SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 17 Spoiler Discussion

Magos-Dominus

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Magos
Yeah, the beast shapes formed from the lifestream are likely summons, given that they're intemingled with colorful spheres, which are definitely materia. I'd say that's Bahamut in the center, and the one curling below the sun with a materia in its mouth is Leviathan, but I don't recognize the unicorn wolf on the left. The serpent is definitely JENOVA, especially with it being a shadow of the red comet, which is either Meteor or JENOVA falling from the sky. It being formed from negative space and the serpent as a consumer and symbol of evil makes that more explicit. I'd lean towards the latter, given that most of the inspiration for this mural is, or the mural is inspiration for, the depiction of the ancients in the Shin-Ra Museum, but the inclusion of what is obviously a reference to Wutai and Cosmo Canyon muddles a strict interpretation.

The rest of it feels like fairly standard Ancient/Aerith/Nature symbolism. Flowers, butterflies, lifestream, the Planet, farm animals, marine life, depictions of the ancients, but the 'owl?' in front of the moon on its own to the right seems disconnected, as well as the more child-like drawing near the bottom. The left-most of those looks like a cruder depiction of Aerith with friends, who would be imaginary or wished for at this point, and the one of the girl in the center is distinctly not Aerith or Ifalna, given that she lacks the trademark hairstyles or green eyes. Given the waist-length brown hair, brown eyes, and blue clothing, my gut wants to say its a young Tifa in the wilds around Nibelhiem, if I had to say anything, but that feels out of place. The environment is different from the rest of the mural, at the very least, as its not filled in, which could signal a sparser, less idyllic locale or it being nighttime. There are definitely a trio of barking dogs, though.

You know the fandom has gotten to the tin foil hat stage when we're reverse engineering possible visions of the future from an eight year old girl's bored, daytime scribbles.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah, the beast shapes formed from the lifestream are likely summons, given that they're intemingled with colorful spheres, which are definitely materia. I'd say that's Bahamut in the center, and the one curling below the sun with a materia in its mouth is Leviathan, but I don't recognize the unicorn wolf on the left. The serpent is definitely JENOVA, especially with it being a shadow of the red comet, which is either Meteor or JENOVA falling from the sky. It being formed from negative space and the serpent as a consumer and symbol of evil makes that more explicit. I'd lean towards the latter, given that most of the inspiration for this mural is, or the mural is inspiration for, the depiction of the ancients in the Shin-Ra Museum, but the inclusion of what is obviously a reference to Wutai and Cosmo Canyon muddles a strict interpretation.

The rest of it feels like fairly standard Ancient/Aerith/Nature symbolism. Flowers, butterflies, lifestream, the Planet, farm animals, marine life, depictions of the ancients, but the 'owl?' in front of the moon on its own to the right seems disconnected, as well as the more child-like drawing near the bottom. The left-most of those looks like a cruder depiction of Aerith with friends, who would be imaginary or wished for at this point, and the one of the girl in the center is distinctly not Aerith or Ifalna, given that she lacks the trademark hairstyles or green eyes. Given the waist-length brown hair, brown eyes, and blue clothing, my gut wants to say its a young Tifa in the wilds around Nibelhiem, if I had to say anything, but that feels out of place. The environment is different from the rest of the mural, at the very least, as its not filled in, which could signal a sparser, less idyllic locale or it being nighttime. There are definitely a trio of barking dogs, though.

You know the fandom has gotten to the tin foil hat stage when we're reverse engineering possible visions of the future from an eight year old girl's bored, daytime scribbles.
I think Phoenix is the one in the center (only because Leviathan has been made a deity of Wutai. I think Phoenix could be made as the central deity.) But, I'm definitely not against it being Bahamut.

I didn't think about the shadow one being Jenova. That would definitely make sense, especially with it being right next to what looks like meteor coming down.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Oh yes it was posted here, but I can't remember where. I stared at it a few times and there was a discussion around it too, but it was in another thread (probably the Monster aka ch18 thread or the spoiler thread... IDK anymore, sorry).

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Is there a full clear screenshot yet of the mural in Aerith's room in the Shinra building yet? I've been wanting to be able to see the whole thing in a still image for a few days now.

Oh yes it was posted here, but I can't remember where. I stared at it a few times and there was a discussion around it too, but it was in another thread (probably the Monster aka ch18 thread or the spoiler thread... IDK anymore, sorry).

Yep, @Shademp posted it a few days ago:

While my scanner may not be the best, at least I can provide some good zoom-in pictures of the painting by Ifalna and Aerith.

From FFVIIR World Preview:
- Page 118
- Page 128

After being able to control Tifa for so much of this chapter, I have finally realised that her model, when running, runs in exactly the same way as her blocky sprite in the OG. It's something about her elbows and fists and the way she tips her torso forwards.

Took me long enough to see it!

From time to time I've seen Cloud and Barret look identifical to their OG incarnations, too.

It fills me with hope for Cid. His running style was so unique and funny.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
I'm still level 37 or 38, even after finishing this chapter... :hohum:

I liked it overall, as much as I liked the whole Shinra section overall. There are flaws, but they've been mentioned so often already. ^_^
They did a good job changing the plot so you still get to fight the bosses in the same constellations. I kinda wish they had kept the imprisonment (and the elevator fight), though. Would have felt so much more like the original, but I guess we already get enough of OG content...
I'm a bit nitpicky, but sometimes I wish the game had a bit less cinematic elements.

