• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
... (off topic) I still can't believe the ridiculousness of Genesis's clothes degrading with his body. Even his copy's clothes degrade. One of two things is happening here:

1) It's not clothes, it's Genesis's actual skin

or

2) He contacts a manufacturer to make him custom clothes at various degradation stages. Can you imagine that phone call? "Hi yes I'd like to place an order for 100 stage 3 degradation coats. Have them shipped to Banora. Yep, just leave them by the dumbapple tree at the edge of the Lifestream pit."

Last edited:
If I google "Final Fantasy 7 Genesis" I barely get a single picture of Genesis in his degraded form, so it can't be a visual error that make the newcomers mistake Weiss for Genesis.

My assessment is that there's been a flawed cultural osmosis after the release of Remake and that may be why people are shouting "Is that Genesis?!" when Weiss appears. Genesis has become this sort of meme representing That-Which-Must-Not-Exist-In-Canon to a lot of people and is sometimes described as "Sephiroth if he was boring".
Fun fact: In the Dirge speedrunning community, Weiss (not Genesis) is sometimes referred to as "Diet Sephiroth". :monster:

Via Twitter and YouTube newcomers to FF7 get exposed to the controversial topic with few to no images/screenshots to accompany in it. So when this super-muscled dude shows up who looks like Sephiroth, the newcomers conclude that it's Genesis based purely on the memes and outcries of old fans yelling "PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE GENESIS!"

What Obsidian Fire points out is true as well, when considering fans who are well-versed in the lore. The moment Weiss showed up, many fans (me included) immediately thought "Does this mean Genesis will appear as well?!?!"

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
My thing has never been, 'Genesis should never show up because it'll be bad and he'll curse us all like Sadako.'

It's been 'there's almost zero way for Genesis to show up, its pointless to expect him to be central to the plot and if he did show up, it'd be limited and outside the main FFVII plot given his resolution.'

Now, it's 2021 and we have a special DLC episode with Yuffie undercover in Midgar, trying to pilfer a Huge Materia with AVALANCHE HQ from what's likely Mako Reactor 0, and Deepground is dispatched.

That's just the once-in-a-thoussand-year planetary alignment sidestory that could actually use a Genesis cameo, make it make sense, and not distract from the main FFVII storyline.

I don't see it as a problem. They can make it work, and I'm extremely curious to see them do it. It actually looks like fun.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
But how many people got to play Dierge of Cerberus?

I investigated this a bit. Don't take my final calculation seriously, there's lots of leaps in my logic.

Dirge sales in 2008 (from Wikipedia):
  • 460,000 units in North America
  • 270,000 units in Europe
  • 513,000 units in Japan
Total: 1,243,000 units

In August last year, Square announced that Remake shipped 5,000,000 units.

1,243,000 / 5,000,000 = .2486

If we assume everyone who bought a copy of Dirge also bought a copy of Remake (big assumption here lol), then only ~25% of Remake players have previously encountered Weiss.

But wait! Not everyone completes the games they buy and Weiss doesn't appear properly until late in the story. The FF fandom is pretty good on this front. Over 50% of players completed Remake, judging from its trophy acquisition percentage. Let's be generous and apply that to Dirge.

.2486 x .5 = ~12.5% percent of Remake players have previously encountered Weiss. Again, not a good analysis (like, it doesn't account for everyone who watched the movie version on YouTube), but it should show that Weiss is real niche even among Remake's audience.

Last edited:
Vyzz has presented the speculation that the Deepground dome visible in the trailer is in fact the Remake version of the Mako Reactor 0 dome from Dirge of Cerberus.

48:24 - 49:30

It's a tenuous visual connection at best but I appreciate the creativity behind it. If it *is* the Mako Reactor 0 dome, then they have seriously downsized the scale of the area compared to Dirge of Cerberus. Though given that one of the main complaints against Deepground in Dirge is the sheer ludicrous scale of the army and the underground base, downsizing the area would actually adjust to this reasonable complaint.

Personally I hope that the dome here in Remake merely leads to an elevator down into the *actual* Deepground city and that Yuffie and Sonon will not be allowed to advance beyond this point.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's a tenuous visual connection at best but I appreciate the creativity behind it. If it *is* the Mako Reactor 0 dome, then they have seriously downsized the scale of the area compared to Dirge of Cerberus. Though given that one of the main complaints against Deepground in Dirge is the sheer ludicrous scale of the army and the underground base, downsizing the area would actually adjust to this reasonable complaint.

One shouldn't expect precise visual fidelity, after all Dirge is 15 years old so they're going to upgrade the appearance of it's key locations, just like they did for FFVII. I think it's very likely that corresponding dome is Mako Reactor 0's main entrance given the design similarities and the blue color tone in the area, which is indicative of mako reactors in the Remake. Given the brief glimpse of the scene, I don't think you can get an accurate sense of scale. There's a lot off screen and we don't know how much space was covered to even reach that area. And I see no reason they'd cut back the scale or size of Deepground. If anything, they'd add to it. They don't care about that, it's the "deep darkness of Shinra."

Man, I called Mako Reactor 0 being the important setting of Intergrade and this observation really points to it. This is gonna be a very interesting showdown that takes place. And it also explains how Yuffie was able to make her way to Weiss as fast Vincent did with no help at all. She's been there.

Yuffie snuck into Sector 0's Mako Reactor. And that's why Deepground shows up. They live there.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
They showed the Dirge of Cerberus version because that was the only visual that existed for it at the time. They couldn't spoil their upcoming content after all.

I agree that that is more than likely Mako Reactor 0. I figured that scene took place underground Sector 0 leading towards it, given there was mako beneath them, but that visual design cue really, really points to that being the corresponding location in the game.

They're in Deepground. More than likely at the entrance to Weiss' throne.

Top Bottom