FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Whoa. Been playing this game since it came out and seeing this for the first time. A Protoss pylon? In my Ancient City? How’d it get there?

And that sound is nightmare fuel. I hope Aerith didn’t hear that all day long.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I just noticed that the layout of Kalm is different in the ending fmv. The Inn is next to the house that Marlene is in, and all the houses are on white pavement that isn't there in game. There's also a path leading behind where the inn normally is.

4:36:

I also didn't know that you can enter that house...but the interior is different. It's the room where you find Peacemaker, interact with the light on the floor:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm going through the flevel.lgp right now, you know, just a saucy lil' weekend at home. Found something interesting - the anfrst fields (aka the Ancient Forest that you can access via green/black/gold chocobo or after defeating Ultima Weapon) was placed in the game between the slfrst fields (the Sleeping Forest) and the sango fields (the Corral Valley). The reason I mention this is because the field data in flevel.lgp appears in clusters, with the side dungeons clustered together before plot content, after which point the fields are listed in order of appearance. To me, this could indicate that the Ancient Forest was originally intended as an extended middle segment of the Sleeping Forest dungeon, and then was changed to side content late in development. Not a sure thing, but I think it counts as what-the-fuckery :)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I've been suspecting that for years. I think it was actually going to be required to go through before reaching the sango maps.

The last map of the ancient forest is this cave:
1695461526130.png

and on Sango1 there's this inaccessible cave on a cliff:

1695461581716.png

I believe these were originally connected.

The ancient forest also has an unused enemy encounter with a Ho-Chu that I think probably would have served as the area's boss when it was still connected to the sleeping forest.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Oh dang, I remember way back in the early internet days there was so much speculation about that inaccessible cave on the approach to the Forgotten City. What you two both said makes such perfect sense. I wonder what made them decide to shorten(/remove) the Sleeping Forest dungeon.

Fascinating.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The only hole in the idea is that, if the ancient forest cave would have originally exited out there, then what was the bottom path for? I guess they could have added it after the fact to compensate.

As for why it was moved to its own side area, I guess maybe they didn't want to bog the player down with a random puzzle dungeon thing while they're worried about Aerith after the ToA.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Will be interesting to see how they handle this area in the Remake project. Fingers crossed for related expansions.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I discovered that the meeting room has like, a ton of unused background settings.

There's a fax machine that can print a document

And as you can see, the table which is normally empty, also has a setting to have a bunch of stuff on it.

The screen in the back also has a setting to display the world map on it, and hidden in the background layers is a big image of the map. I think it would have looked like this:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I used to think that they were holding rifles, turns out they are using the animation that soldiers use to have their hands behind their backs, but these models use a different skeleton so it's corrupt. It's the same as Vincent in the Forgotten CIty.

What's weirder is they appear to be wearing capes that face in the wrong direction.

I see in the replies you already covered it.:mon:

I wonder where that model would have been used though if they were meant to be the red security guards?

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'd long suspected there was supposed to be a puzzle here but only tonight did I finally check lol

I added all the animations and stuff, it wasn't just sitting there finished but dummied out, but the pieces were mostly there.

Very cool. Lots of people have memories of being stuck there, not realizing you could walk on that beam. Having it actually move would have made that a lot clearer, I think. I wonder why they gave up on it/cut it?

Top Bottom