FFVII Remake at PAX East!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Because I do game work as a hobby, one of the projects I did art for is being featured at PAX. I was able to walk in and see the exhibits before the convention starts tomorrow...and damn! They have the Hardy Daytona AND the FFVII Remake demo set up!! Check this out!
8BDBEB04-2218-46EF-BA5E-508FB9ABBAD6.jpeg
904143E7-BD53-4981-B1CA-4BB8460DC8F8.jpegF3072D60-8FF2-4CE0-92A8-02780E638306.jpegB81196D8-DBB3-49D2-98E3-0E7FB96BFDEA.jpegA whole bunch of kiosks are set up - I’m talking like at least a dozen. I imagine the line is gonna get crazy, and Square is trying to match the inevitable demand. I didn’t get to play it today, but I hope I can snag a spot during the convention before the lines get overwhelming. I advise anyone who’s able to...head over here!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I got to play the demo! It was the demo with Barrett and Cloud facing off with the Guard Scorpion, so I think everyone has a pretty good idea on what the content is already. No surprises there.

But! More importantly... Going hands on with the game was an interesting experience. I thought the live-action battle gameplay would have reduced the turn-based strategic feeling, but the combination where general attacks are live action, but the magic and skills are tied to the ATB meter keep that same feeling intact for me. It’s like the turn-based combat from before, just with the wait periods filled with live action slash segments instead of stationary sections. It’s about as good of a mix between the two styles as I could imagine; I was expecting something much more akin to FFXV. (Glad we’re getting this)
Bringing up the spell menu brings the game into a time stop-esque state, where time moves super slowly. It took a little bit of time for me to get accustomed to the pacing change between the two options. I kept getting Cross and Circle mixed up because I’ve been playing a lot of PSX lately...but after two minutes or so, it felt totally natural and the battle was a smooth, exhilarating experience. It helped that Square Enix loaded the stations up with headphones that made it sound like a theatrical war zone.

Switching between party members was done with the d-pad. Cross brought up the skill / magic menu. R1 blocked. I think Cross outside of battles slashed - it was a big, weighty / laggy slash. But I think Square was attack during battles?

I loved the pace and momentum the battles had, too. The seamless transitions from overworld to battle were nice. And cinematics were as epic as I would have imagined. All while the thrill of “oh god, I’m actually playing the remake” was rushing through my head.
A8D238A9-8F55-4A14-AF49-7CABFE123ABF.png

To be able to play the game, an access ticket had to be passed out to you while you were waiting in line. The faculty wore polos branded with Shinra Electric Power Company logos, which was a good touch.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Oh hey! That’s a really good observation. Shin-Ra is now Shinra on the logo. It’s the little things like that that are pretty interesting.

Also, the irony of this situation is that a decent majority of the people on the Lifestream still know more about the remake than I do by wide margin. Getting to see how it feels and plays was my main takeaway from playing the demo.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
So glad that you got to play it!

I personally managed to experience that gameplay slice last year, and it is really difficult to articulate just how amazing the battle system feels when all the different systems actually come together during an encounter. And to think we still weren't even given the full scope of options. Still seeing so many comments that the 'gameplay looks just like XV' or 'turn based is gone' but it's not like that at all. It's why I've been really hoping that they would release a demo for everyone.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@Claymore
As someone who loved XV's combat, how would you sell VIIR's to me?

I have been trying to avoid reading much about it in anticipation of the demo being released, but since we're just over a month away from final release now, and it doesn't appear the demo will come after all -- well, I'm asking now.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
You bet, Claymore! That’s very true. Glad you got to play it as well! They even said that there are gameplay systems that aren’t in this demo, which makes it very exciting. The demo definitely feels like something they could put on PSN...hopefully they do.

I played it again today and have some additional thoughts:
The way the ATB fills encourages offensive play styles. Doing nothing fills the ATB at a normal pace, blocking slows the pace slightly, and attacking builds it quickly.

Switching between party members allows for quick coordination. For example, one party member can do a spell that exploits the enemy’s weakness and put them in a weakened state, then you can switch over to another party member that can absolutely tank damage onto them. It’s thoughtful, it’s fast, it’s full of action.

