SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 2 Spoiler Discussion

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
So, fuck it, I watched the Max video describing all the Chapter 2 stuff. I'm actually...you know, kinda down with the idea of Sephiroth being some weirdo mental ghost that taunts Cloud a bunch.

So thinking about it from the perspective of a new player: there are hints at weird glitchy moments from our Cool Dude hero. Something's up with him. We know he has a history with the villains, and that he left the military for whatever reason...then, as things burn around him after the bombing mission, we see snippets of another place, a traumatic moment, and this guy who taunts him about various things (including his failure to save others).

It's obviously very different from the original, both in terms of Seffy's presence but also in terms of the entire vibe and mood of that part of the game, but what works about it for me is that it allows Sephiroth to be seen more often in the game while still building his mystique and still allowing for an "oh shit" moment when he turns up for realsies. Because in this specific context, he's not really THERE there - he's a part of the protagonist's trauma, and hint at his backstory, a psychological threat...until suddenly he's a much more tangible one.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
So, fuck it, I watched the Max video describing all the Chapter 2 stuff. I'm actually...you know, kinda down with the idea of Sephiroth being some weirdo mental ghost that taunts Cloud a bunch.

So thinking about it from the perspective of a new player: there are hints at weird glitchy moments from our Cool Dude hero. Something's up with him. We know he has a history with the villains, and that he left the military for whatever reason...then, as things burn around him after the bombing mission, we see snippets of another place, a traumatic moment, and this guy who taunts him about various things (including his failure to save others).

It's obviously very different from the original, both in terms of Seffy's presence but also in terms of the entire vibe and mood of that part of the game, but what works about it for me is that it allows Sephiroth to be seen more often in the game while still building his mystique and still allowing for an "oh shit" moment when he turns up for realsies. Because in this specific context, he's not really THERE there - he's a part of the protagonist's trauma, and hint at his backstory, a psychological threat...until suddenly he's a much more tangible one.
I know right! When I watched that video and heard max say stuff about that I was like cool!! Like I was so hyped! Square like said hey sephiroth is a big problem but let us make him that even more by having him mind rape cloud early in the story instead of later and show in remake to new and old players alike just how big a threat he is by introducing him immediately in beginning via visions cloud has via crazy PTSD like deal cloud has.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It sucks even more for compassionate people that don't really believe in "the ends justify the means," in my opinion. You know you're wanting to do something positive for the world, and the last thing you want to do is harm anyone

Elisa Maza

Whomst
That's where Barret's and Tifa's arcs come in. That grey area is what pushes them (Barret especially) to leave Midgar and help the planet by chasing Sephiroth.

I watched Max's video as well and I have to say, some of my worries about Aerith's characterization were laid to rest. I was worried we're going to get that washed down, innocent maiden (blame the book by the same name for this) archetype, which Aerith was decidedly NOT, more so as part of the whole defying expectations FFVII did with its double heroines. Aerith looks the part of an innocent, shy, all-good magical girl and she's not. Max describing how cooky she is in her first meeting with Cloud made me sigh in relief; she's exactly as I wanted her to be.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
That's where Barret's and Tifa's arcs come in. That grey area is what pushes them (Barret especially) to leave Midgar and help the planet by chasing Sephiroth.

I watched Max's video as well and I have to say, some of my worries about Aerith's characterization were laid to rest. I was worried we're going to get that washed down, innocent maiden (blame the book by the same name for this) archetype, which Aerith was decidedly NOT, more so as part of the whole defying expectations FFVII did with its double heroines. Aerith looks the part of an innocent, shy, all-good magical girl and she's not. Max describing how cooky she is in her first meeting with Cloud made me sigh in relief; she's exactly as I wanted her to be.
Agreed she was that way in og but we never really saw her like that until crisis core same with cloud before all the mako experimentation and stuff. I loved the fact aerith is that way in remake boy just wait until church part lol

Reactions: LNK

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Been watching some Aussie streams, and l believe it can be confirmed now that Cloud does indeed receive the flower from Aerith (for free) no matter the dialogue choices. Even if you the most “negative” options Cloud still ends up with it no matter what.

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
Tbh I'm really not a fan of the increased focus on Sephiroth. I love the way the original game built up the mystery of him but the remake keeps shoving him in your face almost immediately after the bombing mission. Also those invisible enemies are weird, they kind of ruin the quieter moments of the game i.e when Cloud first met Aerith, and when Cloud enters the train, in OG FF7 this scene was used to build upon the relationship between Cloud and the rest of AVALANCHE but here they just start talking about the invisible enemies almost immediately. It'll be interesting to see how this goes as I keep playing.

On the plus side I'm satisfied with how they portrayed the cast, especially Cloud and Aerith who are closer to how they were portrayed in OG FF7 than the compilation (a huge positive) though Barret was a bit too over the top at times.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Only the second chapter and already things are going off rails :lol:
I have long made my peace with the increased Sephiroth presence. It is what it is.

