FF7 Rrmake Announced

Elisa Maza

Whomst
What is this, I don't even...

No, seriously, in danger of sounding like a total idiot of epic proportions, what was that?

Scrat

The World Changes With You
AKA
Kalvanas - DeviantArt
I got excited as well...Damn! Haha! Oh well, it was cute for the first ten seconds :P

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Lol I showed this to joe last night

Vossler

Voss da boss bitch
AKA
Nightmare,race driver,steel tormenter
Interesting. Hell I think it should be up to the fans to just remake the damn game. You know it's the most popular series in FF. So why the fuck not?

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
1. Because they want to make it in a short time and they can't. i.e. they admit they can't be arsed with the effort needed.

2. Because they will ruin the original by fucking about with it like Lucas did with Star Wars.

3. Because Squenix is very different now to when it was just square.

4. Because FF7 is a finished game and we should strive for originality and not rehashing.

5. Because FF7 is being remade somewhat over at Qhimm's Forum anyway and by people who love the game, not money.

FF7 isn't being remade by Squenix and thank Dawkins for that. :)

Last edited:

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
I'm tired of seeing posts "WHY FFVII SHOULD'NT HAVE ANY REMAKE" and all other shits....>_>

But that was cute :excited:

Username

Banned
I tried viewing, but the vid has been banned so i shall comment entirely on my own.

To be quite honest, i have mixed reviews about a remake...after years of thought, as much as i would like to see updated graphics plus voice acting etc...i can honestly see a remake to be a huge disappointment, and can see many people complaining saying that the remake has ruined FF7. I want a remake, but it simply has to be perfect, anything but, would be a huge disappointment.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
and that's what I want but it is asking a for a huge turn around that they would get it right after they got everything else so wrong.

I can imagine FF7 remake being nothing but huge bloated fight scenes and other story elements which ruin the nice balance of relative realism, in favour of cheap kicks for fanboys. FF7 remake would be like FF7: Remake Advent Children Edition.

If they stayed to the original game and did not deviate from it in the main areas, it would be absolutely amazing. But they won't. They are already saying themselves that they would want it to have tons of graphics and it would take years, and that to me means they want to bloat it up and aren't thinking in terms of good design at all.

If Square can give us one or two masterpieces of games within a few years, then we can start talking about a remake.

You know what, we should almost rename TLS into something that implies just how much we hate Square Enix. That's what we do more than half the time anyway; bitchin' about Square.

Rei.K

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I don't think it would be a good idea for the current Square to engage in the making of a FFVII remake, since they've had a tendency to f*ck up most of their games lately.

... a remake could have been successful before the merge, when they actually cared about their games.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I dunno if you'd want fans remaking it either. You get people like DLPB trying to take entire characters out of the game.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I dunno if you'd want fans remaking it either. You get people like DLPB trying to take entire characters out of the game.

Nice pop at me, but see, the difference is that I am giving people a choice whether they want that mod in the game and not forcing it on them. That is the big difference. I have said many times that a remake should give the user as many options as possible including:

game difficulty (a BIG problem with FF games), original and upgraded FMV, original and improved Music. To name a few.

A good game will allow options. And yes, I would allow an option to completely remove Cait useless Sith and replace him with a better character. :loopy: Out of all the characters in the original game, Cait is by far the most useless and is out of place in the game. I like relative realism and in a game filled with many important themes, he destroys any scene which he is in. (and let's not forget Deus ex machina temple of the Ancients)

You will be glad to know that I have already eradicated him from the FMV and am now working on a story. I am not trying to do anything, I am doing it. I finish what I start.

I don't think it would be a good idea for the current Square to engage in the making of a FFVII remake, since they've had a tendency to f*ck up most of their games lately.

... a remake could have been successful before the merge, when they actually cared about their games.

Can I thank that twice?

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Check out this really stupid article.

Didn’t you all hate Final Fantasy XII?

No.

And Final Fantasy XIII?

No.

And XIV doesn't really count. I wanna say that I'm not saying they unequivocally SHOULD make a remake, I too would like them to definitively prove they can make a successful console game this generation first. But it doesn't change the fact that this article has a lot of stupid. Starting with the examples of things that supposedly "wouldn't work" in fancy graphics.

■Anything that involves Cait Sith (who never made much sense)

Um...why? He was in Advent Children AND Dirge of Cerberus and didn't seem to break the universe or "the magic" or whatever. He is what he is. And then the author even says Cait Sith never made sense. So then what would the difference be anyway? Next.

