• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake delayed to April 10th Worldwide

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The fact they've done an opt-in requirement for pre-orders is definitely a bit strange. I can foresee a non-minor amount of people losing their pre-order without them realizing it at all. With that said, the way the pre-ordering is handled is obviously a different arm of SE than the dev team, so I don't blame them on that - a decision to delay is usually always for the better. The game always feels so far away regardless, so this isn't that jarring to me.

Plus, it gives me more time to finish my current playthrough of the original PSX FF7 I'm doing to psyche me up for the remake, so yeah.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
So CDPR basically confirmed that their 5 month delay is going to be comprised of a lot more crunch time. Jesus. 5 month crunch time. And here I thought at least one company could delay a game to ease the strain on their workers. I'm almost positive the SE operates the same, specially with the way work is interpreted in Japan. Makes you rethink delays.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The entire work ethic of Japan can be summated as crunch.

That entire paradigm is baked into the Japanese cultural structure. It won't ever really end. Because workers don't have proper rights or value in that sense.

And honestly, crunch isn't just a product of the gamer consumer base. It's a product of capitalism, specifically venture captial and public trading. Shareholders hold the purse strings, and they fund the companies and their projects. They expect a return on the money they inject into these products, and they want it on schedule. So, unless a fundamental shift happens in the economic model of video game funding and shareholder control of companies, crunch in some form or fashion will exist.

The only way it can be mitigated and avoided is if companies get better management and the workers get proper unionization.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy

That entire paradigm is baked into the Japanese cultural structure. It won't ever really end. Because workers don't have proper rights or value in that sense.

And honestly, crunch isn't just a product of the gamer consumer base. It's a product of capitalism, specifically venture captial and public trading. Shareholders hold the purse strings, and they fund the companies and their projects. They expect a return on the money they inject into these products, and they want it on schedule. So, unless a fundamental shift happens in the economic model of video game funding and shareholder control of companies, crunch in some form or fashion will exist.

The only way it can be mitigated and avoided is if companies get better management and the workers get proper unionization.

Yes I completely agree. It's much more of a structural issue than anything else. Just disapprove of the "crunch normalisation". As if it's meant to happen because that's how "game development" works. I believe in the CDPR interview, or something similar I dont exactly recall, they were sayings of older, veteran developers who normalised crunch between the younger people who complained about it. Ubisoft, as criticised as it is, is said to be one of the best gaming companies to work with, specially with it's strict policies about crunching. I also believe the consumer should be more aware, and participate more. Most of them only care about the end product, and those who know about the struggle, often dismiss it. The worst would be the reaction to long development times. The same people who criticise fervently about crunching can be seen complaining that their game is taking too long to be made. And they dont criticise as fervently about the horrible direction and planning that the game has. They just want their game done quick.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
So CDPR basically confirmed that their 5 month delay is going to be comprised of a lot more crunch time. Jesus. 5 month crunch time. And here I thought at least one company could delay a game to ease the strain on their workers. I'm almost positive the SE operates the same, specially with the way work is interpreted in Japan. Makes you rethink delays.

Yes I completely agree. It's much more of a structural issue than anything else. Just disapprove of the "crunch normalisation". As if it's meant to happen because that's how "game development" works. I believe in the CDPR interview, or something similar I dont exactly recall, they were sayings of older, veteran developers who normalised crunch between the younger people who complained about it. Ubisoft, as criticised as it is, is said to be one of the best gaming companies to work with, specially with it's strict policies about crunching. I also believe the consumer should be more aware, and participate more. Most of them only care about the end product, and those who know about the struggle, often dismiss it. The worst would be the reaction to long development times. The same people who criticise fervently about crunching can be seen complaining that their game is taking too long to be made. And they dont criticise as fervently about the horrible direction and planning that the game has. They just want their game done quick.
Reminds me of this timelapse video someone took of SE's office building in 2018:

(Although, this could imply not a lot of things, sometimes some buildings leave on lights in an empty buildings for lots of reasons)

Highwind

Pro Adventurer
Saw a post on Square Enix's German FB page, someone inquired about the release date. Response is that they are aware of the issues for some countries and are "checking possible solutions".
That's good to hear. Do you have a link to that specific post? I was searching for it, but Facebook is so confusing to use for me.

nazhus

Rookie Adventurer
I ordered mine from Very here in the UK, they usually send me an email update every now and then, todays email still showed it as "your order is on track for 3/3/20" so this automated message hasn't been updated, as well as on my account.

The product page however has been updated and showing "for delivery on 14/4/20" which means i'm going to have to wait an additional 4 days to play it because of the Good Friday and Easter Monday bank holidays :(

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That's good to hear. Do you have a link to that specific post? I was searching for it, but Facebook is so confusing to use for me.

This is what they posted:

82223857_3564618100245324_2710374790434127872_n.jpg

Lifestreamdream

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Maggie
I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life just to see more of these characters and in a new light. How am I supposed to wait until April!

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
Aside from looks, I'm not aware of the Remake of RE2 negating anything from the original. Unless you mean stuff that didn't make it in the Remake?

Late reply is late, but like I said earlier: Claire A + Leon B's different scenarios weren't exactly in RE2 Remake. Instead, whether or not you're Clarie or Leon in Remake, you're left with bizarre inconsistencies of Annette in two different places at the same time (while in the original RE, playing Claire A/Leon B left you on a very different story path...compared to playing Leon A/Claire B with Sherry's fate being way different).

Oh, I'm assuming this was already shared, but for anybody who missed it:

Amazon should be delivering our preorder no problem on Good Friday since they deliver separately from the U.S. post office, but I guess that's somewhat wait and see.

Top Bottom