sorry FFWiki, but Vanille and Fang are moar tha friends.:monster: [citation needed]

The Darkness of Eternity is only about 2:45 long. Less than half my ass, [citation needed]

fixxed, :monster:. Instead of ranting about that here, could you instead make the edits on there yourself? Seeing that you're apparently much better versed in the FF universe and they apparently need people such as yourself, :monster:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Here's bullshit from Johnny's article:
It can be inferred that Johnny was never in SOLDIER -- however, it still remains ambiguous whether he hails from Nibelheim, based on a conversation with Tifa, and the fact it is implied he was the author of a certain letter in Cloud's flashback.
JOHNNY GREW UP IN MIDGAR! WE KNOW THJIS FOR A FACT! JOHNNY IS NOT IMPLIED TO BE THE WRITER OF THAT LETTER! :explain:
And Yop, I cba to make a FFWiki account.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I remember using FFWiki when doing some FFXIII translations to see what the official English names of things were but got annoyed when most of the Japanese names were wrong (like they just put the English name through Google Translate.

I do have an account, but not the arse to be bothered.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Yop, friends don't lift each other's skirts or grope each other's boobs.

Notice how it starts to loop at around 2:45 in.
And it's strongly implied when Johnny leaves Midgar that it's his first time outside there. We at least know he *isn't* from Nibelheim, otherwise his dad probably would have mentioned being from there when you talk to him after Johnny leaves.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
FIRST TSURUGI IS NOT THE NAME OF THE SWORD!:rage:
It isn't? Why would you think it wasn't? (EDIT: unless you are arguing it should be "first ken", or even just "first sword". it's an odd argument-- i would probably just always refer to it as "main blade (of the fusion swords) personally)

THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CONFIRMED! Ad given the greater context of 012, Cloud's probably actually referring to Tifa.
... I think it's quite an obvious reference, and in the original its referring to Aeris.

JOHNNY IS NOT IMPLIED TO BE THE WRITER OF THAT LETTER!
That's true, but if you don't know that Johnny is a mistranslation, you assume he grew up in Nibelheim and is Tifa's childhood friend, and it would therefore make a lot of sense that the letter would be from him. In that scenario.

And Yop, I cba to make a FFWiki account.
You don't need one.

Last edited:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
The main blade can either be called the main balde(as that's what it is), first ken(that's what one of the developers(Nojima iirc), called it once), or first sword(what first ken translates to). First Tsurugi has never been a confirmed name by any official source though.

And it wouldn't make sense for Cloud to be referring to anyone but Tifa given the greater context of 012. Were it an actual references, it probably would've been mentioned to be one in the Ultimania, as the Ultimania listed the references in Dissidia to the original games.

And you're Johnny argument is wrong. That's like saying it's okay to assume the Cetra aren't from the planet 'cause of that one mistranslated line Sephiroth said.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Cloud Strife Article said:
Tetsuya Nomura has stated Cloud's name is supposed to contrast with Zack Fair's and the idea of "fair weather", in that Zack lead a relatively peaceful and happy life while Cloud's has been full of turmoil.

Can someone verify this odd statement? Naturally, it would seem to have been something said long before the production of Crisis Core/exposition of Zack's past. Otherwise, I would assume "Fair" and "Strife" would be more indicative of their respective personalities than their situations.

Fuhito Article said:
Fuhito would leave behind plans to bomb the Sector 1 Reactor, which are later performed by Barret Wallace and his second AVALANCHE at the start of Final Fantasy VII.

Not sure about this either.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
That first quote comes from a Nomura interview from 1999 or 2001 or somewhere around that time, IIRC.

The second, I'm not sure, I've never played BC.

But FFWiki really needs to learn to cite its sources. It loses credibility if it doesn't.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Worrying about this is pointless as long as everyone's allowed to edit the articles. There are misleading stuff in there (case in point: I once read that Reno is Tseng's second-in-command, and that the blonde woman wearing an apron in CC Nibelheim is Cloud's mother) and that's why I do my own research here in TLS when I'm skeptical of something. But for the most part I think FFWiki is helpful.

Anyway isn't it shown who edited the articles? Or does that only work if they have an account? I think you can contact the person so that you won't have to engage in an edit war

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
^Then all the better. But really this isn't going to stop people from editing it. That's why people just need to come to TLS :monster:

espritduo

Zetta Member
Fang and Vanille being "more than friends" is nothing but fan opinion. The only thing we can say, objectively, is that they are friends. Unless the game says they are lesbian lovers, the FF Wiki is not going to imply anything more than what the game says. We don't speculate.