■Anything that involves Red XIII (he tip-toes on his hind legs past guards or something at one point)

Again he was in Advent Children and (however briefly) Dirge. What's the problem? Also, Red never tiptoes past guards on hind legs. He is standing upright in uniform on the ship to Costa Del Sol, but he's standing alone. You see him hiding on the ship during the send off and he's on all fours, he just snuck on board normally and then took on a disguise and kept his distance. Not that big a deal dude.

■Barret in a sailor suit

Why? They could just, y'know...put him in a sailor suit? What kind of point is this? Did you see what he is wearing in Advent Children? I don't think it would be that much of a stretch.

■The Tifa/Scarlett slapfight atop the Junon Cannon

...again, why? They slap each other...? This would be awkward in good graphics how? Next.

■The squat contest between Cloud and the bodybuilders

I swear you're just picking random events. WHY?! Crisis Core HAD a squat contest, it looked fine. I'll bet you didn't even play it.

■Snowboarding down a mountain moments after Aerith’s demise

The fact that he says "moments" makes me think he's picking on the fact that you snowboard so soon after losing her. So firstly, what on Earth does that have to do with the graphics? Secondly, they didn't snowboard for the hell of it, they had to get down the mountain, you want them to trudge down it slowly and depressed? Thirdly, if you did mean the graphics, you're still a moron. How many snowboarding games are out there? Next.

■Hiding aboard a cartoony submarine

submarine.jpg
submarine.jpg

...What's cartoony about it? Its a submarine. The bridge is a little over-the-top I guess but no moreso than all the airship bridges in Final Fantasy. Do you even PLAY this series?

■Protecting a giant condor’s eggs

This is unworkable in good graphics how? In FFX you spend the last playable room before the final boss collecting eggs that materialize out of nowhere. This is far less meaningless.

■The whole Don Corneo scenario

I moved this til the end because it is the ONLY ONE that he's potentially right about. They would have to be very careful with the Honeybee Inn and the crossdressing segment because what was silly in lego graphics could quickly become creepy. I still think they could pull it off, it would require some care that they haven't exhibited of late.

1 of 9 that are even close to having a point is not a great ratio dude. But this next sentence is where I really lost interest in what you had to say.

So, wait, Sephiroth is actually a series of ghost clones manifested by, uh, his will to lure Cloud to his resting place to hand him — wait, how does a ghost slay a Midgar Zolom, a president or a flower girl?!

:failsafe:

I am officially convinced you haven't played the game. Or at least not since its release. Ghost clones? Where the hell did you get that from? The 'clones' are the survivors of the Nibelheim Incident that Hojo injected with Jenova cells. Their weak-wills and shattered psyches after seeing their town destroyed were easy for Jenova to dominate. And Sephiroth was in control of Jenova, so he could control them - just as he controlled Cloud.
And for your double-fail, Sephiroth was not a series of clones anyway. The Sephiroth you face for most of the game are pieces of Jenova. Jenova is a shapeshifter under Sephiroth's control. So, at his call, Jenova's body being stored at the Shinra building broke out, morphed into his shape, and killed President Shinra. You kill a piece on the ship, another piece kills Aerith, and you kill another piece at the crater just before finding Sephiroth's body.

While I wouldn't hold it against you for missing some of the intricacies, to get something so basic to the plotline completely wrong in an article ABOUT FF7 makes me really disinclined to take anything else you say very seriously. I could very well stop here, as this line makes my point for me, but I'll continue anyway. I only have to go to the next sentence to find something else wrong.

It wasn’t until 2005′s animated movie Advent Children made all the characters droll super-serious Super Saiyans, and everyone suddenly forgot Cloud once donned a dress and tiara to sneak into a bordello to rescue Tifa by seducing a slumlord. In a place called Honeybee Manor.

images
cloudia.jpg

Yeah, no one forgot.
And since I'm being nitpicky, he didn't seduce anyone in the Honeybee Manor, it was in Don Corneo's bedroom on the other side of town.

The goofy elements would have to be excised to suit that style.

No they wouldn't.

The game would be stripped of its personality, like Cloud.

Ha ha you're so clever.

It wasn’t until Final Fantasy VIII (a game unfairly mauled all the time because it isn’t FFVII-2)

lol, no it isn't. Its mauled because Draw sucks and the story unravels halfway through. And even then I'd hardly say its "mauled," a TON of people like FF8. FFs IX and X are both beloved and neither of those are VII-2, again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The FFVII we have now is a bizarre-looking hybrid, and that’s where most of its charm lies. For better and worse, it brought RPGs, and games in general, to the mainstream. If Square Enix remakes FFVII it to resemble Advent Children, where everyone looks like they just stepped out of Rent or Twilight, we’ll have another cold, dreary game about the end of the world with no significance attached. It’ll just be another cash cow in a too-long line of remakes. Square Enix pumps out remakes faster than a gold chocobo at the races, so the chance of a remake remains a faint possibility. On the other hand, we know how much fanboy and fangirl clamor, petitions, wishing and praying gets us. I still don’t see Metal Gear Solid 4 on the Xbox 360, or a fresh Chrono game.
God forbid they set their sights on new Saga, Mana, or tactics-based Front Mission games — or a proper Xeno game. Or The World Ends Without You 2. Or, hell, a new IP.

Here I start to lose his point. I thought he was saying it wouldn't work. All he does is complain about remakes, and that they aren't the games HE wants to be remade. And while that's a fair enough point, have any of their remakes been dissected? Was FFIV's charm completely destroyed in a transision to 3D? Did they have to "excise" entire scenes or characters that wouldn't translate well. No. Did the remakes not make money? I think they did, that's why they keep making them. You've defeated your own point.
And I love how he lists the games he'd rather see revisited such as Chrono Trigger. I thought they'd ruin VII, they wouldn't ruin Chrono Trigger? Also, its the World Ends WITH You.

How would Square Enix handle the battle system? Leaving it as it won’t fly with today’s audience used to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Fallout.

Mass Effect is a shooter-RPG, Fallout pauses frequently with the use of VATS, and Dragon Age combat is even more laborious than FFVII's. You have to pause CONSTANTLY. VII's NEVER pauses, its already faster. All they would have to do is speed it up, add a new mechanic here or there (as they did in IV with augments). Make the combat like X-2's or XIII's (in terms of speed, I mean). Or just leaving it wouldn't DESTROY its chances.. Lost Odyssey has a pretty standard battle system that no one seemed to complain about.

What about variable choose-your-own-adventure

Yeah! Like all the newer FFs! Oh wait...

[What about] good-or-evil style of play?

Because no one is sick of that 2 dimensional, black and white system yet, right? Let's throw some quick time events in too.

Finally, a remake would be a stupendously expensive venture. Why would Square Enix spend all those hours, money and resources on a game that came out over ten years ago

...Because it would turn a profit? More than they can say for FFXIV.

Square Enix has wasted enough — more than enough — attention on FFVII.

And you clearly didn't even pay attention to it the first time you played it.

Anyways, again, I'm not saying I definitively disagree with the meat of his point. But I'm not willing to give his arguments a whole lot thought with how wrong he is for most of that article.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
He is right about a lot of things imho (although some of his points are crap), but unfortunately he is another person who can't separate gameplay elements with the MAIN STORY and how a MOVIE works. Unfortunately, Advent Children proved that nor can the main writers. That's why AC looks ridiculous (limit breaks in battle for example, looks bizarre and out of place). They tried to make it a movie with gameplay elements, and that doesn't work, the same way as a game with too many cutscenes and movie doesn't. People go into a movie to get involved with the characters, story, dialogue and to suspend disbelief.. they do not expect it to play like a game that you watch. AC was a huge failure.

I am glad they aren't remaking it for a lot of the reasons outlined.

How would Square Enix handle the battle system? Leaving it as it won’t fly with today’s audience used to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Fallout.
That one especially is absolutely spot on. They will change the battle system to be more like AC and FF13. It will be a joke.

He is also right that they cocked FF12,13,14 up and we don't want this company trying to remake a game they are now completely out of touch with.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
This person obviously hasn't played Bayonetta.

At least open references to prostitution is not that big of an issue in games anymore. But yes, Cloud bathing with a group of older men...we aren't gonna see that...are we? *is scared*

Is it awful that I was slightly turned on by this?

Dunno if it's awful, but you're not alone.

Or well, I should say that I *used* to get slightly turned on by fem-Cloud pictures. Then I got oldered and stopped. :awesome:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I guess they could just do the bathing scene the same way they did the first time, slide the camera up so that you can only see his hair. It had the added bonus of not requiring new models, after all :monster:

Top Bottom