FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, I can easily admit a game's pretty mediocre and a surprisingly poor example of it's genre, while unironically enjoying it's surface storyline because it centers around a character I like and the character designs of everyone else amuse the fuck out of me :monster:

It sorta surprises me how some think that because Dirge was a weak PS2 game, it'll somehow mean this is going to be a weak PS5 game when they're nothing alike save for being unsurprisingly, in the same continuity, sharing some characters and some concepts. Just because the previous entry was poor doesn't mean any future work utilizing elements from it will just repeat the same result. It's just unfortunately condemnation by association. Thankfully, DC didn't do so badly that it pulled a Sonic 06/Rise of Lyric/Forces and just annihilate any sense of positive hype that may come from a future title.

Hell, Star Wars Attack of the Clones was a pretty bad movie, however the Clone Wars series was pretty damn good. I'd say better than the movie. That's another example of a future work based on trash actually turning into treasure :monster:

That was my deepest, longshot wish that I wanted Part 1 to do with what existed in DC, given the expansion of Midgar was the best and most opportune moment to do it, and the Remake could breath new, quality life into it. Between the proximity to Deepground, the virtual combat simulator and just perfect alignment of events, I figured it was a longshot wish but it'd be the best chance. I'm so glad my wish turned out answered :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'll go so far as to say it's broadly pretty good for several levels. It does kinda go off the rails though and the pacing pretty undeniably goes to shit.

And, while FF7 is demonstrably very "anime," Dirge is a lot more shameless about it, lol. I mean the ensemble villains consisting of
  • 19 year-old girl that stopped aging and so looks 10
  • Beefy dude that uses a tank cannon and can turn into a behemoth
  • Goth guy who has to be restrained because his vaguely-established darkness powers are too much to control
  • Leader dude with spiky silver hair and dual-wielded gunblades
  • Hot, sadistic, unstable lady who's all about teh killin'
You'd have a hard time outdoing that in a Gurren Lagann-style anime self-parody.

I like Dirge more than the consensus, I'm just saying...I get it :lol:

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I take full responsibility. My regular postings about DoC have desensitized the people to the game's shittiness and nurtured a familiarity with the setting and the characters.

No, that's not quite it. In fact, it had the opposite effect on me!
I remember a few years back your DoC content actually made me wanna replay the game and give it another shot. I didn't last very long and downgraded my assessment of the game from "mediocre" to "actually bad" :lol:

Upon further reflection, I think for me it's that

a) they're being used in a side story that is somewhat isolated from the FFVII "main" plot. It's a completely original chapter that is not adapted from the original game therefore I have no preconceived notions of what should happen. I give them more free rein to go nuts here.

b) they may be shitty characters but with the VIIR battle system they're gonna be awesome bosses :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Episode Yuffie is the perfect analog to an anime/manga gaiden OVA or chapter that while separate from the main story, is interesting and worth experiencing.

For those interested, it is an added bonus that's fun, interesting and entertaining. For those that aren't, they can just skip :monster:

With that thematic in mind, it makes sense DC would be relevant to it since it is also the most gaiden-like entry in the Compilation of FFVII. Aside from Vincent and the re-examination of his relationship with Lucrecia, a lot of DC is new narrative unconnected to the original FFVII plot.

And, while FF7 is demonstrably very "anime," Dirge is a lot more shameless about it, lol. I mean the ensemble villains consisting of
  • 19 year-old girl that stopped aging and so looks 10
  • Beefy dude that uses a tank cannon and can turn into a behemoth
  • Goth guy who has to be restrained because his vaguely-established darkness powers are too much to control
  • Leader dude with spiky silver hair and dual-wielded gunblades
  • Hot, sadistic, unstable lady who's all about teh killin'
You'd have a hard time outdoing that in a Gurren Lagann-style anime self-parody.

Don't forget that Square decided to make a character modeled after Gackt, who also did two main tracks for the game's soundtrack. Like, I'm not sure what gripped Square during that time but they just went all in... For better or worst. At the very least, it was the good kinda bad that's still enjoyable in all its anime-esque narm-y charm. Entertaining as hell and JRPG fun when you're just looking to let go and simply indulge in a guilty adolescent pleasure.

It wasn't just pain and terribleness akin to let's say.... A poor Sonic game from 2006 that just not only is terrible, but almost bizarrely soulless. :monster:

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Side note about how making "digital" copies of people on the network goes... It's kinda like a digital clone of someone's brain-sate at the moment of upload. Including their emotions. Hojo's "digital" copy isn't really "him". It's just a copy of his brain as it was the night he was killed.

So Weiss in the VR probably isn't actually Weiss while he's doing SND. A "digital" copy of him? Sure. Him while he's SNDing? No. It's probably some old combat data of his if anything...

I really don't think Weiss is SNDing while we're fighting him in the VR room. Mainly because... why the hell would Restrictor let him SND in the first place? That's part of why he's chained up all the time. He *hates* Shinra and if he did SND, he'd try to use whatever network he is in to take Restrictor down.

Which was exactly what Shelke did (and got away with)! She did SND on the AI that runs DG's computers and introduced a virus into it that allowed the Tsivets to turn off the restrictor chips of one person when they were installed. Trying to turn off any more than that would have alerted the AI that she was in the system... Only reason Restritor doesn't keep Shelke locked up is because her emotions are all but non-existant and she still needs mako to live. So they've got way more control over her (they think) then they do with Weiss... who is the definition of a loose canon and experiments Going Horribly Right.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Genesis will be announced whenever the part 2 trailer drops.

Considering that lesser known characters like Leslie and Kyrie are in the main game, and lesser popular characters like Weiss and Nero are in the DLC, I no longer have any doubts that Genesis will be featured in some capacity in this series. If not a main game, then definitely a DLC. Especially since Nojima has expressed interest in revisiting areas from Crisis Core (big interview).

Last edited:

Kuraudo.

Panta rei
Aerith's Rod disappear and appear from combat scene to walking scene, I'm not sure what you mean with "she keeps on her person"

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Maybe she summons her Shuriken willingly like how in the KH universe every Keyblade wielder or non-Keyblade wielders(Donald and Goofy being the only ones doing so, though) summon their weapons, or like in Final Fantasy XV where Noctis and his friends summon their weapons.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I like that that's specifically a quality of the keyblade (and the Lucian royal line), though. I mean I don't have a problem with them disappearing and it being left to us to accept it as a gameplay abstraction, but I don't want them to have an particle effect summon animation if the weapon isn't specifically magical, if that makes sense.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I thought Aerith put her Rod inside her

jacket....:whistle:

But seriously, where does Yuffie keep her Shuriken? I don't think I have seen her keeping it attached on her back outside of battles, when exploring.
I have seen it appear from thin air when she throws it to destroy boxes.
play it at "playback speed 0.25"
What's interesting is that when it comes back to her hand after throwing it, the blades all retract towards the center after a moment.

Maybe the whole thing collapses or something, I dunno.

Top Bottom