• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake delayed to April 10th Worldwide

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Am I right in thinking that even if the postal service shuts down for Good Friday here in the UK, the stores will be open albeit on restricted trading hours?

Looks like an early morning trip to my nearby gaming emporium before bedding in for the weekend...!

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Yep, it's a bit odd. I can't speak for Germany, but in the UK, things aren't really closed for religious reasons (except for Christmas, and even that now has a lot of non-religious traditions, like the Queen's Speech and Top of the Pops). Most people aren't hugely religious, and those that are tend to be more low key about it than in other countries. I don't really know what it's like elsewhere, but it's also possible that the UK has higher than average amounts of different religions in smaller areas (certainly where I live, in the Midlands).

For most people, it's really just about having some time off, and it only lines up with traditional religious holidays because those days were always non-working days and there's no huge benefit in moving them.

About the same thing for France. Holidays are mostly on religious days because it's a legacy of the times where the society was dominated by christianity, which isn't the case anymore. As Shaun said, there's no huge benefit in moving them.
The main difference with North America is that shops do close and services do stop on a holiday. Labour laws are quite different.

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Am I right in thinking that even if the postal service shuts down for Good Friday here in the UK, the stores will be open albeit on restricted trading hours?

Looks like an early morning trip to my nearby gaming emporium before bedding in for the weekend...!

I think so. I'm pretty sure most shops in the UK stay open. I'm not even sure whether they have to change their opening times like they do on Sundays. At the very least, most large supermarkets stay open and they tend to stock what they expect to be "big name" releases, so I'm pretty sure they'll have it too. I certainly remember them having FFXV.

And digital services shouldn't be affected by closures either, so I guess there's always that option if you haven't already pre-ordered (although personally, I would always prefer to have physical copies if they're available).

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
FlareKnight
Good for both games. I don't know the impact or who would have taken the bigger hit. But it would have been a loss for both games to release that close.

Now I'm just hoping that's the last we hear of delays for a while. Just no more delays for FF7 or anything else coming out in the next few months.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Yup, really is a trend nowadays. Just hope it teaches companies some lessons about release dates and all, specially for the developer's well being.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm still upset at the dumbass date they chose. Yes, release it on a holiday, that makes sense. Am I getting it on the 9th then? The 11th? 14th?
It factually cannot release on April 10, so this is weird.

Are you wishing to own a physical copy right away? You could buy it digital and preload to guarantee you'll play it on launch day. Then buy physical when it's on sale.

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Yup, really is a trend nowadays. Just hope it teaches companies some lessons about release dates and all, specially for the developer's well being.
I feel this is a catch-22 for developers. Now, when the delays are happening, I've seen lots of anger on other sites telling devs to not pick a day until they know they can make it. But, during big events like E3, lots of people get mad at devs for not putting a date on their game in the first place.

I feel like the only way devs can know for sure that their game will release on a particular day is to not announce a release date until the game is done and in certification (which obviously isn't enough time before release).

Saven

Pro Adventurer
As someone who works with development - things can go wrong real quick and showstoppers can happen out of the blue where a delay needs to happen. One project I was working on in particular was meant to release in April last year, but it didn't come out until October due to me being pulled onto other projects or things that popped up that I didn't even think about. I feel that Square really wanted this March 3rd release, but just wanted more time to make it as good as possible.

Now, from a marketing standpoint, companies need to follow the Capcom approach and announce shit when it's close to or in beta and release within the year if possible. That would stop a lot of the complaining because there are a lot of games that get announced waaaaaaaaaay too early like FFVIIR and Cyberpunk. FFVIIR wasn't even close to being ready by the time it was shown and Square admitted as much.

Lex

Administrator
I'm always surprised, given the US' reputation vs Western Europe for religiousness vs secularism, that it's the UK and Germany that close for Good Friday. iirc, Germany even closes for stuff like the Ascension??

I know someone's already responded to you but to elaborate further: the UK doesn't really close for anything other than Christmas day and New Years day (and even then, a lot of places still work through it).

Public holidays here - like bank holidays, or good Friday - are less and less guaranteed days off. My work for example doesn't close down on any of the public holidays (aside from christmas and new year), but since they're legal entitlements we get them back as vacation days to take on top of our annual vacation day allowance. Retail stores normally require their staff to work them, because people who work office or industrial jobs tend to take the opportunity to shop.

We don't operate in the same way as most other countries in that respect. I remember when I was in Canada it happened during some holiday to do with celebrating Queen Victoria? And I was like "I'm going to go to the shop for some alcohol". Nope, EVERYTHING was closed.

So on Good Friday here all the game stores will be running business as usual (they'll be even busier than usual). But the postal/ delivery services don't normally deliver on bank holidays. Square Enix in the UK normally ship using DPD, and I've just checked their website:

1579216667611.png

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
As someone who works with development - things can go wrong real quick and showstoppers can happen out of the blue where a delay needs to happen. One project I was working on in particular was meant to release in April last year, but it didn't come out until October due to me being pulled onto other projects or things that popped up that I didn't even think about. I feel that Square really wanted this March 3rd release, but just wanted more time to make it as good as possible.

Now, from a marketing standpoint, companies need to follow the Capcom approach and announce shit when it's close to or in beta and release within the year if possible. That would stop a lot of the complaining because there are a lot of games that get announced waaaaaaaaaay too early like FFVIIR and Cyberpunk. FFVIIR wasn't even close to being ready by the time it was shown and Square admitted as much.
Can't have a delay if you don't announce you're even working on a game until it's 99% done, right? ;)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just got a mail from Amazon, expected delivery date: April 15

KZSD26T.gif

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Very seriously considering double dipping on a digital copy at this point. I've not much confidence in any SE Store orders arriving on release date.
I've been tossing this around in my mind, too; I'd rather pay to download it as soon as it's available and know for certain that I can play it, than hope that the physical distribution from SE goes off without a hitch (which I seriously doubt).

Plus, that way I could have an unopened copy of FF7R? Not that I'm much of a collector, but it's one way to justify it in my head.

Edit:
WLvp6X.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom