FF9 Is My Favourite Because I Relate With Both The Hero And Villain (reddit post)

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
**LONG POST**

Vivi is my favorite character in FF9. It didn't take long for me to love him and, as will anyone who loves anyone or anything, I became concerned with his well being and specific journey throughout the game. So when he faced his biggest problem involving himself and the Blake Mages, I stood by him as close as I virtually could, and wished him well. However, as much as I adored Vi, it may come to a surpise to some that I did not relate with him, not even once. In fact, I found all the characters rather likable, even if I didn't connect with them on a personal level.

Not until, that is, the last quarter of the story, when Zidane first found out about the Genomes, his situation was not unlike Vivi's. He was confused and even startled, but he handled himself much differently from his friend. Even when he had no answers, Zidane still held on strongly to himself and what he believed in. He was sure to put a fine line between the alikeness of himself and the Genomes, all the while not denying them completely. The more he showed this, the more intrigued I was. As I said before, I fondly liked all the characters, but this was the first time I was connecting with them. Even so, while I was happy to relate to at least one character, I still felt inside that something was somehow missing, but I didn't quite know what.

Then enters Kuja. Zidane is described to be his like-minded brother even if he was the villain. Zidane is fine (at first) with who he is even with the knowledge of him being a Genome, but Kuja and his desire for individuality went to an extremist level. Because he was alive before Zidane he was alone surrounded by soulless, brainless vessels, puppets for what was to happen in the future. Even though he had gained his own individuality he couldn't stand that he was just controlled as them, which furthered his disdain of the Genomes and his self hatred. For me, Kuja's tail covering is a huge symbol. While it's valid that some could brush this away as a sad case of self detestment, to me it is a combination of that and his desperate desire to hang onto his individuality. If he hides (or gets ride of) he tail, he is neither Genome or Human, he is himself, Kuja. No-one can label him anything, not even he. His revenge for Garland is also possibly symbolic for the same reason - he won't follow Garland's plan in order to write his own fate. This also explains why he hates the Black Mages, because the remind him of the puppet he was created to be.

For what I am sure some people would label me as a "POC", I understand Kuja's way of thinking entirely. I pray for future generations to never experience this, but I'm sure that most "POC" children are taught and an early age that their lives are apparently half cursed. That the government hates them for what they look like, or the police does, or the country does - even the world itself. Regardless of this being true or not, they are taught their lives are "doomed"; they will be treated lesser, paid lesser, have higher chances of getting harmed or even killed. I remember rejecting all of these proposals, trying to to remain strong in myself as Zidane was unphased, but wasn't done without a dark struggle.

Kuja wasn't told any of this as a child of course, but he still felt "doomed", as if he had no life for himself, to be chained to being a Genome for Garland. And when he finally gained his own individuality (which, as I theorized, is quite literally himself) that was in danger of being snatched from him as well, when Zidane was created. His revenge for Garland is also possibly just as symbolic as his tail covering - he won't follow Garland's plan in order to write his own fate. I know that once in my life if I had Kuja's powers, I would have done the same. I had already fallen into soul deep in self hatred and hatred of everyone; I just wanted the whole world to implode with my along them - coincidentally just as Kuja wished. So, when his character was explained by Garland, I felt complete. I understood Kuja and his darkness. I understood Zidane and his security as a person (or "being", since he is not human) while not rejecting his origin, and I understood even more when he eventually had temporarily fallen and lost himself before he was saved by his friends.

As I said before, I love Vivi. I have nothing against a person's want to belong with people who look like them (aka, "their/my people"). I support them, as I have Vivi. But with the Genome brothers, I can see and relate clearly. They are two sides of the same coin, but also myself.
link:https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFanta...f9_is_my_favorite_game_because_i_relate_with/
----
Opinions on the matter?

Last edited:

Vivi_Carol

Pro Adventurer
WELL, Chewbaka; since it IS your favorite you should benefit from the mod that only seeks to extend such love. (FF9: Zodiac Age)
I'm serious. And yes I had to do that.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Hmmm....it's been quite a while since I've played through IX (I have the remaster on my PS4, so it's 'in the queue', as it were, I just have a few to choose from at the moment), but I honestly never considered the 'racial allegory' component. Thinking about it now, it seems to clearly be present, but I just never approached it from that angle. The Mages being identity-less led me to think of it more as a social critique, i.e. "you will be punished if you step out of line, and will struggle, whereas you'll be granted a degree of security/'purpose' if you conform". I'm sure it helped that I was an angsty teenager at the time lol. Even though the casts are (overwhelmingly) white with a few 'are these supposed to be asian?' characters, you can actually see this kind of subtext in a few of the FFs. VII's backstory in particular has the whole "technology wielding colonists exploiting and wiping out in-touch-with-the-planet peoples", and while the few Ancients we see are of course white as snow, the analogy seems pretty clear.

I guess this wasn't exactly an on-point response, but I like where you're going with this.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
OFF TOPIC:
my name has finally changed and i don't know where to find the AKA section in the settings. where is it?

WELL, Chewbaka; since it IS your favorite you should benefit from the mod that only seeks to extend such love. (FF9: Zodiac Age)
I'm serious. And yes I had to do that.
is this an open game for a bribery relationship with a mod? :wacky:

Hmmm....it's been quite a while since I've played through IX (I have the remaster on my PS4, so it's 'in the queue', as it were, I just have a few to choose from at the moment), but I honestly never considered the 'racial allegory' component. Thinking about it now, it seems to clearly be present, but I just never approached it from that angle.[/spoiler]
i'm sure many have thought the same as you. this is an extremely personal matter for me as i have suffered with it for years when i was a teenager and still do now.

The Mages being identity-less led me to think of it more as a social critique, i.e. "you will be punished if you step out of line, and will struggle, whereas you'll be granted a degree of security/'purpose' if you conform". I'm sure it helped that I was an angsty teenager at the time lol.[/spoiler]

to be honest, i didn't see any individuality matters with the mage arc. vivi was trying to find a place to belong with them all as a group, which i thought was one of the biggest points of the game. now i think that the individuality part of the game was probably the biggest since kuja and zidane are connected not only by blood but ideals. as i said before i supported vivi on his road to understand himself, i just didn't understand how much it mattered to him.

either way, the racial tones for the game seemed to be obvious, since garnet was trying to work the planet's people all together in peace.

Even though the casts are (overwhelmingly) white with a few 'are these supposed to be asian?' characters, you can actually see this kind of subtext in a few of the FFs. VII's backstory in particular has the whole "technology wielding colonists exploiting and wiping out in-touch-with-the-planet peoples", and while the few Ancients we see are of course white as snow, the analogy seems pretty clear.

I guess this wasn't exactly an on-point response, but I like where you're going with this.
no it's fine, more discussion on the matter is welcome, in fact your point is rather interesting. i hadn't thought about that in regards to VII.

Top Bottom