• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Do we know when Weiss (and Nero) became restrained? Because at the end of CC when they pick up Genesis they seem like normal SOLDIER dudes out on a mission

Nero was born with his powers and even absorbed his mother into his darkness at birth. Not sure on Weiss, but he should of had his power by the time they recovered Genesis seeing as that was only a few months before their rebellion. My understanding is that Shinra removes their restraints whenever they have a mission for them. In Crisis Core, I think the devs just used stock SOLDIER 1st Class character models for Weiss and Nero to save time and resources.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
DG keep Weiss and Nero locked up less because they don't have control of *themselves* and more because they want out of Deepground... and so does everyone else in Deepground. And Weiss is... way more powerful than anyone else in Deepground. There's a complicated mix of things keeping Weiss where he is including... basicly a shock collar and a dead-man switch primed to go off if all of the Restrictors end up dead at the same time. And he's chained up to the mako reactor core most of the time too.

Nero is chained up because he *supposedly* doesn't have control over his dark mako... which can teleport people into the Lifestream and just... leave them there (or teleport *himself* around). Only... he gets unrestrained in DoC and has control of his mako just fine. So I'm more thinking he's kept locked up so he doesn't kill the Restrictors himself.

It's worth noting that Vincent having the Proto-Materia is a plot point because that is what allows him to stay in control of Chaos. The reason the Tsivets want the Proto-Materia themselves is so Weiss (Hojo really) can control Omega... which... seems to imply that Omega could control Weiss if he *doesn't* have the Proto-Materia himself. Vincent also has spent... the past 30 years with both Chaos and the Proto-Materia in him while Weiss has only spent a few hours with Omega. And most of that was when he wasn't in control of himself, but while Hojo was. Who knows what Nero "combining" with Wiess did for his mentality either. Basically, Weiss is under a lot of mental stress during the entire game and it's not surprising something gave way at the end.

On top of all of that... the Omega that gets "created" isn't even the *actual* Omega weapon. Due to the circumstances surrounding how it was made, it was made "wrong" and was a being that wanted to destroy stuff rather than... take the Lifestream to another Planet like it was supposed to. So that might have also made things... weird (check out the DoC: Interview With the Creators for that stuff).

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Ok experts. Please explain what the hell this means: -"Guided by the calls of a Planet, the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn" .

What is the context of this statement? It seems like this is perhaps a nod to the fact that the Whispers are now gone from every point in the timeline, leading to new events even in the past....

"the gears of a new Destiny".

*anxiety intensifies*

Didn't we have enough of this destiny/fate crap in XIII, FFXV, and KH already..

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
That is the one million dollar question.

Though I specially like the phrasing: "Guided by the calls of the Planet". Seems Gaia still has it's sense of importance in all of this.
Yes! Gaia indeed is still reaching out.

One of the more confusing aspects of Remake is, what is the relationship between Aerith, Gaia, and Sephiroth? If Avalanche was fighting against destiny, doesn't that kinda mean we're fighting against the planet? Or at least, disagreeing with it? If Sephiroth is an enemy, then the Planet becomes a type of nemesis or another character we are in tension with.

My headcanon explanation is as follows:
1) the Planet is still a relatively good character, albiet it, something divine and beyond the conventions of good and evil. Meaning, it does what it has to to preserve itself and life, even at the expense of some of its inhabitants (think WEAPONs, Holy, etc which sometimes go to war with humanity).

2) JenovaRoth has infected the Lifestream and the Planet in its travels through the Lifestream. This has resulted in some spirit energy, souls, and memories become corrupted and under the influence of JenovaRoth. This is why some Whispers are Dark and "normal" while others are Purple. Purple clearly indicates a type of Jenova infection. This could explain why the Whispers were generally trying to influence Sephiroth away from changing the fate it destined for itself, but also why some Whispers appear to go against it (see chapter 4 end, where one Whisper in the voice of Sephiroth almost whispers lullabies to Cloud, keeping him sleeping).

3) I think the fact that the Whispers look scary is a sign that the planet is unwell, and is, dying. Aerith says, after the Whispers scream aloud in chapter 18:

What you heard just now were the voices of the planet. Those born into this world, who lived and who died. Who returned. They're howling in pain.

Cloud says explicitly in response: "Because of him? Sephiroth?" Aerith nods in agreement, and explains why Sephiroth is unaffected by their influence, unlike how they can influence others.

