SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 3 Spoiler Discussion

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just arrived in Sector 7 and man, the vibes. Midgar is the coolest fucking place in games ever, this solidifies it. IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

Also, Cloud's neighbor is a frickin Sephiroth copy. O.o
When he touched Cloud it seemed like there was a flash-forward? It very much looked like the Copies wandering through the Northern Crater. How the eff are we flashing forward

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It’s hard to tell if that supposed to be a “vision of the future”/Sephiroth intentions or if it’s just visions of what’s going on in the Norther Crater already in the present? (like there could already be Sephiroth copies there?)

Though does Cloud also have flashes of the Sector 7 plate dropping when he first arrives in the Slums (when he’s taking to the NPC who thinks Cloud is a Mako-junkie), or was that something else?

Also the amount of atmospheric/environmental chatter/dialogue is incredible, did FFXV even have that much?

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
Yeah the chatter subtitles were cluttering the screen so much I had to turn it off. Anyway I definitely did not expect AVALANCHE to not hire Cloud for the next bombing mission. Had some fun exploring the slums and killing rats for money and that's about it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
One thing I’ve noticed, due to Cloud’s integration into Avalanche being more developed, it doesn’t appear that he’s been allowed down into the secret headquarters bellow the pinball machine (since the most of the analogous scenes from that area in OG for the Remake take place in other locations). I’ve only skim-watched other playthroughs so maybe I am mistaken.
If I am not, I wonder if he ever gets to go down before the Plate drops. If he doesn’t, I wonder how much of the decision to not directly depict the room was for creative reasons versus cutting out extraneous rendering work?

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Yea, thats one thing I didnt exactly like, but understood with the new direction they took. Also, did he really saw the plate falling? Didnt catch that anywhere.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yea, thats one thing I didnt exactly like, but understood with the new direction they took. Also, did he really saw the plate falling? Didnt catch that anywhere.
He sees an explosion and stuff falling in his “flash vision” when he looks up at the bottom of the Sector 7 plate when listening to a pro-Shinra NPC. Then a Keeper floats always and the NPC assumes Cloud is a Mako-junkie.
You can see the scene at around the 10:39 mark in the below video

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
One thing I’ve noticed, due to Cloud’s integration into Avalanche being more developed, it doesn’t appear that he’s been allowed down into the secret headquarters bellow the pinball machine (since the most of the analogous scenes from that area in OG for the Remake take place in other locations). I’ve only skim-watched other playthroughs so maybe I am mistaken.
If I am not, I wonder if he ever gets to go down before the Plate drops. If he doesn’t, I wonder how much of the decision to not directly depict the room was for creative reasons versus cutting out extraneous rendering work?

No you're correct, in chapter 3 he's forced to wait in the bar while everyone else goes down below. You can listen to the jukebox and play darts before going back to waiting.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
No you're correct, in chapter 3 he's forced to wait in the bar while everyone else goes down below. You can listen to the jukebox and play darts before going back to waiting.
Yeah, I definitely know he doesn’t get access in Chapter 3. I was just also wondering if it’s maybe possible in any future chapters (that occur before the Plate drop) Cloud gets any opportunities to go down below?

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
He sees an explosion and stuff falling in his “flash vision” when he looks up at the bottom of the Sector 7 plate when listening to a pro-Shinra NPC. Then a Keeper floats always and the NPC assumes Cloud is a Mako-junkie.
You can see the scene at around the 10:39 mark in the below video
Ohhhh yeah. That actually makes total sense. I suppose these flashes are more suited to the oldcomers then? Cloud doesnt mention he is somehow "seeing the future" to someone, right?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Ohhhh yeah. That actually makes total sense. I suppose these flashes are more suited to the oldcomers then? Cloud doesnt mention he is somehow "seeing the future" to someone, right?
No, I think it’s largely just Sephiroth using the Keepers to discombobulate Cloud even more than he did in the OG.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
First thing I did in this chapter was take a slow walk tour through the entire sector, just soaking in the atmosphere. It's a garbage dump...but a kind of cozy one. :mon:
Love seeing all these new side characters, like the landlady. Should probably not get too attached to them though, eh?

Did all the available sidequests before moving on. Interesting that Cloud isn't allowed in the secret treehouse yet.
While everyone was downstairs I made two attempts at playing darts. Let's just say there was a dramatic improvement on the second try and I was very pleased with myself :wacky:
(audio is a bit shit because my mic was pointed away from me as I didn't plan to record :P)

Man, I love Tifa in this. Just. *swoon* What a sweetheart.
Jessie is such a cutie too.

Cloud almost iced Johnny, holy shit lol
Cold as hecc

I also noticed quite a few bad textures. I assume this is the type of stuff that usually gets fixed with day one patches. Interesting to play a game on ver 1.00 for once. Can't even sync my trophies yet!

