SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 9 Spoiler Discussion

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Cloud and Aerith’s playground conversations was interesting. If wasn’t clear before, that chat really hammers in how Cloud’s messed up psyche (+Jenova cells) is literally blocking out any information that could indicate the truth to him, including his auditory processing. As in this version of the conversation it’s implied that Aerith directly tells Cloud that her past love was Zack Fair (similar to how the Shinra grunt in Chapter 2 recognizes Zack’s Buster Sword).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It also seems like Aerith is far more aware that Cloud is related to Zack in some way. As she says she knew he was First Class just by looking at his sword. So perhaps she also has ulterior motives of figuring out what happened to Zack. Though at the same time you can she is kind of conflicted as she doesn’t want to dwell/be stuck in the past.

Another neat thing is that Aerith definitely knows the Turks like Reno and Rude much more intimately in the Remake. As her language with them implies much more familiarity and regular relationship with them.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
That's nice to hear. One of the things that always... stuck out to me as being weird about Aerith in the OG was that she seemed to take a "maybe, maybe not" stance towards figuring out what happened in the past with her boyfriend vs making a new relationship with Cloud. It felt very odd to see her be so indecisive about it compared to how she usually acted. Which... might have had something to do with the game creators not knowing what her relationship to Zack was at the time!

It didn't help either that Aerith in the OG never did get to know who Cloud was without Sephrioth messing with his head either. I don't want to say it sometimes felt (in hindsight) that she was falling in love with a lie, but it did feel like she was falling in love with something that wasn't really there. And feeling like she was one more person contributing to Cloud's idealized version of himself always left a bad taste in my mouth.

One of the things I'm finding I like from looking at the spoilers is how the story has doubled down on being clear about the character's motivations. There seems to be a lot less ambiguity when it comes to why characters are doing things. At least when the characters aren't Cloud anyway!

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah it is (relatively) a lot less ambiguous when it comes to interpreting the character writing. Though part of that admittedly just comes from having voice acting and high fidelity character designs/animation capable of body language and facial expressions.

Another thing that interested me that’s a new addition, is right after Chapter 9 starts and Aerith starts leading Cloud back to the Sector 7 Slums Cloud has another of his glitches but this time, he doesn’t really “see” anything but instead involuntary starts shedding tears. I wonder what that is meant to signify? Maybe him “feeling” Zack’s past emotions/memories towards Aerith?

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
My best guess would be that's significant towards Cloud's overall reaction towards Zack, really. Since his "glitch" didn't really give him the chance to feel/know about Zack in that conversation, truly inside, he still has an involuntary reaction that reflects his inner self. After what happens, I'd imagine he'd want to lament after talking about Zack. -shrug-

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah but the glitch with the tear/crying occurs separately well before the playground conversation where Aerith mentions Zack’s name. The one at the very beginning of Chapter 9 is just Cloud staring at Aerith from behind after he tells her to “Lead on.” and she says “With Pleasure”. That’s why I am wondering if it has some additional significance.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah but the glitch with the tear/crying occurs separately well before the playground conversation where Aerith mentions Zack’s name. The one at the very beginning of Chapter 9 is just Cloud staring at Aerith from behind after he tells her to “Lead on.” and she says “With Pleasure”. That’s why I am wondering if it has some additional significance.
I think you have your answer.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Another interesting bit of delayed player choice in this chapter that the outfit Tifa wears to Don Corneo’s can vary based on the answer you gave Tifa back in Chapter 3 on what type of outfit she should wear when she suggested and Cloud and her go out to dinner. Looks like the mature answer gives the default purple dress, while the sporty answer gives a Chun-Li hair style outfit, and the exotic answer gives a Kimono style outfit.

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
Thinking about it further (and having watched the scene again), I actually think Cloud crying might be a reference to Aerith leaving to perform Holy and eventually, her death. Just using the context of the scene in what it potentially mirrors (from her bold actions to her moving forward without him), not to mention, IIRC, that is the only time Cloud as he is cries. It's very subtle and inadvertent, but given what's happening, I think it might apply a bit more, perhaps.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I'm watching a playthrough, and the three bandits crack me up. They're incredibly silly. :lol:

Editing this to mention that I'm SO glad they included Don Corneo taking photos of his "bride". It was a moment in The Kids Are Alright that stood out to me. Creepy dude keeping photos of his women of the night.

Also, the friendship between Tifa and Aerith is a thing of beauty. Seeing them beat up Corneo's lackeys is such a treat.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah, it definitely was funny to see how Don Corneo having photos of Cloud in the Turks novella was actually explained in the Remake. I never would have expected that the Turks novella would arguably be the most referenced Compilation entry in the first Remake installment.

pollenainne

Pro Adventurer
Thinking about it further (and having watched the scene again), I actually think Cloud crying might be a reference to Aerith leaving to perform Holy and eventually, her death. Just using the context of the scene in what it potentially mirrors (from her bold actions to her moving forward without him), not to mention, IIRC, that is the only time Cloud as he is cries. It's very subtle and inadvertent, but given what's happening, I think it might apply a bit more, perhaps.

This. Given the "vision" he had of Aerith's materia falling when he was at the church solidifies this. He seems to be seeing visions of the future.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Major disappointment: The Oppressed does not play in Wall Market. Didn't much care about the original track they used.
We only heard a bit of it as the theme of Beck's Badasses. whyyyyyy though

Honeybee Inn arrangement was pretty good though. Loved that they actually used a sample from the original.

Last edited:

pollenainne

Pro Adventurer
Major disappointment: The Oppresssed does not play in Wall Market. Didn't much care about the original track they used.
We only heard a bit of it as the theme of Beck's Badasses. whyyyyyy though
I too would have liked to hear more of this sound track but it did quite play for some time after they beat the Beck Badasses. And the music was really good as a battle music. The remix of it when fighting was one of the best, imo.

Top Bottom