• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 5 Spoiler Discussion

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
This chapter is pretty much just the start of the second bombing mission, getting on the train then running along the rails. Nothing new besides a battle with some of the mysterious invisible enemies, but we learn nothing new about them.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
This chapter feels like FFXIII. Literal tunnels and obvious Hamauzu music :awesome:

Finally getting to use three characters is dope. Battles occasionally feel overwhelming now but I guess that's what tactical mode is for.
I like how Tifa's hold square uppercut can be chained to the Divekick.

Not much going on here except traiiiiiiins

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
edit: One of the battle tracks here reminded me of "Arms of Shinra" from Dirge.

Oh and also, sexual tension

BnfNkIj.png

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm keeping a log of my thoughts after each chapter. Here's Chapter 5!
  • This chapter is way shorter and less eventful than the previous one. Speaking of which, I feel like the start and end points for some chapters are kinda odd. This chapter begins when the train departs, but to me it would've been more natural if it began when Cloud awoke to the Guardian's attack. However, since the game doesn't make a big deal about chapters, it's ultimately arbitrary
  • The Stamp graffiti that guides Avalanche is some good world building. I especially like when Barret calls out Shinra for using a cute mascot amongst their dubious agenda
  • Since this chapter is story-lite, I'll take this time to talk about the remake's battle system: I love it. It combines the strategic timing of FF13's paradigm shift with the chaotic battlefields of FF15. To elaborate, a player in FF7R will time ATB usage to either increase the stagger meter or dish out damage, similar to how paradigm shifting during the correct windows of opportunity was essential in FF13. FF7R also incorporates action elements through basic combos and free movement, similar to the pacing of fights in FF15. Continuing with the comparisons, FF7R's game balance is as rock solid and calculated as FF13's, but with the customization available to players in FF15. It takes the best of both worlds and combines them into what is, in my opinion, the greatest battle system Square has developed in over a decade

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The highlight of this chapter is definitely its core focus on incorporating our three heroes and their integration into the battle system. The system really shines more and more with every new layer that they add onto it, and the three working in tandem shows it off perfectly. Switching characters and using Tactical Mode to tackle various situations is just so much fun.

I also loved that they continued Tifa's story strand concerning her reluctance to fight by having her wanting to save / protect the Shinra manager, and Barret's false bravado as we watch him psyche himself up before jumping off of the train. Speaking of which, yes, that was quite the sexual tension going on there, lol.

Loved all the Heideggar scenes as well. You really don't want to piss him off.

Lex

Administrator
My take on this chapter is the same as Tets, the Hamauzu music is hella prominent and the fact that you're in a tunnel for all of it really feels like an ironic XIII reference lmao.

I will say though, I realised as I was playing that I would not have been bored had it continued for 50 years. You've got the OG trio bouncing off each other, engaging battles and cutscenes. I enjoyed it even though the scenery was pretty same-ey.

Total missed opportunity for some W-Item materia! lol I kept taking the wrong paths on purpose until it made me turn back. At the start you can run back for a bit and there's a little room off to the side but it only had Shinra boxes in it, I was so sure there would be something good hidden in there.

I can't overstate how much I enjoy the combat. It does feel frantic sometimes but that's part of the fun, and tactical mode helps take the edge off.

- I love it that everyone here (me included) is all like
"WE SEE YOU HAMAUZU :watchingu:"

- That "sexual tension" scene between Cloud and Tifa is one of the most expertly done versions of that stereotypical scene I can think of. It would have been so easy to have one or both act flustered and have it perfectly mimic the way this scene often plays out in fiction. But here in FFVIIR they actually showed subtlety and no exaggerated expressions. *applauds*

- There are certain nostalgic enjoyments that are hard to explain. They defy all logic. One of these examples would be the nostalgic euphoria of going the wrong way in the corkscrew/winding tunnels. Going the wrong way here in OG, both on disc 1 and disc 2, is one of those smaller parts of the FFVII experience that has buried itself close to my heart. Which is why I enjoyed every second of circling the long way around, from Section E back to Section C and onwards to Section E again, in FFVIIR. The developers knew what they were doing. The extended banter and reactions by the playable characters is proof enough.

Chapter 5 is supremely short...unless you play it like this. :monster:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Chapter 5 impressions!

A pretty straightforward chapter which is very much on track (Badum, tch!) with what's going on in the OG. Excellent execution IMO.
- Loved to see the Shinra Middle Manager again, how Cloud defuses the situation, and I really like the tiny dialogue between the Middle Manager and Tifa at the end.
- As Tets and Shademp mentioned, that scene between Cloud and Tifa after jumping from the train was expertly done. It's great they kept it very sober, without any of them getting all red-cheeked and flustered.
- I liked the plan of following Stamp's nose, it was a good world-building element to add.
- Spouse deliberately went the wrong way at some point to backtrack and see if there was some secret chest at the end of the tunnel (with Tifa and Barret protesting every 20 seconds lol). Eventually we went for a whole 360!
- So much fun with the combat system with 3 party members. Still not as good as I would like though! Namely, I wish to get better at using shortcuts and use menus as little as possible to make the fights seamless.
- Also, I haven't mentioned that much up to this point, but I absolutely love all the enemies in the remake. They're amazing re-creations of their OG counterparts. Perfect work there. I'm fanboying so much for every new enemy we encounter!
- I got completely caught off guard in the fight against the rocket launchers and the flamethrowing troopers. Got game-overed, to my shame.
- I destroyed the Krabby boss though. I was thinking of Crab Rave from Beat Saber during the fight (I'm on the top 100 on the Expert+ PSVR leaderboard on that one - that might explain).

jeronimus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mostly Simple
Agree with previous comments that it suddenly gets a bit overwhelming to have three party members and the battles suddenly felt a lot messier, but I started getting the hang of it eventually. Like, it almost felt like how playing the Demo for the first time felt.

And - I have to share it because the mental image made me crack up - imagine this Heidegger chucking one of the grunts into the ocean in Costa Del Sol...

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Loved that little Cloti ship tease. I also loved how Barret called Cloud "stamp" in the beginning of the game - it throws you into the world without explaining, until you eventually figure out what he was saying when you get home to the slums and people casually reference the "Stamp" propaganda dog.

Agree with previous comments that it suddenly gets a bit overwhelming to have three party members and the battles suddenly felt a lot messier, but I started getting the hang of it eventually. Like, it almost felt like how playing the Demo for the first time felt.

Yes, I definitely think that was SE's way of saying: you think you're good at the battle system? Let me really throw you into the fire (literally). Working on getting my hotkeys in order.

And - I have to share it because the mental image made me crack up - imagine this Heidegger chucking one of the grunts into the ocean in Costa Del Sol...

That scene always makes me bust up laughing. I think it was a combination between the bad graphics and the abruptness of the scene. I wonder if it'll be comical this time around, or played just plain fucked up.

I also can't wait for Rufus to tear Heidegger and his Stupid Horse Laugh™ to shreds in the second game.

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
One neat detail I noticed: I couldn't confirm if this happened all the time, but it seemed like enemies groups were typically placed close to the branching doors that led to chests and such along the tunnel in this chapter. Not only does that make sense, but it also helps indicate the presence of the branches, which I found kinda easy to visually miss because we were traveling along the inner curve of the tunnel.

Top Bottom