SPOILERS FFVII Remake Frustration Expression Thread (*Open Spoilers*)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Aw that sucks. I guess this is the new flat screens in Crisis Core, 90's box computers in the OG.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I didn't really see anyone in the slums with a phone, the PHS terminals you use in the Drum are very old school-looking. So I would expect the party to be using less advanced "burner" phone kinda things once they leave Midgar. With high end cell technology being reserved for Shinra/wealthy and the party not wanting to be easily tracked.

But also, who knows. Maybe they'll just talk through two Whispers tied together with a string.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The OG PHS Cloud and the others use in FFVII was an old school Nokia inspired brick, going by the item models from the Ultimania Omega.

Hmmm.. Really would be interesting to see how they go about it. In the slums you see old school telephones in buildings and houses. Same with CR TVs and jukeboxes and old school record players. The tech is all over the damn place in the Remake.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
It'd be funny if the flip phones they use in AC are retroactively made out to be the inferior tech they're forced to make due with post meteor.
I thought about how the Remake retconned some stuff, cellphones included, and my conclusion was exactly what you suggested. Out of all the changes and retcons, that's the easiest one to explain by a long shot.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I get the feeling too. Sometimes it's with lame things like Remake appearing on the Square Enix Store's jumbotron. My mind's like "holy shit my babies are vogue again". Thinking about a future ad with renders of Yuffie and Cait Sith has me in disbelief.

Capture.JPG

The Sector 7 slums were a big moment for me too. I got emotional when the main theme started playing as Cloud left his apartment. And I'm calling it now, I'm going to cry when Vincent joins the party. That's my man. Imagine playing as that character in Remake's battle system. I might even make Vincent my profile pic.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Don't remember if this was already mentioned but I missed Mr. Wallace's King Kong gesture.

I only miss his Jeremy-Irons-in-the-Dungeons & Dragons-movie-big gestures because they didn’t fully toss his physical goofiness in Remake. I get whiplash from Barret’s body language, it goes from powerful planted stillness “You better be worth the money, merc.” To... whatever he was doing in the elevator five minutes later. It may just be that his mocap actor was not a 300lb giant with a gun-arm, but his physical expressions are puppeteered and uncanny to me.

I fully acknowledge that my tradition in Laban is very different from the Noh tradition, and when I think of Remake Barret’s (on-and-off) sweep-to-tableau movement style I definitely get Noh vibes, but Noh is a stylized dance tradition that isn’t supposed to be naturalistic, so having one actor in a scene literally dancing while everyone else is moving naturally? Especially when the same character was moving naturalistically just moments ago? Whiplash.

Funnily enough, OG Barret *does* align with Laban philosophy, he is a textbook “slash” style (sudden, fast, light, and direct). In Remake, though, he changes his movement style from scene to scene. The elevator scene is the biggest head scratcher for me, because within the span of a few sentences he glides, wrings, punches, and slashes. I don’t get any sense of the character from his physical performance, which isn’t something I could say about the cartoonish antics of ‘97 Barret.

On the flip side, Cloud’s physical direction, however, is 10000% a home run. His character *is* performative, and his movement is naturalistic but put-on. He wants to stand cool, so he “stands cool.” You could erase his head and mute his dialogue and get such a consistent and telling characterization. Jessie and Wedge are also standout performances.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
tenor.gif

(I get the impression the elevator speech was, in whole or part, a rehearsed sermon he's given or prepared to give.)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
It might be a sort of uncanny Valley effect happening (maybe not the most appropriate term to use, but I'm being approximate here). Or perhaps, more likely, a cultural difference. I don't tend to notice what Ite is describing in anime as much because they're cartoons. But I definitely get that feeling from some Japanese live action films.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Several of the characters have over-expressive body language and gestures that don’t translate 100% to the modern day. The OG had plenty of this but you needed it because of the graphical capability of the time and it was an effective way of conveying emotion, however you have voice acting and realistic character models to do that for you now.

It’s a small gripe and not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but it does notice, especially when compared to games of the current era (e.g. the hyper-real feel of TLOU 2).

Top Bottom