They... their words... they don't reach him. All these moments and memories, precious and fleeting... they're like rain rolling off his back. And when they're gone, he won't cry... or shout... or anything. He'd tell you that he only cares about the planet. That he'd do everything in his power to protect and preserve it. But this isn't the way it's supposed to be. There's no greater threat to the planet than him.

The last line seems clear that Sephiroth is not trying to destroy the planet, but preserve it in the way he think best. This will naturally result in the destruction or the corruption of Life, including the Whispers and the Lifestream.

Note: This is why I do not believe Sephiroth is after the black materia. He does not want to destroy the planet anylonger, but has something else in mind. The reason why he scares the party with images of Meteor is precisely to get them to chase him. He needs something else from them.... I'm more confident in this because, why would the devs spoil the ending of Remake already?

4. This is the part that is very confusing. Finally, to stop Sephiroth/Jenova and their corrupting influence, Aerith realizes that they have to destroy the Whispers. But does this mean Aerith is against the Planet, since the Whispers are just remnants of the Lifestream that carry out the planet's will? We need clarification on what these Whispers truly are. My gut tells me, they are simply WEAPONs of the planet, and not the planet's will itself. Just like the party destroyed Ultima WEAPON and Diamond WEAPON in OG, this does not mean you are fighting the planet itself, but rather it's misguided efforts to preserve itself at all costs. Meaning, if the Whispers are destroyed, the planet's will is intact and can be convinced to see a better path.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I can totally see the ending climax of episode being another perspective, this case Yuffie's, of the whole Whisper explosion. It would actually be cool af tbh

I'm sure they can also make it have some effect on Weiss&company.

"the gears of a new Destiny".

*anxiety intensifies*

Didn't we have enough of this destiny/fate crap in XIII, FFXV, and KH already..
Every Square game tbh. You know they like fancy words. Destiny, Light&Darkness, time loops. Aka symbolic mojo

Yes! Gaia indeed is still reaching out.

One of the more confusing aspects of Remake is, what is the relationship between Aerith, Gaia, and Sephiroth? If Avalanche was fighting against destiny, doesn't that kinda mean we're fighting against the planet? Or at least, disagreeing with it? If Sephiroth is an enemy, then the Planet becomes a type of nemesis or another character we are in tension with.

My headcanon explanation is as follows:
1) the Planet is still a relatively good character, albiet it, something divine and beyond the conventions of good and evil. Meaning, it does what it has to to preserve itself and life, even at the expense of some of its inhabitants (think WEAPONs, Holy, etc which sometimes go to war with humanity).

2) JenovaRoth has infected the Lifestream and the Planet in its travels through the Lifestream. This has resulted in some spirit energy, souls, and memories become corrupted and under the influence of JenovaRoth. This is why some Whispers are Dark and "normal" while others are Purple. Purple clearly indicates a type of Jenova infection. This could explain why the Whispers were generally trying to influence Sephiroth away from changing the fate it destined for itself, but also why some Whispers appear to go against it (see chapter 4 end, where one Whisper in the voice of Sephiroth almost whispers lullabies to Cloud, keeping him sleeping).

3) I think the fact that the Whispers look scary is a sign that the planet is unwell, and is, dying. Aerith says, after the Whispers scream aloud in chapter 18:

Cloud says explicitly in response: "Because of him? Sephiroth?" Aerith nods in agreement, and explains why Sephiroth is unaffected by their influence, unlike how they can influence others.

The last line seems clear that Sephiroth is not trying to destroy the planet, but preserve it in the way he think best. This will naturally result in the destruction or the corruption of Life, including the Whispers and the Lifestream.

Note: This is why I do not believe Sephiroth is after the black materia. He does not want to destroy the planet anylonger, but has something else in mind. The reason why he scares the party with images of Meteor is precisely to get them to chase him. He needs something else from them.... I'm more confident in this because, why would the devs spoil the ending of Remake already?

