FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
At least "Melodies of Life" is amazing in FFIX, anyway. I think I'm happy the original FF7 avoided a pop ballad though.

It's the *one* aspect of FF (but really JRGPs) that you can't argue away as innocent shmaltz. I'll give Square credit for actively integrating the first two into the actual storyline of FFVIII and IX respectively, though.

I'm conflicted, mainly because Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life and Suteki Da Ne are all songs that I love, but that love is directly caused (not correlated) by my love of the games and the memories I have of them. If Eyes on Me was a random pop song that had no affiliation with FFVIII, I would just think it's sappy trash.

So how do I reconcile that with the fact that all of these songs are songs that I listen to, like, a lot, and have the ability to make me tear up? I guess it speaks to the power of the games more than anything else. But I will be the first to admit, "insert generic pop song with lyrics *here* because we have to" is not a terribly creative choice to make. It's the definition of derivative. I guarantee you they will put another one in there for Part II, and I just hope that Uematsu is the guy who composes it. As was said already, Hollow wasn't a great song but it was *good* and fit well with the end credits. The version you hear when walking around with Aerith was great, though. Really nailed home the feeling of walking around those dirty ass slums.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I wish I liked FFXV more than I did, because I am a giant Florence and the Machine stan and I was surprised/pleased they got her for the obligatory pop song for that game.

Anyways I liked Hollow for Remake a lot. Save for the dude's vocals, they sounded hella dadrock dated. Then again, a typical grunge vocal is pretty appropriate for FF7, so I don't hate it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So how do I reconcile that with the fact that all of these songs are songs that I listen to, like, a lot, and have the ability to make me tear up? I guess it speaks to the power of the games more than anything else.

How would you feel about other components of the game's design if you had encountered them separately from the context of the game, though? Some folks who love the game don't necessarily love 90s anime sensibilities or turn-based combat.

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
How would you feel about other components of the game's design if you had encountered them separately from the context of the game, though? Some folks who love the game don't necessarily love 90s anime sensibilities or turn-based combat.

Hmm, that's a good question. It's so hard to view each aspect in isolation, mainly because they were all introduced to me at the same time through FFVII back in 97. This may not be accurate to others, but it feels like those Final Fantasy games have a unique design aesthetic, inspired by anime but never fully plunging into overt anime tropes. I feel they are "Final Fantasy" first, and anime/turn based/sappy pop songs collection second.

I don't mind anime. In fact, there's a bunch I like; Samurai Champloo is one of my favorite shows ever, but even that isn't overt anime stuff. A show like Seven Deadly Sins or Dragon Ball to me is just... no.

And in terms of turn based combat, FFVII single handedly turned me into a fan, but like the series itself I feel like I have evolved as well. I wouldn't want to play a big budget, AAA game with turn based combat. But in a game where it fits the design aesthetic, absolutely. Something like I Am Sestuna or the upcoming Eiyuden Chronicles, hell yeah.

I, uh, hope I answered your question. :P

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
... (views trailer)

...Ok take my money.

Edit: But more than that, I guess this is SE's way of saying "Oh right uh, the episodic thing is bugging people, sorry about that. Here's the WHOLE SHEBANG, now we can do our episodic AAA thing over here and everybodyshappywhaddayasay"

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
... (views trailer)

...Ok take my money.

Edit: But more than that, I guess this is SE's way of saying "Oh right uh, the episodic thing is bugging people, sorry about that. Here's the WHOLE SHEBANG, now we can do our episodic AAA thing over here and everybodyshappywhaddayasay"
I think Ever Crisis is episodic though? Either way, I don’t know if there’s enough people still hung up over Remake being split into parts to matter much since each “episode” is a full game in itself anyways so I don’t know if “episodic” is even the right way to describe Remake

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You mean the Pocket Edition?

Pocket Edition had you pay for chapters, and then they re-released it all together.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I guess the (hopefully) inevitable Console/PC port will still keep the Gacha Elements?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Learning that there'll be micro-transactions has cooled me off a bit. I was hoping it'd be like FFXV Pocket Edition where you either pay for chapters or buy the whole game upfront. Hopefully Ever Crisis takes inspiration from Dissidia Opera Omnia, which I'm told has generally acceptable micro-transactions, but I dislike the very nature of them.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
If the game rewards the player enough to make the 1-3 casual pulls of the week, and it makes the main content viable to be completed without extra perks, it's not a problem.

Gacha games can become one if you are the impulsive collector that needs to have everything, otherwise it's just a side feature.

Top Bottom