Hopefully that increases your understanding of the system a bit as well, Twilight.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
The way the ATB fills encourages offensive play styles. Doing nothing fills the ATB at a normal pace, blocking slows the pace slightly, and attacking builds it quickly.

Man, I've played the demo as well, but reading your description made me recall the interviews (with Nomura I think? Someone correct me if not) about future FFs striving for a combat system that looked and felt like Advent Children's action sequences - they're actually coming really close to that now. It's proactive, it's visually impressive, every character is actively participating and has their role to play in real-time whilst actively moving around the combat field and manoeuvring around the opponents.

I didn't think it was possible back then, but here we are.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
@Claymore
As someone who loved XV's combat, how would you sell VIIR's to me?

I have been trying to avoid reading much about it in anticipation of the demo being released, but since we're just over a month away from final release now, and it doesn't appear the demo will come after all -- well, I'm asking now.

Just on the off-chance (aka very slim hope) that a demo will be released on the original March 3rd date, don't open this until then since you've done amazingly well to not read too much about the battle system yet...

Apologies for this little ramble, but like I mentioned, it is quite difficult to articulate this properly.

For me personally, there are three aspects which specifically contribute towards what I would define as a great battle system within an RPG - strategy / depth, urgency, and fun.

The first aspect is incredibly crucial. I need the act of combat to actually be meaningful, to have a measure of depth which allows for the use of different tactics, or the consideration of different strategies, in order to win a battle. Not a simple - just attack and win 'one and done' approach. To this end, I love systems which present you with an ice-berg, allowing all users, of different experiences or capabilities, to see and touch a portion of the system, but if you want to dive deeper, they allow you to open the door and uncover a wealth of new possibilities, strategies, and combat potential. Ultimately, the strategic element within RPGs, for me, keeps combat from growing stale as you learn new abilities, figure out new exploits, or uncover optimum strategies for different encounters.

Some of the most highly-acclaimed systems have this ice-berg / rabbit hole approach.

Take Vagrant Story. You could easily go through the entire game without ever uncovering the hidden wealth of an incredibly detailed combat system. Or you could literally sink hundreds of hours perfecting its intricacies. Vagrant Story had a brilliant body-part attribution system. Targeting a different part of your opponent would have a specific effect - hitting the legs would reduce your opponent's speed, the arms their attack, the head their ability to spellcast etc... And that was just the surface. You could tailor weapons for each opponent type. Then there is the deeper rabbit hole of elements per opponent type. And we've not even mentioned skills and the 'risk vs reward' system that it incorporated.

There is also XII's gambit systems which allowed for a wealth of customization / automation. X's weapon attributes which tried to make every single member of your party useful in a specific encounter or situation. X-2 was just fast paced and fun.

For me, VIIR takes the best parts of all of these systems and combines them into a fantastic streamlined system that has great hidden depths for strategic options. Though nowhere near as detailed as in Vagrant Story, you are able to target some specific body parts of opponents, opening up some strategy and scripted elements in boss battles. It might seem like a simple thing, but spacial awareness suddenly comes back into play. Your distance from an opponent suddenly matters. What is between you an opponent suddenly matters. Environments can block you and your opponents moves, and likewise, if you are too far away from your opponent your moves won't effect them as well. Braver can actually miss! MISS! There is no mega-auto-lock-on here. This simple things throws up a lot of simple strategy in the back of your mind. You need to think about distance, about closing the gap, and switching to your other characters to make the most use of the battlefield.

I mentioned X becomes that weapon attribute aspect comes directly into play here. Cloud can't accurately hit flying opponents, or those up above. You need to switch to a long-ranger like Barret or use a Materia. This additional layer of strategy throws up so many options during an encounter, and the beauty of the quick character-switching option, with a flick of the D-pad, keeps the combat pace fast, and that sense of urgency immediate.

Then there's Tactical Mode. The ability to slow down time provides you with a breather and the option to assess your strategy - also allowing you to prepare a move with another character without even switching. This allows you to prepare multiple moves and combinations in order to optimally stagger your opponent and utilize your ATB for the full scope of your abilities.

