• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake PlayStation 4 Exclusive until April 10th, 2021

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Update: It comes to no surprise that the time of exclusivity has changed as a result to the delay. The game will be exclusive to PlayStation until April 10th 2021. Up to date packshot included

A new packshot for FFVII Remake supplied by the Square Enix Press Site sports a nifty exclusivity badge indicating the title will remain exclusive to PS4 for a full year. Well, I suppose it could technically also come to PS5 in that time as well.
FF7R_PS4_2D_v2.jpg

Attachments

• FF7_PS4_2D_v2_-_Copy.jpg
    FF7_PS4_2D_v2_-_Copy.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Tfw you have to wait an extra year for a full priced game
:tearingmeapart:

Edit: I think my roommate has a PS4, may ask if she's interested in buying the game and if I can rent the whole thing :monster:

Reactions: Ite

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Tfw you have to wait an extra year for a full priced game
:tearingmeapart:

Edit: I think my roommate has a PS4, may ask if she's interested in buying the game and if I can rent the whole thing :monster:

That’s what I was thinking when you said you were gonna wait for PC.

I hope that “exclusive” badge doesn’t come on the box art. It’s so frustrating when brand new releases come covered in “NOMINATED FOR A WIGGLY AWARD” and “AS SEEN ON MAURY” or whatever. Save it for the GotY, ya froth-mouthed marketing team.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I hope that'll wind up as a sticker on the physical case. If not, I guess I'll print the previous version of the cover, as I really don't like it being part of the cover image.

Timed exclusivity on the PS4 is interesting, but it did have "Play it first on PlayStation 4" in the trailer. That said I still think this should've been a PS5 day-one launch title rather than for a console that's going to be outdated 8 or so months after FFVIIR releases. People wouldn't complain about re-buying it if they re-release it on the PS5 with better/updated graphics (I'm hoping the graphics will look better for all PS5 titles compared to the PS4 and I have no qualms about re-buying it as long as it's an improved version) and of course Sony would get even higher PS5 sales.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Highly unusual to advertise the time limit on exclusivity, that's normally something they don't advertise. Good to know how long it'll be though! Looking forward to ultrawide FFVII in 2021 XD

Scribe

All Materia Peddler
AKA
ScribeTheTaru
Sony might have approached SE with some funding offers for the FFVII Remake in exchange for each title to be delayed on other systems.

FFVII has Sony DNA anyway IMO and is, for me, the reason I bought a PlayStation and I own a PS4 so I'm nostalgic even about the exclusivity. I hated that console compared to the N64, until this game. I'm lucky I never got into the Xbox heavily.

The exclusivity is a really smart business move for a game of this fame (if they are able to match or surpass the original).

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I hope that'll wind up as a sticker on the physical case. If not, I guess I'll print the previous version of the cover, as I really don't like it being part of the cover image.

Timed exclusivity on the PS4 is interesting, but it did have "Play it first on PlayStation 4" in the trailer. That said I still think this should've been a PS5 day-one launch title rather than for a console that's going to be outdated 8 or so months after FFVIIR releases. People wouldn't complain about re-buying it if they re-release it on the PS5 with better/updated graphics (I'm hoping the graphics will look better for all PS5 titles compared to the PS4 and I have no qualms about re-buying it as long as it's an improved version) and of course Sony would get even higher PS5 sales.

It's much safer to release it on a console with over 100 million users already than it is on a new console. Plus it will generate hype for the PS5 since (I assume) the other parts will be timed exclusives as well and it will give people a reason to buy a PS5 a couple years after playing FFVIIR1

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Although I'm happy to know it'll be coming to PC eventually, I'm still going to get the PS4 version first. Matches up with my experience with the original, where I played it first on PS1 and then eventually the PC version. Can't wait for March!

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
There was a lot of discussion about this a while ago due to the dropping of the 'play it first' trademark on the trailers following the re-reveal, along with several other hints throughout the years. I was quite adamant that the original exclusive deal had expired and they were trying to come to a new deal. I theorized that by the end of this year we would find out that the Remake was no longer exclusive. Nice to see that I was partly right. Looks like they have cobbled together a limited exclusivity deal now.

Either way, that is very strange to make that an advertising point. There's no reason to do that unless you are going to start advertising soon that the game will be available on other platforms.

Reactions: Ite

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
There was a lot of discussion about this a while ago due to the dropping of the 'play it first' trademark on the trailers following the re-reveal, along with several other hints throughout the years. I was quite adamant that the original exclusive deal had expired and they were trying to come to a new deal. I theorized that by the end of this year we would find out that the Remake was no longer exclusive. Nice to see that I was partly right. Looks like they have cobbled together a limited exclusivity deal now.

Everyone always knew "play it first" meant limited exclusivity. What exactly changed except we now know how long the exclusivity is for?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Everyone always knew "play it first" meant limited exclusivity. What exactly changed except we now know how long the exclusivity is for?

Yeah even that E3 presenter from 2015 said “FF7 Remake is coming exclusively to the PlayStation 4” or sommat (I almost looked the exact quote and nearly forgot that I’m boycotting YouTube right now, eff me it’s hard to do!)

I remember thinking back in 2015 ‘They’re gonna have to hurry to get it out before PS5 then!’ And oh ho ho would you lookit that, it’s among the console’s last batch of games.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

The original statement was for ps4 exclusivity. Then it became Play It First. Then it was dropped altogether from the trailers.

It was obvious that the original deals had expired due to the development of the Remake, but you had people adamant that it would still be a ps4 exclusive.

Its now confirmed 100% to be a timed exclusive. That it was has changed.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The original statement was for ps4 exclusivity. Then it became Play It First. Then it was dropped altogether from the trailers.

It was obvious that the original deals had expired due to the development of the Remake, but you had people adamant that it would still be a ps4 exclusive.

Its now confirmed 100% to be a timed exclusive. That it was has changed.

It was "PS4 first" from the very beginning though. It's in the reveal trailer and Adam Boyes also said "is coming first to PlayStation 4".

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Where it was established that it was still a timed exclusive as the phrase was still used by Square Enix very recently, yes.

As I said, nothing has changed really

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Hidden in the SE press release and not in any trailers which sparked the discussion. Most likely the deal had expired and they were in the middle of re-negotiations.

If you always realised it was timed, good for you ... a lot didnt.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Hidden in the SE press release and not in any trailers which sparked the discussion. Most likely the deal had expired and they were in the middle of re-negotiations.

Doubtful imo as it wouldn't even have been in the press release then.

From all the evidence we have...absolutely nothing has changed really.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Good for you. I think it has. The removal of such significant promotion doesnt just get dumped. Its nice to now have 100% confirmation that we now have a years exclusivity deal.

Top Bottom