FFVII Remake E3 Demo Impressions

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Review from Max & Yo Videogames. They chat about issues with the lines, the immersion, the Mako Reactor music, a bunch about the banter, lots of combat specifics, voice acting & character portrayal / differentiation (Goes from ~1:28:00 - 2:45:00)

Max is gonna try to get in and get some more information today, so there might be another follow-up, depending.

X:neo:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
- Victory music is not present after battles, EXCEPT for when, in my play through, Barret literally sang the victory theme after we killed some enemies, ala what Prompto from XV sometimes did. His surly voice singing it made me cringe and laugh.
- Speaking of battle music, the mako reactor theme seamlessly transitioned into a mako reactor BATTLE theme when fighting enemies, and it was awesome. I'm thinking each area may actually have its own battle theme based on the map theme. Hoping we get to hear the original battle theme too at some point.
- It was FUNNY. Jesse had extra dialogue when you go back to talk to her and she told me something along the lines of, I'm flattered you think I'm more interesting than a mako reactor.
- It was CHALLENGING. The boss fight required a sense of awareness that made it incredibly thrilling and satisfying when you succeeded. I had to use about 6 potions and a few cures.
- Party members are UNIQUE and control differently and feel great. I made the conscious decision to switch characters maybe 15+ times in the demo alone, just to take advantage of different situations. Examples are, flying enemies can't be hit by Cloud so you should switch to Barret, Cloud moves faster than Barret so I switched to Barret to get his ass under cover during the big laser attack, and other things that are materia set up dependent like you had to use Cloud to cure and Barret to lightning.
- Limit breaks are SUPER flashy and powerful. It felt soooo satisfying to use them.
- Relative basic strategy for boss fights will most likely be, stagger the boss using less powerful high-stagger abilities, wait to fully stagger until all of your limit breaks are full, then go full ham.
- The LORE is being further developed and I could tell just from the demo. I learned something new about what Barret was thinking about Cloud: after you plant the bomb and the alarm goes off, Barret immediately turns his gun on Cloud and says something about him double-crossing them, essentially cementing how little he trusts Cloud at that point, and it was masterfully done and fit perfectly with the character. If I felt that level of character development just from the demo, I am so incredibly excited about what else we will be learning about these characters we know and love already in the full game.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...spot-kotaku-eza-and-more.122944/post-21841842

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
He usually starts streaming at around 8pm PST (so harder to catch in the EU), and I think he was on around 9pm yesterday. Also, with the insane amount of work that he does with everything, I think that just posting on Twitter is about all the spare time that he has for doing Internet-type things, so I don't think we'd see him around these parts, since these forums are wonderful, but dear GODS they are a time-sink.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So he must've seen the Press demonstration? That's quite a thing. I wonder how many 'high-level' fans were given that opportunity.

There are a lot of gaming events and stuff that he generally gets press-type passes for – and he almost always has them for big events like E3. He lives in LA and pretty much his career is all around games coverage and stuff that he does with his streaming. Additionally, he's also worked on games before (Killer Instinct) which helps get him a lot of cred beyond just the scope of the fighting game community, and when it comes to reporting on games in general.

He mentioned that he got an invite for the SE panel at E3, but specifically declined it because he wanted to be able to experience it on stream with everyone (and so we could enjoy his genuine reaction to everything that they showed off). That's pretty in-line with stuff he's done before (not playing his review copy of DMCV, so that he could do it on stream, or playing the MK11 story off-stream with Yo Videogames because of all the early leaks, but recording it and releasing the videos and doing different release-day content).

I dig his stuff because we have VERY similar passions about games (FFVII, Asura's Wrath, FFXV), but also because I think that he has a really grounded perspective on realistic expectations when it comes to games development and things, too.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So the stream’s up. Around 1:27:26 they start talking FF. Some questions I had were answered:

CG or Gameplay? (Aka some shots must be pre-rendered right?) Apparently it’s all real time, but they switch out low-poly with CG-quality models when they need a close-up. Different quality models? Just like the OG ^_^ (also different FPS rates would change quality of things.)

Are the treasure boxes gold and do they go b-r-reh? Yes and yes!

Around 1:56:00 they say that the Tactical Mode camera isn’t controlled, it’s static but after a moment it automatically bullet-times. Swapping characters and changing targets will move the camera, and tbh if I had full camera control I would have spent most of my time bullet-timing anyway.

No word on whether you get more ATB bars as you level — I’m personally hoping for a purple materia!

Around 2hr point they wax hopeful about solo combat runs (aka doing a run as Tifa) but it’s technically impossible because sometimes characters get crushed or grabbed and you have to use the party to help.

2:08:53 I can’t be alone in worrying that there might be... too much banter...?

2:16:00 <s>hate</s>love to be that guy but fanfare does play when you fight basic enemies on your way down in the reactor. I am ambivalent about the change

2:21 apparently blizzard actually froze “the little enemy” mono drive probably. YES

Overall, they lend their voices to the “this is for real” chant coming out of the E3 demo chamber. This is it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom