FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The thing is...60fps feels like it is a higher framerate than REALITY ITSELF, contradictory though that may sound. :wacky: So whenever it pops up I always have to take some time to adjust.
The current image quality on TV also looks way more crisp and colorful than reality. It's distracting.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Higher frame rates look like little people actually moving and doing stuff in my tv.
Yeah, and that's weird as fuck.

I want shit on my TV to look better than real life, not like real life in miniature (or real life snorting coke).

Remember how we all used to make fun of the making-of behind-the-scenes footage on VHS movies that included that sort of thing as a bonus feature? Now people are paying extra to have their whole movie look like that. =|

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah see people always say all this stuff but I don't know that I would ever notice if it weren't pointed out and then shown to me side-by-side, lol

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I think the 60 FPS footage shown so far is actually off. The video is doing some sort of interpolation similar to the options available on Smart TVs these days, like motion smoothing. This makes the images look smooth but almost robotic and weird.

Real true 60 FPS with a good motion blur technique looks far better than what they showed in the trailers. I’m hoping it’s a video thing and won’t be a problem in the game itself.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Once you get used to playing at 60 FPS (or higher than that), you really start to notice when it's not that. Granted, I play on PC all the time, so anything that's as low as 30 FPS automatically looks like it's artificially slow. Remake looks... laggy... all the time when I watch cutscenes thanks to that.

And yeah, what Ultima786 said, *simulated* 60 FPS on trailers never looks like what it looks like on a screen rendering it in real time. Or rather... when it's rendering all the things like lighting, fog, partical effect, etc. It doesn't feel forcibly "faster", it just feels like everything is moving unhindered.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Once you get used to playing at 60 FPS (or higher than that), you really start to notice when it's not that. Granted, I play on PC all the time, so anything that's as low as 30 FPS automatically looks like it's artificially slow. Remake looks... laggy... all the time when I watch cutscenes thanks to that.

And yeah, what Ultima786 said, *simulated* 60 FPS on trailers never looks like what it looks like on a screen rendering it in real time. Or rather... when it's rendering all the things like lighting, fog, partical effect, etc. It doesn't feel forcibly "faster", it just feels like everything is moving unhindered.
So you agree that the actual ps5 version on our TVs will look fine? That’s my personal bet.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
More than likely. So many of the "annoying textures/graphics" of Remake are things the PC modding community has been fixing for over 20 years. In large part because PC gaming in general doesn't have the hardware limitations consoles are subject too.

But like... yeah... when it comes to actually rendering things... it always looks much, much smoother on your own screen than on the trailers. Especially when they're going out of their way to make the differences between 30 FPS and 60 FPS "visible".

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I suspect Remake will default to the 60fps mode, like most games this generation. If you play with that setting for a bit, then switch to the 4k/30fps mode, you might have that "oh shit I can't go back" moment. This appears to be the generation where even "fps meh-sayers" are seeing the difference. A journalist I follow had that experience anyway.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My inclination would definitely be to go for the high graphics mode rather than high frame rates. But also I don't have a 4K tv so I dunno that that really matters either
:shrug:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's incredible, and I can appreciate that...

But I don't need to feel like there's less than 1 cm of glass between me and my games. There's a point where high definition is just diminishing returns. I see no reason to shell out more money for 4K when high def 1080p still looks incredible to me.

All I see is Cloud judging me at this point.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
That's incredible, and I can appreciate that...

But I don't need to feel like there's less than 1 cm of glass between me and my games. There's a point where high definition is just diminishing returns. I see no reason to shell out more money for 4K when high def 1080p still looks incredible to me.

All I see is Cloud judging me at this point.
Personally i think 4K is worth it. After this, i agree with you. We don't need much more than this. Just focus on quality of life features, like getting rid of pop-in, load times, and focus on the experiences.

I remember back around 2017 or 2018 when Nomura made comments about having only *just* decided on Cloud's final look for Remake. I rolled my eyes at the seeming tardiness and maniacal aim for artistic perfection. That might still be a legitimate issue that has been (and may continue) to be at play, but I can't argue with the results. Those shots of the final Cloud model, particularly when he is looking straight at the camera, pulls at my nostalgia strings on a fundamental level.

Back when playing the original game I constructed this vague mental image of Cloud and the rest of the team based on their profile pictures in the main menu. It was an idea that stuck in my head moreso than how they were rendered on the field, in battle or in the FMVs.

cloud-menu-profile-og.png

The way Cloud's head was ultimately rendered for Remake continuously make me think back to that mental image I had of Cloud in the late 90s and early 00s whenever I opened up the main menu or looked at my save files. With the exception that I pictured Cloud looking slightly dirtier and "grittier", perhaps due to how the low-resolution 2D graphics of the original game got stretched on my TV, Remake Cloud manages to capture my OG Cloud to 97% accuracy.

The final Remake-Cloud design was amazing to look at back when we finally got FF7R trailers again and it's amazing to look at today.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I had absolutely no issue playing vanilla 7R at 30fps - it's a stable experience overall and I don't recall ever feeling short-changed in terms of input lag or a lack of responsiveness in controls. Performance mode looked very slick in the Intergrade trailer, but ultimately it depends on if it's going to maintain a stable 60fps or not; if it stutters all the time due to frame drops then you're as well keeping it on 30 and benefitting from the resolution boost, really.

At the very least it shows Square are keeping up with the trends in terms of options for players though, which will hopefully follow through to XVI. If that game's as action-based as it seems to be, then a performance mode could be more of a necessity.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The remake designs always capture the essence of their original charm in ways that mid-2000s compilation did not, though ironically I’m also nostalgic for that era now. Though I’m glad to see the spirit of the original designs back in action. When I saw Yuffie in her original outfit, the same emotions came back - with that in mind, I can’t wait to see what they have for the other remaining party members.

As far as the whole “capturing a new destiny” thing, is it bad I’m still clinging onto that FFVII-R Ultimania quote about Nomura saying the events of the game won’t be unrecognizable?

Also, I’m all onboard the 4K 60 FPS train now, but I’ll be downgrading when I move to Japan because I’ll have to buy new appliances anyway.

Top Bottom