FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I mean it's probably just meant to be Yuffie and Sonon at the edge of any random plate between 5 and 7 and looking out at slums the extend past the plate's overhang.

The slums don't extend out at least two or three kilometers from the edge of the plate to the slums wall, though, as they do here. Aerith even calls our attention to the wall shortly after we meet her, and the plate edge isn't even 1/10 this distance from the wall.

The Yuffie & Sonon picture would presumably have to be taken from the central pillar to justify the distance to the wall, but then we should be able to see some plates or mako reactors.

There's really no making sense of this one -- they just didn't think about it that much. :monster:

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
Maybe the view we see on the render is the edge of Midgar. Yuffie and Sonon could be looking outwards from Midgar.
There is a lot outside as well, homes, constructions and more. It looks poor enough to look like the Slums, yet there is no plate above. So it could easily be one of the outside parts of Midgar that has no construction over for an expanded plate above yet.
Midgar REMAKE in-game
Midgar REMAKE
Midgar

As you can see in the first screenshot, Midgar is expanding with more plates on the outside. There is a lot of constructions, but one on the left side has no construction yet so it could be that Yuffie and Sonon is rendered looking outwards from that Sector plate

Maximilian Dood speculates in this video from 16:10 to 18:46 that the Yuffie DLC will show her character going through trauma and failure which in turn will make her more brash and aggressive for when she joins up with Cloud & team. Max is arguing that the way Yuffie acts in the DLC is not in line with her 'OG self' and that the events will turn Yuffie into 'the character that we know from OG'.

I'm typically in the camp that I don't think the main characters of FFVII are dramatically different in OG compared to how they are in the Compilation. The Yuffie presented to us in this DLC feels the same to me as the one presented in OG and Compilation, with only the precise stakes in the story being different. Max does make me ponder though on an aspect about Yuffie that the original game never had to deal with: Yuffie's thoughts and plans while she was with Cloud & team before going ahead with stealing their materia.

If Yuffie joins you early in OG it's conceivable that there were countless moments when Yuffie could have stolen your materia. She clearly joins your party with the intent to steal but it takes a pretty gosh darn long time before she actually goes through with it. With how detailed and thought-out the character writing in Remake is, I don't think they're going to leave this part blank. We will see Yuffie struggling with her allegiance, actually becoming cozy with Cloud & team and perhaps choosing not to steal their materia at a time when she technically could. Then something Wutai-related will happen and Yuffie feels that her hand is forced and she ends up stealing the materia.

Another part that the original game never had to deal with was the LOGIC of the party accepting Yuffie into their ranks. It makes absolutely no sense in the OG for them to accept her, especially if you fell victim to one of her tricks even a single time. Remake Yuffie will actually need to have a compelling reason and a good argument for why the team should take her under their wing, otherwise there will be no way to accept the scenario in a game like Remake.

One idea suggested in the "hopes for story" thread is that maybe Yuffie will guide the team across the Midgar Zolom marshes, though even after that scenario where Yuffie helps she will need to explain with the team why she wants to continue on the journey with them.

So even if Yuffie becomes "brash and aggressive" (as Max puts it) by the time she joins Cloud, I believe she will quickly develop friendship with them and that this is what postpones her decision to steal their materia.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I never read her as "brash and aggressive" in the original... she was always just childish and a bit detached from the main plot ("This is boring, let's go find Materia!" Is a thing she says at some point lol.) I think max is just misremembering how she acts.

Totally agree with everything else you said, though. The Yuff needs a proper character arc this time.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yuffie can be abrasive but not really aggressive.

She's the kind of character that has no filter, unless she really, really likes you. So she has numerous moments where she just talks with absolutely no tact. That can come off as kinda aggressive? That's the best I got :monster:

Presumably the Avalanche connection will be crucial.
The Avalanche guys Yuffie is with in Midgar - are they the ones Barret refers to in his midnight talk with Cloud in Aerith's garden? Finn, and I can't remember the others. They all presumably died in the platedrop. If they're the same ones, then that mutual acquaintance will be what gets Yuffie accepted by Cloud & Co.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I don't think the "reasons for joining" are as critical as they're presened here.