4. This is the part that is very confusing. Finally, to stop Sephiroth/Jenova and their corrupting influence, Aerith realizes that they have to destroy the Whispers. But does this mean Aerith is against the Planet, since the Whispers are just remnants of the Lifestream that carry out the planet's will? We need clarification on what these Whispers truly are. My gut tells me, they are simply WEAPONs of the planet, and not the planet's will itself. Just like the party destroyed Ultima WEAPON and Diamond WEAPON in OG, this does not mean you are fighting the planet itself, but rather it's misguided efforts to preserve itself at all costs. Meaning, if the Whispers are destroyed, the planet's will is intact and can be convinced to see a better path.
I think the Whispers being some kind of Weapon to the Planet still makes so much sense to me, it's hard to drop it. I imagine Square made them to have a balance of compromise between their in-universe purpose and also the metalinguistic commentary they wanted to express. Them confirming that the mystery is still not fully revealed also hints that we will have a proper definition of them at some point.

to anyone's happiness or sadness

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I think the Whispers being some kind of Weapon to the Planet still makes so much sense to me, it's hard to drop it. I imagine Square made them to have a balance of compromise between their in-universe purpose and also the metalinguistic commentary they wanted to express. Them confirming that the mystery is still not fully revealed also hints that we will have a proper definition of them at some point.

to anyone's happiness or sadness

Good take. I think i'm going to like it in the end. The fact that the souls within the Lifestream are now one with the planet and trying to do what's best for it... is super interesting. Destiny embodied.

Reactions: oty

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Ok experts. Please explain what the hell this means: -"Guided by the calls of a Planet, the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn" .

I think it means exactly what it says. The characters were on a path, that has now been changed. What that previous path was, is whatever they thought it was. Not necessarily what we thought it was.

BTW: I still think this game is a remake of the OG and not a sequel to DoC

"Guided by the calls of the Planet, the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn"

Crack plot twist: After his encounter with Minerva, Genesis is now attuned with the will of the Planet (or at least one major avatar of it). The destruction of the Whispers cause the Planet to awaken Genesis early and so the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn. :awesome:

Super crack plot twist: Yuffie's and Sonon's shenanigans end up releasing Deepground and possibly awakening Genesis. This is why the Whispers all circle like mad in- and around the Shinra HQ near the end of FFVIIR Part 1: They are in fact doing everything they can to prevent Deepground and Genesis from getting above ground early. Then Sephiroth does his schtick, the Whispers are forced to direct their attentions elsewhere, and thus Deepground and Genesis emerge three years earlier than they are supposed to.

At this point I'm almost thankful to Square for giving me a good reason to come up with crackpot theories. Square just opened up Pandora's Box to such an extent with the ending of FFVIIR Part 1 that there are almost no limits to what could happen. I hate it but I also love it now, in the way that a madman laughs maniacally at seeing a tapestry fall apart.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Big thing about it is that it doesn't stick the Planet itself on the side of "Destiny should *not* be changed". Instead it makes the Planet out to be something that is... actively wanting Destiny to change into something different. So... it doesn't look like Aerith (or whoever is changing stuff) is going against the Planet. They are instead working with the Planet to change things.

Only thing is... there isn't a lot characters who actually can hear the Planet in a... meaningful way as to understand its intent. Aerith is the only confirmed one who can do so as a Cetra. The only other character who kinda does that is... Genesis. Who is specificly waiting under Midgar for the Planet to need him...

Funny how Yuffie is heading to the one place who has people who know where he is...

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
"Guided by the calls of the Planet, the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn"

Crack plot twist: After his encounter with Minerva, Genesis is now attuned with the will of the Planet (or at least one major avatar of it). The destruction of the Whispers cause the Planet to awaken Genesis early and so the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn. :awesome:

Super crack plot twist: Yuffie's and Sonon's shenanigans end up releasing Deepground and possibly awakening Genesis. This is why the Whispers all circle like mad in- and around the Shinra HQ near the end of FFVIIR Part 1: They are in fact doing everything they can to prevent Deepground and Genesis from getting above ground early. Then Sephiroth does his schtick, the Whispers are forced to direct their attentions elsewhere, and thus Deepground and Genesis emerge three years earlier than they are supposed to.

At this point I'm almost thankful to Square for giving me a good reason to come up with crackpot theories. Square just opened up Pandora's Box to such an extent with the ending of FFVIIR Part 1 that there are almost no limits to what could happen. I hate it but I also love it now, in the way that a madman laughs maniacally at seeing a tapestry fall apart.

I'm a fan of the first twist :)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I really think it's just a tagline that describes the uniqueness of the scenario in terms that correspond with the Remake.

As in, Yuffie, one of the heroes of FFVII who were thematically "guided by the planet," is starting a new adventure/destiny in the scenario of the Remake.

It's reminiscent of the tagline of the FFVII-R Ultimania. "A Reunion With Your Memories." It's a fancy way of stating this is a brand new development to FFVII.

Top Bottom