FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I watched this video and fell back asleep for a while and had a dream where Aerith was infected with Sephiroth's blood ... so basically her blood and Seph's mixed inside of her and Aerith ... became Sephiroth? However the main Aerith still looked like Aerith but they could alter their appearance to look like Sephiroth but they also spat out a clone ... or was it the real Sephiroth I don't know who could also look like Aerith or Sephiroth depending. Wild.

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
I found Johnny entertaining for the most part, along with Tifa's reactions to him. Kyrie though, is someone I would have no trouble punching. I hope Yuffie is less annoying than that.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thing is, in Chapter 4, Wedge and Cloud have some good banter about Wedge calling Cloud bro. So Johnny is literally worse than useless, because even his thing is done better, and earlier, by a more likeable character.

All I could think about during Johnny’s post Chapter 3 appearances was “Didn’t Cloud run you out of town on pain of death? Why isn’t Cloud saying anything? Where’s the consistency?” Johnny’s writing made the story abjectly worse.

I like Roche. :3

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
All I could think about during Johnny’s post Chapter 3 appearances was “Didn’t Cloud run you out of town on pain of death? Why isn’t Cloud saying anything? Where’s the consistency?”

My understanding is that Johnny was blindfolded so he didn't realize Cloud and Tifa saved him / told him to get the hell out of dodge. That's why Johnny tries to explain to Tifa in Chapter 14 that he needs to leave town.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
My understanding is that Johnny was blindfolded so he didn't realize Cloud and Tifa saved him / told him to get the hell out of dodge. That's why Johnny tries to explain to Tifa in Chapter 14 that he needs to leave town.

For my part, I preferred OG Johnny (ducks a tomato) a Tifa stan who overhears her and Cloud talking about their childhood promise and assumes (correctly) that he doesn’t stand a chance, and so leaves Midgar.......... heading to the whorehouse first.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
I got the impression that they copied Yakuza's writing. To counter Kiryu Cloud & Tifa's dullness, you need bunch of comic relief characters around them.
Johnny is Majima, minus the competence part.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
On the writing of Johnny's character:

In addition to being really fantastic as that sort of overly energetic bombastic character, Johnny plays a really important role of being a foil to Cloud's original persona when he gets grabbed by Shinra. Yes, Wedge calls him bro – but there're a lot of really specific reasons for Cloud to care about Wedge. Johnny is a walking disaster, and Cloud was just prepared to just eliminate him as a risk at first, which is why the extreme juxtaposition between the two of them in Wall Market plays so well and is so important.

While in the Sector 7 Slums, despite being 10,000% not interested in helping with the water filters, Tifa helps Cloud to establish himself as a mercenary & feel like he has a place where he can be useful and belong. That's the relationship he grows to have with the Avalanche crew. However, after the slum-wandering with Aerith just warmly wandering around and helping people out JUST to help them, Cloud's even more significantly breaking out of that cold facade. It's to the point where he's not just instantly cold-shouldering people out of the way, and he's starting to not just approach every situation as a zero-sum interaction. This is why, despite having an established disdain for Johnny & Johnny being an abject disaster of incompetence – the fact that they're teamed up in Wall Market going around on missions matters. It's 100% different than Cloud getting to like someone he SHOULD like, like Wedge. It's about him getting to shake his head and smile at someone trying to do the right thing & failing spectacularly, while helping out someone who he literally doesn't have any good reason to, other than just trying to be a decent person.

Johnny tries everything first, fails spectacularly, and then warns Cloud when you show up to try the same thing. His only redeeming quality is literally just that he genuinely cares. Mercenary Cloud has no reason to give a shit about that dude, but protagonist Cloud understands the REASON that motivates Johnny's actions, and is learning to appreciate that, and starts to show him that it's not all hopeless – even when you fail constantly, the things that Johnny wants to achieve are still worth trying for.

That sets the narrative tone for the entire story post-Wall Market, so I'm gonna flat-out hard disagree that his writing is bad or made Remake abjectly worse. If anything, it added in the bordering-on-cartoonish bombastic elements that let characters like Beck, Butch, & Burke feel at home and pull the game up into the sort of lighthearted slapstick whatnot that the original had – again, because Mercenary Cloud'd've just flat-out killed them, but the traveling-with-Aerith protagonist Cloud is totally content to just let them play dead and go on about his business.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Wonderful analysis, X. You've somewhat tempered my (probably unreasonably strong) distaste for Johnny's existence. He's still a colossal idiot with wild delusions of grandeur, but his motivations are mostly good.

That's... hm.

I'm glad that I could help shift your view on him a little bit. ^_^

Also, while I probably shouldn't've used a double contraction like that, I'm sure that y'all'dn't've been exposed to the monstrosities that English is technically capable of producing if I didn't periodically reveal them. After all, hardly anyone's as fond of abusing technically correct contractions as I'm. (But really, it's all just a ploy so that now you have something new to channel your unreasonably strong dislike towards). :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
y'all'dn't've
tumblr_inline_mqvj3pxI2t1qz4rgp.gif

102623cf78e7f66ba1ead8a55f5b98c1.gif

now you have something new to channel your unreasonably strong dislike towards
giphy.gif

Now I'm conflicted.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I always just like Johnny being the everyman who is in way over his head but trying to do the right thing, and how he has his own little side journey that runs parallel to the party up to Costa del Sol. I actually hope he shows up more often in the future parts of the remake so we can see what nonsense he gets up to while we're trying to save the world.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Those groddy ass textures are gonna be the huge mole on the face of FFVII-Remake.

"God this game looks gorgeous and- WHOLLY MOLE-Y!!!! MOLE AT 12' O'CLOCK!!!! MOLE MOUNTAIN DEAD AHEAD!" :monster:

What the fuck, the right textures are in the fucking game, Square. Just put them in.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Why does every other post in this forum end with Cookie Monster? lol. So strange.

Those groddy ass textures are gonna be the huge mole on the face of FFVII-Remake.

"God this game looks gorgeous and- WHOLLY MOLE-Y!!!! MOLE AT 12' O'CLOCK!!!! MOLE MOUNTAIN DEAD AHEAD!" :monster:

What the fuck, the right textures are in the fucking game, Square. Just put them in.

Apparently the reason is a complicated issue with Unreal 4 and performance issues. It seems not to be an easy issue to solve without tanking something else. Im just hoping for the background textures to be fixed (like chapter 15, or the view from under the top plate). Everything else is really not a big deal. And hopefully a ps5 update will fix that too.

Top Bottom