FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Except that one of the main playable characters of the game hasn't even been officially mentioned yet, not a hint said or shown of him. They haven't confirmed that he'll even be in this part, and I should think they would show all the playable characters by the time of the game's launch. Considering how they treated Red in the Compilation, I'd have thought you'd want a bit more reassurance that the same thing isn't being done to him here.
A trailer isn't any reassurance that he'll be more prominent in the Remake, and even if it was, there's still tons of time to release a trailer before launch.

I think the venue plays an important role too. The Game Awards has a really broad reach--it's not just for FF nerds online--so a trailer with your badass sword swinging protagonist fits. Something like Jump Festa later in the month seems like a much better time to release a Red XIII trailer.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
True, but doesn't it bother you that one of the main playable characters from this part of the game - Red XIII - hasn't even been mentioned in all this time, let alone shown? And the release date is less than 3 months away now.
Given that this game ends like an hour after when he is meant to canonically become playable, I'd struggle to call him a main playable character. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret's time in the party were always gonna dwarf his.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Given that this game ends like an hour after when he is meant to canonically become playable, I'd struggle to call him a main playable character. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret's time in the party were always gonna dwarf his.

We don't know that he'll arrive at the same time and place as in the original, though. They may adjust things to bring him in earlier and thus, give him more time in the game. And he is one of the FFVII story's main cast, so he is expected to be a part of it. And in the original, Aerith was absent for half the Midgar segment herself, so for just that part of the game she didn't get much more time than Red did.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
We don't know that he'll arrive at the same time and place as in the original, though. They may adjust things to bring him in earlier and thus, give him more time in the game. And he is one of the FFVII story's main cast, so he is expected to be a part of it. And in the original, Aerith was absent for half the Midgar segment herself, so for just that part of the game she didn't get much more time than Red did.

The wallmarket is a setpiece to lends itself much better to taking your time with then the boss rush that constitutes Red's entire time in the party. And yeah, Red's part of it. I just dunno why it needs to be empathesised twice that he is a main playable character, there are no playable character of comparatively lesser prominence to speak off. If he gets in the game much earlier the great but if we're asssuming that already, what's the problem?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It was the best part of Advent Children, too :monster:

CookedDimpledHoneyeater-small.gif

Jairus

The wallmarket is a setpiece to lends itself much better to taking your time with then the boss rush that constitutes Red's entire time in the party. And yeah, Red's part of it. I just dunno why it needs to be empathesised twice that he is a main playable character, there are no playable character of comparatively lesser prominence to speak off. If he gets in the game much earlier the great but if we're asssuming that already, what's the problem?

As I said, they may adjust things to bring Red in earlier than that. We don't know yet. And I was emphasizing his status as a main playable character because you seem to imply he isn't, despite the fact that he was just as fully playable as any of the others and likely will be in the remake as well. I'm sure SE knows people weren't happy about how he was treated in the Compilation, so I'm hoping they rectify that here. One way they could bring Red in earlier is to shift the location of the lab where you meet him from the Shinra Building to another site somewhere in the city, one that you would visit sometime prior to Aerith's rescue but likely after the plate collapse, perhaps as a way of finding a way into Shinra HQ itself.

Rather than just strolling up to the building like in the original, maybe we'll have to visit other Shinra locations first to find a means of disabling the security systems and getting to the upper floors or something, and the lab with Red in it could be in one such location. That would likely remove Hojo's breeding experiment with Aerith, though, unless he has her whisked away while you're fighting H0512 and before you can save her. He does get away during that fight in the original, so having him take Aerith with him while we're occupied with the battle could work, I think.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
As I said, they may adjust things to bring Red in earlier than that. We don't know yet. And I was emphasizing his status as a main playable character because you seem to imply he isn't, despite the fact that he was just as fully playable as any of the others and likely will be in the remake as well. I'm sure SE knows people weren't happy about how he was treated in the Compilation, so I'm hoping they rectify that here. One way they could bring Red in earlier is to shift the location of the lab where you meet him from the Shinra Building to another site somewhere in the city, one that you would visit sometime prior to Aerith's rescue but likely after the plate collapse, perhaps as a way of finding a way into Shinra HQ itself.

