FFVI coming to Android & iOS

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Square Enix will be releasing a modified version of the beloved Final Fantasy VI, originally released in North America in 1994 as Final Fantasy III, this winter for iOS and Android, long-time Square director and producer Takashi Tokita told Kotaku today. The game won't be a straight port.

"It is basically like a remake of the original VI," Tokita said as he proudly revealed his surprise at the end of a presentation about the recent smartphone release of FFV and the upcoming mobile release of FFIV: The After Years. "But there have been some enhancements."

"The battle systems have been altered for the other [mobile remakes] for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same. For instance grinding was an issue and people had to spend a lot of time leveling up. Now on the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is."

The graphics, he said, will be refined for cellphones. They'll still be 2D but sharpened, a la the recent mobile release of V.

The next release in the Legacy series will be a mobile port of Final Fantasy: The After Years, which was originally released on phones in Japan and as a downloadable game for the Wii in the U.S. The mobile release is a 3D remake of the original release.10P

The Legacy series won't necessarily end with VI, Tokita said, when we asked him if it could include VII, VIII, IX, X and beyond. "We are aware that we have tons of VII fans," he noted. "We have VII fans in our own company. If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with VII."

Sauce

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
"It is basically like a remake of the original VI,"

Except with microtransactions? :awesome:

I'd get it. I just hope they don't make it a (for iOS standards) fucking expensive €16 game. Actually that reminds me, I shelled that out for FFV and never really played it, :wacky:.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Depending on the price, I may get this. VI is, after all, my favourite in the series.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Really looking forward to getting this. Have enjoyed IV and the After Years so far on Android, and been meaning to do a proper play through of VI for ages.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Oh man... well there's another thing to add to my phone that will continue to destroy my productivity. FF6 was the first Final Fantasy I played, (back when it was III, on the SNES). Such an amazing game. Probably the only one out there that universally gives 7 a run for its money on "best Final Fantasy ever" status.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
You guys must have way better phones than me.

My battery drained like a b1tch trying to play the FF1 version.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I JUST SAW THE SCREENSHOTS FOR THE ANDROID PORT

ku-medium.gif

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
How the hell did they mess it up this badly? From the previews it looked like it would be a pretty competent remake with no graphical anomalies. If Square Enix can't even manage a competent re-release of one of their old games, what possible hope is there for new titles from them?

FFVI Android image gallery & review

From what this person shows and tells...I'm actually positively impressed. This port doesn't look nearly as bad or lazy as I thought it would. There has been effort in changing the battle menus, character portraits still look good etc.

You can clearly see of course how the sprites are inspired by Lemmings-artwork. Still think that was a bad choice, but aside from that I can't really hate on this port just for being "different".

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
That's a very good link that does highlight how good the port is to actually play.

The graphics are rather generic, but I can forgive that because they do breathe a fresh coat of paint onto the game, and scenery in particular does benefit from it, even if the sprites are a downgrade. The world looks lush. The new battle HUD feels a little gimmicky, but it does make battles a lot easier to manage, and the music sounds ace in this.

The only major problem I have with this version is not having a fit to screen option. Seriously. With the vast array of mobile phone screen sizes out in the market nowadays, this option should be standard. I should not be forced to stare at big black borders on either side of the game screen. I should have the option to widescreen it if that is what I so prefer or choose to experience the game as, especially with the new graphics slapped onto it which would have easily accommodated this and not make it look too stretched out in such a mode.

Hopefully they remedy this in a future update.

But aside from that though, an excellent update / remake so far.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The problem isn't that any individual element of the graphics looks terrible in and of itself; it's that the art styles clash horribly. Figaro is a super-detailed model, which looks like utter shite next to the sprite of Locke which looks like they just took the smudge tool in Photoshop and called it a day. The character sprites are definitely the worst part of the game; they have way less detail than anything else on the screen. The enemies and backgrounds are okay as individual elements, but the styles still don't go very well together. They also washed out some of the detail in making everything brighter, but that's almost to be expected on a cell phone port since they have to compensate for the fact that people are going to be playing the game in broad daylight.

Someone posted this as a comment on Kotaku and I can't emphasize how much better it would have looked:

46920_littlestfurman_kefka-final-battle-hd.png

The character sprites actually have more detail than they did in the original and none of the art styles conflict with one another.

There are a few new features that look like improvements; Cyan's Bushido in particular looks like it will finally actually not completely suck. But on the whole I don't regard this as an improvement.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The sprites are definitely the worst part of the game.

Someone posted this as a comment on Kotaku and I can't emphasize how much better it would have looked:

littlestfurman_kefka-final-battle-hd.png

The character sprites actually have more detail than they did in the original and none of the art styles conflict with one another.

That does look REALLY good.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I like the battle menu revamps, some of the graphics look lovely and I'm sure the music is great but that's not enough to convince me, unfortunately having to see a spelling error within the first few moments of dialogue and horrible sprites has ruined any hope I had for this to be a successful revamp, honestly how could they be so careless with the translations?

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
http://kotaku.com/major-glitch-makes-final-fantasy-vi-unbeatable-on-andro-1505100344

:monster:

To be fair FFVI already had plenty of glitches and things with the original code/game anyway. If they had to work with that code while doing the updated versions mistakes wouldn't/don't surprise me *imagines new dev team trying to get through that minefield* and being like wow this is far out ... wait how did I get the airship outside Narsh :aah: :faint: And things :pinkmonster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
So not only does it look like crap but it's also unwinnable. Great job Square Enix! :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
yeah, i'm not feeling the sprites they're using with this and ffv

is this a new translation/localisation? given that they managed to misspell a word within the first few minutes. i mean, they must have like 4 scripts at this point

Top Bottom