FFIII apparently coming to PC

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Not bad. Any idea if it's going to be based on the DS version or a new version entirely? I presume they wouldn't port the NES version to PC.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's probably the easiest to port.

That said, all classic games (NES, SNES, GB etc) should be easy to port to all platforms too; plenty of emulators out there, and I'm sure nobody would object to getting licensed and packaged with one of the old SE games.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
every other port (besides the nintendo virtual console ones) were based on the ds version, so i imagine this will be the same

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Nice to have another place to play the DS version. I really would like them to release the original version in english. I don't much care for the updated version, nothing wrong with it, just like the original more. Would just like an "official" way to play it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's the only Final Fantasy I've never played. And while I don't have an overwhelming desire to play it, I might pick it up for posterity.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, that's my main reason I never made a huge effort to play it. I know there's no real story, and FFV, Tactics, and X-2 all did the job system better. Just seemed like suffering through old, grindy design phliosophy just for the sake of completion.

I did hear good things about the DS version (but I thought the good things said about the DS version of FFIV were exaggerated), so I still may look into it.

Alice

The Persistent Flourish
The game is getting another port? Not that I mind, I actually welcome it. Looking forward to seeing if there will be anything special about this version, although I doubt it.

That being said, it would be cool to see the original game again in some form. I'm not desperate, it's just an idea. It's kind of weird knowing that in some ways, most still aren't experiencing FFIII. Technically.

Alice

The Persistent Flourish
The screenshots are making me raise an eyebrow. They look like the smartphone version of the game, which you can tell from the fact that the menu looks different to the PSP version, as well some other minor graphical differences. The title screen reads "2013". There are black borders on the sides.

Either we're being given screenshots of the smartphone port, or the PC version is just the smartphone port with little optimisation. I'm hoping the latter isn't the case for a number of reasons.

EDIT: The Ouya version of FFIII came out in 2013. Hmm.
EDIT2:

Looks pretty similar to me.

EDIT3: I didn't notice a release date before, so I hope this isn't my memory playing with me. Steam has noted it as the 28th of May.

Last edited:

Alice

The Persistent Flourish
The game is out. I just played until after the first boss. It's a straight port of the smartphone version. Or Ouya. Might as well be the same thing. Eight direction movement even with thumbstick (played on a 360 controller). Black borders and everything. It has the opening cinematic in widescreen, though.

Yeah, that's about it. And no, none of the additions from the PSP version are in there, from what I've noticed.

Top Bottom