The atmosphere in this chapter was great. All the people on the streets, rescue workers doing their jobs, constant loudspeaker announcements etc

Oh, and the new arrangement of the Promised Land from AC! VERY different from the original.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Saw it well most of it but for sake of not spoiling I am just gonna say that Tyler Hoechlin sephiroth is great! I mean oh God I have chills just watching sephiroth being his menacing self! I don't know if I can wait until tenth!? And the music on my God! Thank you square enix! Thank you nomura! Thank you! Chapter 2 is intense! I mean talk about fucking with cloud! And Jessie at beginning man love it

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Tbh I'm really not a fan of the increased focus on Sephiroth. I love the way the original game built up the mystery of him but the remake keeps shoving him in your face almost immediately after the bombing mission. Also those invisible enemies are weird, they kind of ruin the quieter moments of the game i.e when Cloud first met Aerith, and when Cloud enters the train, in OG FF7 this scene was used to build upon the relationship between Cloud and the rest of AVALANCHE but here they just start talking about the invisible enemies almost immediately. It'll be interesting to see how this goes as I keep playing.

On the plus side I'm satisfied with how they portrayed the cast, especially Cloud and Aerith who are closer to how they were portrayed in OG FF7 than the compilation (a huge positive) though Barret was a bit too over the top at times.
I mean, for newcomers, they are like "who td is this guy??". Its still mystery, but a different kind. He is by far the most shrouded in mystery character in this game, specially bc they show him a lot but dont explain anything (which is nice).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Saw it well most of it but for sake of not spoiling I am just gonna say that Tyler Hoechlin sephiroth is great! I mean oh God I have chills just watching sephiroth being his menacing self! I don't know if I can wait until tenth!? And the music on my God! Thank you square enix! Thank you nomura! Thank you! Chapter 2 is intense! I mean talk about fucking with cloud! And Jessie at beginning man love it
Yeah, while Hoechlin isn’t as menacing as Newbern IMO, I think Hoechlin does excel in in giving a lethal seductiveness to his delivery, which definitely fits with Sephiroth character type.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Yeah, while Hoechlin isn’t as menacing as Newbern IMO, I think Hoechlin does excel in in giving a lethal seductiveness to his delivery, which definitely fits with Sephiroth character type.
I agree! i will always love the originals but my god the new actors really do a excellent job in portraying the characters and Sephiroth's does give off that vibe lol as much as i love Darin De Paul as Ardyn he got nothing on Tyler Hoechlin Sephiroth.

I mean like holy shit! and in chapter 2 they really show that his height is menacing in itself! Sephiroth is 6'1" while Cloud is 5'7" and in those scenes it shows i love it!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm keeping a log of my thoughts after each chapter. Here's Chapter 2!
  • On to the post-demo stuff~ This was a big moment for me. I remember seeing the streets of Midgar in the PSX 2015 trailer and being blown away
  • There's so much detail when you're walking the streets. My eyesight was blurry as I didn't know what to focus on. Sensory overload
  • I like the design of the paramedic Shinra troops
  • Did a bunch of people get crushed by that collapsed highway?
  • Cloud just BUMPS into Sephiroth. What a way to introduce such an iconic villain in the present day. Haha, well, it definitely made Sephiroth look intimidating. Cloud was like a little boy compared to him
  • Sephiroth placing his hand on Aerith's shoulder as he walked by... Wow. I hate this guy with a whole new passion
  • Cloud does a good job keeping his cool and chatting about flowers after seeing so many freaky things. I'd probably duck out crying at that point
  • I sure do hope players realize that punisher mode has an accessible parry mechanic. The Huntsman might give some people a rough time otherwise
EDIT
  • Oh yeah and first hearing the new rendition of The Promised Land, it's like "This is familiar. I know that thing, I KNOW THAT THING."

Last edited:

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Spent so much time just loitering around people and eavesdropping on their conversations. Must resist urge to compile all npc dialogue! I'll never get through the game otherwise :P

Got into a bit of trouble by walking along the higher platform area near the station, just before you run into the Huntsman. Accidentally alerted all the guards in the area to come and attack me and was forced to run away to reset them to their original places.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Spent so much time just loitering around people and eavesdropping on their conversations. Must resist urge to compile all npc dialogue! I'll never get through the game otherwise :P

Got into a bit of trouble by walking along the higher platform area near the station, just before you run into the Huntsman. Accidentally alerted all the guards in the area to come and attack me and was forced to run away to reset them to their original places.
Lol oops we all done something in a game like that it is easy to do I am sure others messed up in this chapter as well...

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Holy hell, chapter 2 was lit!

I don't know how it's possible to not stop smiling for a full hour, but I managed it! Everything from the moment Cloud 'bumped' into Sephiroth when they lured you into thinking that the hallucination had ended, all the way through seeing so much of the Sector and it's damage, and through the epic escape with the rocking music and the grunt battles ... wow. That was incredible.

And then to keep that bit of humour with the Shinra employees on the train. God. So much care. So much love. This is beautiful.

Lex

Administrator
I really loved the rendition of The Promised Land that played through this chapter. I don't know how but I really feel like they recaptured the atmosphere of this part in the OG. In the OG this was a few screens, a buzzing electrical noise and atmospheric lights. Chapter 2 was all of that come to life ;-;

Top Bottom