FF7 Steam/PS4 versions - have the mismatched audio tracks been patched?

deaconblues1138

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hello all,

Just coming back to FF7, I want to finally beat it. I'm struggling over the best way to play it - I know the Steam version is decent aside from some FPS issues, but some users have brought up an issue that worries me - that at certain crucial scenes, the game plays the wrong musical tracks, somewhat ruining the emotional weight of these scenes. Has anyone played thru the Steam/PS4 versions recently and can confirm/deny this?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The lifestream sequence doesn't play the wrong track anymore but the music still isn't timed to the scene and stops too soon leaving the rest of the scene without music. Other scenes still have the music fade out incorrectly.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
In my FF7 modding days, I actually figured out why this problem even exists in the first place. There's a command that's supposed to carry music over between screen transitions, even if that track doesn't exist on the preceding map. For whatever reason, the command just doesn't work in the PC version or the ports built off it. I found a number of ways around it, but I guess square didn't feel the need to bother.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Its only a problem in a handful of scenes, it just so happens that one of those scenes is one of the most important moments in the game. I don';t think its a deal breaker, but its one thing the PS1 version still has over the other versions.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
When they fire the Sister Ray, it plays the entire track "The Mako Cannon Fires ~ Shinra Explodes," and it all plays in the first section of the scene. Instead it's supposed to play just first part of the track and go silent once the reactors dump their power into the cannon, before cutting to Weapon firing, then resuming the rest of the track as the shot continues to the Northern Cave and Weapon's shots destroy the top of the Shinra building.

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
I'm forever annoyed how the Steam version (and PS4, etc?) Lifestream sequence goes from the epic Main Theme (then momentarily silent) to be suddenly replaced by the Reactor theme when Sephiroth gets impaled...I really really hope they'll fix this at some point. Where's my epic build up of the music swelling as Seph's yeeted down below?! :(

I can't remember what sometimes plays instead of Yuffie's theme when you recruit her. I think it's either Fort Condor music or Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony but that made me chuckle.

SocraticMethod

Ex ACFer
AKA
ticalmc2k2
I'm forever annoyed how the Steam version (and PS4, etc?) Lifestream sequence goes from the epic Main Theme (then momentarily silent) to be suddenly replaced by the Reactor theme when Sephiroth gets impaled...I really really hope they'll fix this at some point. Where's my epic build up of the music swelling as Seph's yeeted down below?! :(

I can't remember what sometimes plays instead of Yuffie's theme when you recruit her. I think it's either Fort Condor music or Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony but that made me chuckle.

The Sephiroth part from the Lifestream frustrates me to no end since it's the climax of so much of the story in the game and it gets undercut by messing up the music! I just played the PC/Steam version for the first time recently and was like "wtf!"

I remember Yuffie's recruiting scene being annoying too since Descendant of the Shinobi doesn't play (one of my favorite songs).

The only music that's been fixed afaik is they finally got stopped restarting the theme music on the world map.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I have been wondering the same thing!

I have the version from the PS3 store, which I believe is a port of the PS1 version. There should be any issues on that one, should there? I know the PS4 and Steam use the PC version, which I think is the crux of a lot of these issues. I assume the switch version uses the PC version as well?

I haven't seen any one place that compares every release. If there is one, please point me in that direction!

SocraticMethod

Ex ACFer
AKA
ticalmc2k2
Can I get a comparison for Yuffie's recruitment? I've been trying to fix the music issues in my mod, but I didn't realize that was one of them.

I believe the Steam version incorrectly plays the Fort Condor music after you defeat Yuffie (the field where you have to select the correct answers to recruit her). It's supposed to play Descendant of Shinobi for the whole scene.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I have been wondering the same thing!

I have the version from the PS3 store, which I believe is a port of the PS1 version. There should be any issues on that one, should there? I know the PS4 and Steam use the PC version, which I think is the crux of a lot of these issues. I assume the switch version uses the PC version as well?

I haven't seen any one place that compares every release. If there is one, please point me in that direction!

PS1 games from the PS3 store are emulated. It's basically the same as playing the PS1 disc so yeah there's no issues there. It's the original PS1 version.

And yeah, the Switch version is also based on the PC port.

Top Bottom