Rather than just strolling up to the building like in the original, maybe we'll have to visit other Shinra locations first to find a means of disabling the security systems and getting to the upper floors or something, and the lab with Red in it could be in one such location. That would likely remove Hojo's breeding experiment with Aerith, though, unless he has her whisked away while you're fighting H0512 and before you can save her. He does get away during that fight in the original, so having him take Aerith with him while we're occupied with the battle could work, I think.
Who were the non-main, playable characters of FFVII's Midgar section if Red XIII, Barret, Aerith, TIfa and Cloud should each be considered equal. I think that's just all playable characters. And yes, we COULD bring Red forward without destroying the narrative too much. I never hear why tho. Sure won't help Red's story.

Jairus

Who were the non-main, playable characters of FFVII's Midgar section if Red XIII, Barret, Aerith, TIfa and Cloud should each be considered equal. I think that's just all playable characters. And yes, we COULD bring Red forward without destroying the narrative too much. I never hear why tho. Sure won't help Red's story.

You don't know that it would damage his story because you don't know how they'd do it or what they'd add to it. One shouldn't make assumptions about things one doesn't have all the information for. You know what they say about assuming and what it does. And the reason to bring him forward would be to make him more a part of this first game, give us more time with him, expand his story, and give him the chance to become as strong and developed, gameplay-wise, as the other characters. And how is any fully playable character not main? Each one of the playable cast, even those who won't be in Part 1, have their own significance and story, Red included, which the remake is bound to expand upon.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I am sitting in the "waiting-with-Nanaki's-announcement-until-the-player-sees-him-in-the-actual-game camp", but how I know SE, they will spoil the surprise for new players anyway... so you can be sure we'll see him at Jump Festa with his own character focused trailer. Mark my words!

Gameplay-wise, I see him as playable character, but without customizing his equipment or skills.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
You don't know that it would damage his story because you don't know how they'd do it or what they'd add to it. One shouldn't make assumptions about things one doesn't have all the information for. You know what they say about assuming and what it does. And the reason to bring him forward would be to make him more a part of this first game, give us more time with him, expand his story, and give him the chance to become as strong and developed, gameplay-wise, as the other characters. And how is any fully playable character not main? Each one of the playable cast, even those who won't be in Part 1, have their own significance and story, Red included, which the remake is bound to expand upon.

They're not main playable character in the same way they they aren't fully playable because there are no non-main, partially playable characters this distinquishes them from. There are just playable characters. And you don't know that they can bring him forward without avoiding any of that either. Or whether leaving him for Part 2 might enhance his story. Or maybe they are leaving where he is and they haven't shown him yet just because they haven't shown anything from his section of the game at all to begin with and there's no reason to assume this means they aren't giving him the treatment they deserve. Given that any amount of speculation is equal to assuming.

Jairus

They're not main playable character in the same way they they aren't fully playable because there are no non-main, partially playable characters this distinquishes them from. There are just playable characters. And you don't know that they can bring him forward without avoiding any of that either. Or whether leaving him for Part 2 might enhance his story. Or maybe they are leaving where he is and they haven't shown him yet just because they haven't shown anything from his section of the game at all to begin with and there's no reason to assume this means they aren't giving him the treatment they deserve. Given that any amount of speculation is equal to assuming.

Red is a fully playable character in the original and will likely be in the Remake as well. I was talking about him and the rest of the original playable cast, not the trio. And again, you don't know that they can't bring him forward while preserving and enhancing his story, either. Everyone knows he first appears in Midgar, and SE knows it, too. I doubt they'll push him to Part 2 when they know he does have a part in the Midgar story, one that is possible to expand to give us more time with him and him more story and development. And we know there are story changes, of which the watchmen are likely to be but one out of many. And if you don't think we should be speculating, then don't do it yourself. I was merely commenting on what was possible, not what was certain.

Top Bottom