• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFV Coming to Steam

Lex

Administrator

People are already shitting out children because of the art style. I couldn't care less, I think it looks pretty good. I mean OK it looks like something I made in RPGMaker, but it looks better than the original IMO so I'm not complaining.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It seems to be a port of the existing mobile port. I don't mind the graphics but the interface (screenshots here), which was designed for touchscreens, looks pretty bad. Also, I noticed the video uses "Butz" in its graphics but then "Bartz" in-game - have Square Enix really not made their minds up yet? :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't know if I'm shitting children over it, but I am still not a fan of the art at all. Why are the colors so oversaturated? And the sprites seem separated from everything else. It might look better than the original, but the GBA version looks far superior. And that's ridiculous.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Yeah I got the PSP version which is really the Anthology Version and that's plenty good for me. As for the art style, I find it jarring. I tend to be a purist when it comes to graphics for the older games. Sure if you want to do an HD remastering of like the PSOne / PS2 era games I'm okay with that, but even then I still prefer the original art style.

Especially when it comes to the sprite games. Call it blind nostalgia, but I think the sprite art has a charm to it.

Lex

Administrator
The gameplay isn't any different so I don't think liking one version over another is hurting anybody :)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think FF4 Complete on PSP looks gorgeous. I don't know why they couldn't have just gone with that. And 6 looks even worse than 5.

Lex

Administrator
I think FF4 Complete on PSP looks gorgeous. I don't know why they couldn't have just gone with that. And 6 looks even worse than 5.

I think it's because I came late to the SNES games, but I honestly don't see what people are talking about with this art style thing, about it being bland etc. To me it's nicer? Not trying to start a version war or something (lol), I just don't see the general problem with the graphics. The only thing I can honestly say is that from that trailer the background colours look generally washed out to me, but that is the complete opposite of your opinion of them being oversaturated. So I don't know what's going on with my eyesight or whatever XD.

I also agree with Flint that the interface is ugly. And IV on the PSP really does look great.

EDIT: I should probably add that FFV is one of my favourite games ever, not that that should make a difference.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
WEll maybe I'm wrong in saying oversaturated, I dunno. But, can you see the difference as compared to FFIV Complete?

screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection012.jpg

See how detailed the sprites are? All the parts of Edward's outfit and everything.

mzl.sbjsynlx.jpg

This is just so bleh by comparison. And (especially in VI) it just doesn't look to me like the sprites are even in the world. They look to me like they're on top of it. Like a kid drew them on with a fat marker or something after the fact, haha. The Advance version is my favorite, and although they're blockier, they seem to fit the environments better.

If the next TLS playthrough is FFV, I may still very well pick this up. But I'm disappointed they wouldn't go with the very good thing they had going with FFIV Complete.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yeah I don't like the art style either. I don't know, too clean, kinda soulless. Sprites kind of look like someone just threw a shitty softening filter on top of them

Lex

Administrator
^I mean yeah I'm really starting to think that the problem for some people is just that you can't see pixels so it doesn't feel like sprites and stuff anymore. It does seem a bit too smooth for those games, I just think it looks nice anyway XD.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The sprites don't really blend with the background. The buildings kinda remind me of golden sun though. It seems part of the problem might be that the colours are too solid on the sprites of the ios version, making them look flat compared to the sprites in your other image.

Top Bottom