I liked to see old enemies (though I can never bother to remember their names) in their new 4k glory and fighting them was so much fun! They were hard, but not too hard, so even I could beat them all, with my comparably low level and no real battle tactics)! Even Rufus, though I must admit, he was the most pain in the ass! I still love him!

They really indulge in that Tifa/Aerith friendship, don't they? I bet their shippers are all having a party. :lol: (I'm still in the CloTi ship and I loved the scene where Tifa rescues Cloud!)

Now there's only one chapter left, isn't there... :( Had to stop in the middle of the chase today, it just dragged on too long. (Still fun and love and nostalgia and everything!)

Sasseli

I don't wanna open the Chapter 18 Thread yet, but I gotta know!!

How the %&!?§" ****** %&!?§" do you defeat this *** OF A *** Motorball??? I've tried 6 times in a row now and I'm about to throw my controller against a wall!!! :rage:

Did I say anything about Rufus being nerve-racking?If so, I'll take it all bacK! What does the camera do to me?? Why is it so often that I cant reach the goddamn *****?? Why can't I heal?? Why am I so bad at this?? Every other boss was a joke against this monstrosity of a fight!

I want to finish this game! Why the last battle have to be such an arse?? :'(

And if I give up now and try again tomorrow, I'll have to go through all the glory that is the motorcycle chase again... and again... and again...

Sorry for the language.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I should replay this chapter just to watch my HP and see if I can figure out what's giving people problems.

Accelerate up to his left side (which is opposite the truck), attack the wheels. Anytime he lifts those left wheels into the air, swerve to the far side of the highway. (Given the camera orientation you probably are using at the moment, that will be pulling the stick towards 8 o'clock or so). Then when he slams his wheels down, swerve back in and resume. If you get all the wheels, you can swing around to the side where the truck is, but I found he usually spun his wheels around when I did that and put my targets back on the outside.
If you see flames at his midsection. Hit the brakes and swerve away. If he starts charging that big laser attack, again slam the brakes.
When he's staggered, use your Spin Attack. If he accelerates ahead, use your long range attack, which will hit several wheels at once.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't wanna open the Chapter 18 Thread yet, but I gotta know!!

How the %&!?§" ****** %&!?§" do you defeat this *** OF A *** Motorball??? I've tried 6 times in a row now and I'm about to throw my controller against a wall!!! :rage:

Did I say anything about Rufus being nerve-racking?If so, I'll take it all bacK! What does the camera do to me?? Why is it so often that I cant reach the goddamn *****?? Why can't I heal?? Why am I so bad at this?? Every other boss was a joke against this monstrosity of a fight!

I want to finish this game! Why the last battle have to be such an arse?? :'(

And if I give up now and try again tomorrow, I'll have to go through all the glory that is the motorcycle chase again... and again... and again...

If it's too much, switch to Easy Mode :monster: It's not worth the stress.

To avoid the electric mines it spams hug the rail on the side. Even though it sounds like you're grinding your back and creating sparks, your HP does not go down.

Guard the gunshots Motorball fires at you. A lot of people neglect to guard. You have to.

Guard when it stomps its wheels. Or avoid the attack entirely.

Take out the wheels quick. Spinning Edge is a great move to take out 3 wheels at once.

When staggered, do not waste the opportunity to pour on the pain. Hit it nonstop as much as you can.

Then when it's no longer staggered, hit the breaks. Get away from it, and because it retaliates with its flamethrower or trying to fire it's massive laser.

When it's below half help it'll fire that laser down the middle of the highway. Avoid that spot and don't get hit.

Hope that helps!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I guess I just don't understand. I got the trophy in two tries on normal and practically no damaged Roche. All of his attacks are super telegraphed and easy to avoid. Meanwhile Motorball wrecked me. I just find the dissonance surrounding this really interesting.

Sasseli

Who would've guessed! Just now I defeated him! :D

Thanks ya'll for the tips! This was literally the worst and most stressful fight in the entire game for me! Glad that's over now! :faint:

Now the last Chapter really starts... but I'll have to leave that for tomorrow! After that I'll finally be able to join all the discussions and spoiler threads! Halleluja!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Who would've guessed! Just now I defeated him! :D

Thanks ya'll for the tips! This was literally the worst and most stressful fight in the entire game for me! Glad that's over now! :faint:

Now the last Chapter really starts... but I'll have to leave that for tomorrow! After that I'll finally be able to join all the discussions and spoiler threads! Halleluja!
Good luck! if you decide to actually read the whole chapter 18 thread after you beat it, get ready for a trip and a half lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The lightning bolts don't seem telegraphed at all to me, lol. They just strike right in front of you repeatedly. I find Motoball's attacks to be super telegrpahed: holding his wheels up in the air for a few days before bringing them down, charging hte big beam, etc. :lol:
Just weave left and right to avoid the lightning. It appears a little in front of you at timed intervals, as long as you keep in motion it will never hit you.

Top Bottom