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Did anyone have a choice whether to give the flower to Tifa or not? Cloud just straight up handed it over. Not a problem since I was going to do that anyway but was wondering if my dialogue choice with Aerith affected the scene.

nazhus

Rookie Adventurer
Absolutely loved this chapter, especially after chapter 2 which i didn't think was so great TBH. In the original game you obviously just have a top down view of the area and do not get a feel of the upper plate being above you, now it has all that depth. Loved all the NPC chatter making the place feel alive. Now i kinda understand the 2 blu ray disc thing, they have put a lot into this game for sure.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm keeping a log of my thoughts after each chapter. Here's Chapter 3!
  • I spy Kyrie in the train car
  • Jessie still explains the structure of Midgar to Cloud and how the train security works. Has Cloud.... never ridden on a Midgar train before? How did he get up to the plate then?
  • The couple outside the train, who talk about going somewhere alone, I finally understand the context of their conversation. Holy shit, it's been 15 years and I finally understand what they're talking about. He makes an advance, but she sidesteps with a suggestion to go to the Train Graveyard if they want to be alone, which successfully causes him to chicken out. I could not make that out in the original's translation. THIS IS SURREAL
  • Cloud looks to the pillar holding up Sector 7 and sees a vision of it exploding. A vision of the future. These Guardians are connected to time. I speculate that they'll give Cloud a vision of Aerith's death, possibly by the end of part one. If so, how will Cloud react? I think he'll try to fight against it, like any protagonist would. Saving Aerith, I think Square is moving in that direction, but only time will tell
  • Kyrie's name in the chat log is "???", plus she has a voice actor. Nice!
  • The doors at Cloud and Tifa's apartment building... why do they have such low resolution textures?
  • Funny that Cloud almost kills the cloaked man and seconds later Tifa asks Cloud to look after him
  • The Main Theme of FF7 plays as you get cozy with the Sector 7 slums. The main theme also played on the world map in the original. It's like they're trying to establish that this place is important. Maybe Sector 7 slums is to the remake what the world map is to the original. A place of worth protecting
  • Got emotional walking about the slums. Not like tears in my eyes, but like a sense of serenity. It was like being home
  • The menu to upgrade your weapons is oddly elaborate. It reminds me of XIII's crystarium, however in FF7R it's a bit out of place
  • Alright quests. First thing I did was help find some cats. That's gonna be used to tear down the remake somewhere, I know it
  • Nothing like completing one quest and immediately being told about another. A bit deflating. That's AAA game design bullshit #3
  • So Cloud and Tifa kill those Shinra grunts that kidnap Johnny. Tifa briefly shows remorse, but I suspect that's all we'll get on the topic. It's jarring to me that killing grunts doesn't leave the main characters with, like, night terrors. Those grunts are literally just people doing a job. Cloud was once a grunt, how does he not feel empathy for them? This has been a problem of mine with other FFs. It's not something the games properly acknowledge, yet the casts are meant to be relatable. Avalanche gets pretty caught up in the innocents that die due to their actions, but for some reason military personnel are left out of the equation. Sure it's kill or be killed, but to hardly value an enemy's life is psychopath behavior
  • I like that Johnny's reason for skipping town is rewritten. It establishes his character more too, being a loud mouth
  • The darts minigame is legit
  • That encounter with those thugs, very forgettable. They just had to end the chapter with some kind of fight. This is why I don't like the chapter structure. If this was one continuous story, I imagine Cloud would've just walked straight home, but you gotta have some sort of climax, even if the buildup is weak
EDIT: Corrected in next post

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
So Cloud and Tifa kill those Shinra grunts that kidnap Johnny. Tifa briefly shows remorse, but I suspect that's all we'll get on the topic. It's jarring to me that killing grunts doesn't leave the main characters with, like, night terrors. Those grunts are literally just people doing a job. Cloud was once a grunt, how does he not feel empathy for them? This has been a problem of mine with other FFs. It's not something the games properly acknowledge, yet the casts are meant to be relatable. Avalanche gets pretty caught up in the innocents that die due to their actions, but for some reason military personnel are left out of the equation. Sure it's kill or be killed, but to hardly value an enemy's life is psychopath behavior.
Um, you must have not been paying attention to that sequence then. Because the grunts aren’t killed, Tifa literally states they need to get out before they wake up. And the lines before that Tifa’s “No More” is telling Cloud that he shouldn’t finished the grunts off.
A95F06AD-757C-419F-ADA1-0C29F48E6B7C.png

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Re: the door textures, it looks like it's an LoD issue - the game is presumably meant to load in progressively higher resolution assets for models as the player gets closer to them, but for some reason it's busted on the doors. Hopefully this will see a fix in the launch day patch, these kind of things usually do afaik.

Couple of thoughts about the chapter:
- it's so bizarre seeing the slums lit by sunlight, in fact it's weird even just being able to visualise them as a proper 3D space
- Big fan of the Johnny section, Cloud accidentally scaring Marlene and the Alone at Last event, that's the kinda stuff I want from this game
- The sidequests are okay, they've tried their best to make them feel like a part of the world building but the actual quests themselves are a bit whatever.
- I want to drink a Cosmo Canyon

Last edited:
Top Bottom