Cloud's swords in Advent Chidlren are simply called Fusion Swords. The individual blades have no name. (page 77, Reunion Files, Takeyuki Takeya, the guy that designed the weapon, says flat out that the individual swords do not have any names or special powers). Anyways, 剣 is the Japanese kanji for a sword, and used when talking about the fusion swords (and any sword anywhere). It is pronounced Tsurugi or Ken. Both are correct usages of the kanji, depending on how the kanji is being used in conjunction with other kanji. First Tsurugi is exactly as correct as First Ken, and they don't actually imply any sort of proper "name". They just refer to the primary (first) sword (tsurugi or ken) in the set of six that comprise the fusions swords. From my understanding, ken is not usually used to refer to a sword by itself, it's used when the kanji is connected to other kanji to define more specific sword-type words (like kendo, or zantetsuken, etc). When you're just trying to say the plain old word "sword" you pronounce the lone kanji as "tsurugi". Anyways, it's all moot, since the term "first tsurugi" is not the proper name of anything, it's just Japanese for first sword, nothing more.

The Johnny thing is perfectly acceptable given the translation we have in the US version of FFVII. Yes, having the Japanese translation of the line to clear up the misunderstanding helps, and we're glad we now have it...but we aren't Japanese and we don't have instant access to every line of text in FFVII translated perfectly, nor do we have the ability to check every single thing we put on the site from the entire series with the Japanese version to make sure it was translated exactly right. We do what we can with what we're given by Square-Enix. This is where specific sites dedicated to exactly such things, like here, can really help the wiki, instead of pulling the "lol, wiki is so stoopid" card.

And Sephiroth does throw the piece of Jenova at the party. The wiki does not go out of its way to spoil the player on simple face-value descriptions of scenes. There is no reason to go in-depth into the true, complicated nature of the Sephiroth you follow throughout the game when describing a scene where you're not supposed to know the true nature of that Sephiroth. When you watch the scene, it is Sephiroth that is doing the walking and talking and throwing, and the player isn't meant to assume otherwise. If you want the true nature of Sephiroth, we have a page for him where you can spoil yourself silly on all the intricacies of his character and role in the game. don't expect such spoilerific in-depth details on pages that have nothing to do with Sephiroth.

Darkness of Eternity is exactly 4:43 long, as you posted there. Whether it loops or not is irrelevant. Songs tend to do that. The official length of the song is how long it is on the official soundtrack. 4 minutes and 43 seconds. That makes the Theatrhythm version less than half the official length of the song.

Pretty much for all your alleged "bullshit", you're being overly semantic about minor quibbles in phrasing. It's hardly fair to call the wiki bullshit because they don't use the word "that" when describing Tifa and Cloud's childhood relationship. As for the Dissidia quote, you're speculating on what it means just as much as the wiki is. In fact, there's more incorrect bullshit in this very thread than there is on the wiki articles you're calling bullshit.

The wiki is, and always will be, a work in progress. If you find some typo somewhere, fix it. Or don't. But don't whine about trivial bullshit because it's the cool thing to do to rip on wiki's. I used to be one of those people, and bashed the FFWiki with the best of them. Then I grew up. And the wiki has, too. It's leaps and bounds more accurate, objective, and complete than it was five years ago, thanks to dedicated contributors. Instead of being a do-nothing whiner, I chose to try and become one of those dedicated contributors. Not everyone has to make that choice, but if you're not going to try and help, don't whine about inconsquential bullshit either.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Fang and Vanille being "more than friends" is nothing but fan opinion. The only thing we can say, objectively, is that they are friends. Unless the game says they are lesbian lovers, the FF Wiki is not going to imply anything more than what the game says. We don't speculate.
IIRC, the developers have outright said they are lesbian lovers before.