Cid joins because they need the Tiny Bronco and they let him stick around and even lead the party. Revenge on Shinra.
Cait Sith joins because he insists on it.
Vincent joins because.... hot goth boi? He is the only one possibly in it to get Sephiroth.
Yuffie joins because, at best, revenge on Shinra.

The reasons were never that great or compelling in the OG. I could see in the Remake they need to clarify this a bit, but even a kunoichi showing up an devastating a Shinra patrol/monsters/whatever and saying that Wutai is eager to help fight Shinra, that's probably enough. The interactions between Barret and Yuffie are very, very promising and I'm really excited for that.

As for Al, Finn, and Nellie: When Yuffie meets Sonon in the trailer, we do briefly see two guys behind presumably-Nellie. One seems to be blondie we see later. I suspect these three will be the characters. (I'm a bit sad we don't have another black character.) My only curiosity is if this cell is the large cell in masks we see elsewhere and what/if there'll be explicit connections to characters like Fuhito/Shears/Elfe/Veld.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The slums don't extend out at least two or three kilometers from the edge of the plate to the slums wall, though, as they do here. Aerith even calls our attention to the wall shortly after we meet her, and the plate edge isn't even 1/10 this distance from the wall.

The Yuffie & Sonon picture would presumably have to be taken from the central pillar to justify the distance to the wall, but then we should be able to see some plates or mako reactors.

There's really no making sense of this one -- they just didn't think about it that much. :monster:
That’s why I said it’s probably “just meant” to be, not that it’s necessarily exactly accurate to the layout of the city/slum geography that was shown in the game (which had its own skybox issues).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dear God.

I just realized something today.

I'm calling it now.

....Yuffie is looking for the "strongest materia" to steal from Shinra. So why do Yuffie and Sonon get attacked by Deepground?

Because they're trying to infiltrate the Mako Reactor closest and most important to Shinra which is accessible via the underground train tunnels of Midgar.

Mako Reactor 0.

Mako Reactor 0 is beneath the Shinra Building and gives power to Sector 0. And this sector is where Deepground is hidden as well.

Weiss the Immaculate is kept chained up and hidden there.

That's why Yuffie and Sonon are shown on a train to Midgar. "They deserve whats coming to them." Because they use the train tunnels to infiltrate the Sector 0 infrastructure and enter the Reactor. Furthermore, they know Cloud and the others will be attacking the Shinra Building.

This is why Yuffie knew how to infiltrate Deepground and reach Reactor 0 without Vincent's help in Dirge of Cerberus.

Essentially, Yuffie attempted to snatch the Huge Materia of Mako Reactor 0 but failed. Yuffie's shenanigans are probably why Shinra were briefly caught unaware by AVALANCHE in Chapter 18, because they were torn between the return of Sephiroth and dealing with a security breach in Mako Reactor 0.

I'm calling it now. This shit runs deep. And it actually makes sense.

waw

Pro Adventurer
If these guys are the other Avalanche members, I wish they had kept the red headband motif going.
I like that it's not everyone, it would identify Avalanche members too easily. The problem for me is that Barret and Tifa don't wear the red bands. I figure maybe it'll be used as a memorial for someone like Shears/Elfe, similar to the pink ribbons for Aerith in AC.

For my part, I get that in Remake, BC is uh... tenuous? It seems to have both happened and not happened since Remake is so much it's own thing. But I can't figure out where the Yuffie-attached branch, the big branch with guns, and Barret's branch deviate. Is it the loss of Fuhito and Elfe? Is it over who will follow in Fuhito's footsteps? How would Barret feel about Fuhito? BC kinda messes this whole section up and makes it seem that Barret puts together a sort of successor group rather than a splinter faction.

While kind of radical, I like the idea that Barret's group is a lot like Saw Guerrera's Partisans in Star Wars. They're the radical group, maybe the elite troopers of Fuhito and that Barret would've/should've been his heavy hitter.

Why is this in the DLC thread you ask? I really hope that Yuffie's chapter helps us understand the anatomy of Avalanche and how it comes together and splits. Barret made it sound like Nellie, Finn, and Al helped him out, but that they were possibly part of the main branch. O.O

Top Bottom