So we've got the play of the battlefield, distance from an opponent and move distance actually being crucial, the ATB abilities, Tactical Mode, and character switching. We've not even touched on Materia use, Cloud's weapons stances, the other character's abilities, and Summons. Not to mention the other combat secrets that they haven't even revealed yet. There's so many options, which provides different possibilities and strategies within an encounter, which the short demo slice perfectly eluded to. What is amazing is how fluid all these systems and layers seem to work together. You can tell that a lot of work went into marrying all of them into one cohesive unit.

This is then combined with that sense of urgency that I mentioned was also crucial to creating a great combat system. You can have the best combat system, which can be intricate if you want it to be, in the world, but if battles feel meaningless then it personally drags the entire experience down. From my experience with the demo alone, that sense of urgency was upheld - that you are in an actual battle and the situation could go south very quickly. Enemies weren't a pushover, again harking back to the battlefield / range strategies, but also the Scorpion Sentinel, with its different phases and a far larger range of abilities, really pushed that sense of urgency. It wasn't just '+++ it's HP', it was an actual threat that nearly killed me several times, forcing me to remember to employ strategies, to hit the weak spots, to use Barret for the long-range assaults, to utilise Thunder, to use Potions and Cure Materia, to stagger then unleash the full force of Cloud's Limit Breaks ... I couldn't believe I was doing all this in a FF game, let alone my favourite.

Ultimately, I had a huge grin plastered on my face throughout the entire demo ... and long after I had left the play area. Those three crucial aspects of a great combat system - depth / strategy, urgency and fun - it had it all for me personally. And again, that was only a very small taste ... from a demo build that was 7 months ago!

If you liked any part of XV's system, then you will love this. It feels like another level. That's not even hyperbole there. The only missing bit of icing on the cake is the Materia Combinations, but we know there are linked slots, but it's not something that they've really highlighted yet. I actually hope they won't ... I can't wait to discover that in game. It was one of my favourite parts of playing VII - growing and messing around with different Materia combinations, and here it just feels like it will be just one part of a fantastic combat system.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Glad you got to play it, Prism! I'm sure it was fun. Too bad there's only Pax East and Pax West. I wish there was a PAX Central as well - then I might have been able to go. Cincinnati could use some gaming event love, I think - Distant Worlds, PAX. Oh, well. Guess that's life in the midwest. :awesome:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Glad you got to play it, Prism! I'm sure it was fun. Too bad there's only Pax East and Pax West. I wish there was a PAX Central as well - then I might have been able to go. Cincinnati could use some gaming event love, I think - Distant Worlds, PAX. Oh, well. Guess that's life in the midwest. :awesome:
Thanks Jairus! As a fellow Midwesterner, I feel you..I think PAX has a deal with Boston to keep it there for a number of years - but Columbus or Cincinnati would be a pretty good city if we’re talking Ohio. (I’d be more biased towards Detroit though) :)
Man, I've played the demo as well, but reading your description made me recall the interviews (with Nomura I think? Someone correct me if not) about future FFs striving for a combat system that looked and felt like Advent Children's action sequences - they're actually coming really close to that now. It's proactive, it's visually impressive, every character is actively participating and has their role to play in real-time whilst actively moving around the combat field and manoeuvring around the opponents.

I didn't think it was possible back then, but here we are.
That’s a very beautiful way to think of it, actually. Square’s envisioned this combat for years, and now they’ve built a system where every character plays a real-time strategic purpose while keeping the action high-octane and engaging. It plays like how Advent Children feels to watch in some ways.

The VA's for Jessie, Aerith, Tifa, Biggs, and Barret were doing squats today. I wonder who won the wig?

:square::x::circle::square::x::circle::square::x::circle::square::x::circle::square::x::circle::square::x::circle:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
for now, visually FFXVs is closer to Advent Children with its free vertical combat, multiple and constant cooperative choreography and some crazy mid-air sequences (Aranea x Noctis).

Im sure FFVIIR plays better but I hope they can add those things.

Top Bottom