Cloud's swords in Advent Chidlren are simply called Fusion Swords. The individual blades have no name. (page 77, Reunion Files, Takeyuki Takeya, the guy that designed the weapon, says flat out that the individual swords do not have any names or special powers). Anyways, 剣 is the Japanese kanji for a sword, and used when talking about the fusion swords (and any sword anywhere). It is pronounced Tsurugi or Ken. Both are correct usages of the kanji, depending on how the kanji is being used in conjunction with other kanji. First Tsurugi is exactly as correct as First Ken, and they don't actually imply any sort of proper "name". They just refer to the primary (first) sword (tsurugi or ken) in the set of six that comprise the fusions swords. From my understanding, ken is not usually used to refer to a sword by itself, it's used when the kanji is connected to other kanji to define more specific sword-type words (like kendo, or zantetsuken, etc). When you're just trying to say the plain old word "sword" you pronounce the lone kanji as "tsurugi". Anyways, it's all moot, since the term "first tsurugi" is not the proper name of anything, it's just Japanese for first sword, nothing more.
Actually, it was an audio interview in which he called it first Ken, so yes, we do know it's ken he said. Not that it matters, since it technically should be called first sword anyway, no need for unnecessary engrish.

The Johnny thing is perfectly acceptable given the translation we have in the US version of FFVII. Yes, having the Japanese translation of the line to clear up the misunderstanding helps, and we're glad we now have it...but we aren't Japanese and we don't have instant access to every line of text in FFVII translated perfectly, nor do we have the ability to check every single thing we put on the site from the entire series with the Japanese version to make sure it was translated exactly right. We do what we can with what we're given by Square-Enix. This is where specific sites dedicated to exactly such things, like here, can really help the wiki, instead of pulling the "lol, wiki is so stoopid" card.
No it isn't. Even in the English version most of Johnny and his relatives' lines imply he was always from Midgar. The "Johnny is the son of the general store owner" is a fandom theory based on no real evidence whatsoever.

And Sephiroth does throw the piece of Jenova at the party. The wiki does not go out of its way to spoil the player on simple face-value descriptions of scenes. There is no reason to go in-depth into the true, complicated nature of the Sephiroth you follow throughout the game when describing a scene where you're not supposed to know the true nature of that Sephiroth. When you watch the scene, it is Sephiroth that is doing the walking and talking and throwing, and the player isn't meant to assume otherwise. If you want the true nature of Sephiroth, we have a page for him where you can spoil yourself silly on all the intricacies of his character and role in the game. don't expect such spoilerific in-depth details on pages that have nothing to do with Sephiroth.
Actually, the Wiki *does* go out of its way to spoil shit.

Darkness of Eternity is exactly 4:43 long, as you posted there. Whether it loops or not is irrelevant. Songs tend to do that. The official length of the song is how long it is on the official soundtrack. 4 minutes and 43 seconds. That makes the Theatrhythm version less than half the official length of the song.
4:43 is the length if you loop it. The length of the song by it's self with out looping is around 2:44ish.

Pretty much for all your alleged "bullshit", you're being overly semantic about minor quibbles in phrasing. It's hardly fair to call the wiki bullshit because they don't use the word "that" when describing Tifa and Cloud's childhood relationship. As for the Dissidia quote, you're speculating on what it means just as much as the wiki is. In fact, there's more incorrect bullshit in this very thread than there is on the wiki articles you're calling bullshit.
The difference is the Wiki is treating it's speculation as if it were fact, whereas I'm simply saying mine is likely.

The wiki is, and always will be, a work in progress. If you find some typo somewhere, fix it. Or don't. But don't whine about trivial bullshit because it's the cool thing to do to rip on wiki's. I used to be one of those people, and bashed the FFWiki with the best of them. Then I grew up. And the wiki has, too. It's leaps and bounds more accurate, objective, and complete than it was five years ago, thanks to dedicated contributors. Instead of being a do-nothing whiner, I chose to try and become one of those dedicated contributors. Not everyone has to make that choice, but if you're not going to try and help, don't whine about inconsquential bullshit either.

Quit being so defensive. And you're calling me overly semantic(which I am, but still).

Addendum: You must have some perverted friends then GLD.:monster:

Last edited:

espritduo

Zetta Member
IIRC, the developers have outright said they are lesbian lovers before.

No they most certainly have not. And if they have, that would be the biggest bombshell of FFXIII, and demands a quote from who said it and when and in what context.

Actually, it was an audio interview in which he called it first Ken, so yes, we do know it's ken he said. Not that it matters, since it technically should be called first sword anyway, no need for unnecessary engrish.
Doesn't matter what he said, it's just a common kanji with multiple pronunciations. He may say ken in one interview, and someone else may say tsurugi in another. It's the same word. And you're right, it doesn't matter, because it's not actually a proper name.

No it isn't. Even in the English version most of Johnny and his relatives' lines imply he was always from Midgar. The "Johnny is the son of the general store owner" is a fandom theory based on no real evidence whatsoever.
The English version is confusing, and the wiki did what it could dealing with a confusing, contradictory plot thread based on what the English script said. If even one line says that he is from Nibelheim, we have to take that into consideration. But in the end, we now have the true translation, so it doesn't matter anymore. The problem was found and corrected, and progress was made. Such is the nature of a wiki.

Actually, the Wiki *does* go out of its way to spoil shit.
No, it really doesn't, at least not intentionally. Yes, it does spoil shit more than it should in a lot of cases, but we try not to do that when we can. In this particular case, we shouldn't be spoiling the true nature of that scene on a page and section not dealing with Sephiroth's true form, and thus there is nothing wrong with the face-value way it is described.

4:43 is the length if you loop it. The length of the song by it's self with out looping is around 2:44ish.
As I already said, 4:43 is the official length of the song on the soundtrack, and whether it happens to repeat during that timeframe is completely irrelevant. Songs repeat as part of their structure quite often. Now, you might try and argue that the melody is only such and such seconds long, but that is not what anyone is talking about here. The soundtrack says 4:43, the song is 4:43 long. End of story.

The difference is the Wiki is treating it's speculation as if it were fact, whereas I'm simply saying mine is likely.
True enough. I'd have to see that particular scene in Dissidia again to make any firm statements on the matter, but if there's any room for debate, then taking no stance at all is always better than taking any particular stance.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Umm, the point of the Wiki is to spoil shit so people can no more about the games. They just warn you before sections with major spoilers(and the section mention Sephiroth throwing the pieces of Jenova happens to be one). Seriously, never does he throw the piece of Jenova innthat scenr, since he fucking IS the piece of Jenova.

I agree regarding the first sword and who Cloud wants to meet thing, and I won't bother arguing about the darkness of eternity thing, since it'll just be rehashes of the same arguments.

And regarding the Fang/Vanille thing, I cba to look anything up atm, but you do *not* touch your sister the way Fang and Vanille touch each other.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I feel like this thread is a little inappropriate. Shouldn't the wiki be a friend rather than something we mock?

Lex

Administrator
Although I take issue with the fact that it can be edited by any moron, at the same time that's the point of a Wiki, and if something has a verifiable source and the articles are all mantained, it's an excellent resource.

The FFWiki is a useful tool for anyone wanting to dive into FF lore/ gameplay elements etc, and it does it's job IMO. So I agree with Tennyo. Our concern will always be the accuracy of the information on this site though, not that of the Wiki.

We're two different mediums, but I think we're capable of providing a more detailed and objective look at the Compilation from official translations than the Wiki can, in part because of the people here and in part because it's not open to the public in the same way a Wiki is.

tl;dr - the Wiki's a good resource, stop mocking it, accept the fact that there's going to be bias/ misinformation here and there since any random can cut about on pages and change stuff. This is why you're always told not to use Wikipedia as a source when you're writing something.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Oh, I agree the FF Wiki, is USUALLY a good resource. USUALLY. This thread's point is to show examples of where it isn't.

And for the record, as far as I know, Fang and Vanille have never been called 'friends' either. And you don't grope your sister/friend's boob ffs! Like with any other FF couple, there shouldn't have to be word of god as it's obvious enough already. And I never said there was word of god, I said I was pretty sure there was if I recall correctly, but I've checked now and as far as I know there isn't. Still doesn't mean they aren't a couple.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
And for the record, as far as I know, Fang and Vanille have never been called 'friends' either. And you don't grope your sister/friend's boob ffs!

You obviously don't know anything about friendships between females. We grope and touch each others boobs all the time :monster:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
And for the record, as far as I know, Fang and Vanille have never been called 'friends' either. And you don't grope your sister/friend's boob ffs! Like with any other FF couple, there shouldn't have to be word of god as it's obvious enough already. And I never said there was word of god, I said I was pretty sure there was if I recall correctly, but I've checked now and as far as I know there isn't. Still doesn't mean they aren't a couple.
I'm just saying that if you're gonna call out FF wikia on their "bullshit" and misinformation, don't be a hypocrite and claim things to be canon or that you have read an interview/have an Ultimania quote stating what is canon and not cite your sources.

Just. Saying.

Also going by the Word of God not being needed to confirm canon logic, then wouldn't that mean that Cloud/Aerith is just as canon as Cloud/Tifa?

:monster: Just kidding don't shoo- *gets shot with a brick*

Top Bottom