Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
dNKrWd1.jpeg

Version 0.9 IRO Download

About the Mod

This mod for Final Fantasy VII has been created to accomplish two things:

First, it offers a full (up through the lifestream sequence in the current version) retranslation of the game's text that fixes mistakes in the original English translation; improves tonal accuracy using idiomatic language; and conforms to the localization choices of the Compilation and Remake trilogy where applicable to ensure continuity through the Final Fantasy VII series. The goal of this retranslation is to give English players a narrative experience and foundation of lore that is as close as possible to that of Japanese-speaking players.

Second, and optionally, this mod restores numerous events, maps, animations, puzzles, and lines of dialogue that were cut from the final release. In 99 cases out of 100, this content has been mined from the original game files themselves. Only when absolutely necessary have the authors of this mod supplied the minimum amount of additional assets to ensure the functionality of the official scrapped elements. A full spreadsheet of this mod's script is available on Google drive, with unofficial dialogue clearly demarcated. Unused content restoration goes up to the end of the game, but content past the point of the current version has not been thoroughly tested.

This mod requires the 7th Heaven mod loader to be used.

This mod is still a work in progress. Currently the retranslation only covers up through the end of Disc 1.

Custom facial expression system requires latest FFNx canary to work.

Example Images of Contents [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Main Contents

Fully Retranslated Script

mTFarbx.png
4MLMmIU.png

N0G0oK7.png
hmy5DnL.png

oTH3oPV.png
5jjk0Rw.png

pBfUNTW.png
Avo5cGh.png

5qodh0o.png
fBv4CQj.png

jhiKoGx.png

Parity With Compilation of FFVII, Remake and Rebirth Localizations
As mentioned, in spots where the Japanese is the same or partially the same between the original FFVII and Remake / Rebirth, we have opted to use the official localization of those lines to create a sense of cohesion akin to what the Japanese side of things has. This also extends to the other Compilation entries, but Remake—as the most recent FFVII entry—gets priority.

2ekODlx.png
UHHLwI7.png

j8lDUVq.png
B6IB4bc.png

Yy91MUB.png
YoRn7tw.png

bY253jf.png
4fvYLD3.png

PzO92kQ.png
WKxPRIi.png

59YUvpE.png
ffupbfv.png

zxpswzv.png
r6yH060.png

0mOk2So.png
yNkU4YG.png

UL3Vped.png
dQw8Hpa.png

3FrkpfW.png
0OrCnhy.png

UXKE678.png
jhxg5qP.png

THUz3yl.png
LiPswGX.png

WKkDMaF.png
TYe56iu.png

5j46cQo.png
7aS4QTa.png

4Zn7qJu.png
fYCwLOY.png

xGcb8mF.png
EHlnnYP.png

sf1hAWk.png
ynuP3WG.png

Restored Unused Scenes
Xb16Kl2.png
5VpPrBV.png

hd5qYMy.png
VIRR8r2.png

AEfQWI3.png
Jf6IBWu.png

FwkuBJM.png
dj6q5V5.png

JglPmRq.png
c1aibWo.png

rOzSoNx.png
vaTPSFi.png

YrhRTx0.png
yj9jC7A.png

xVXe6hL.png

Restored Unused Puzzles
H46ZxPK.png
u5A3sU9.png

sijntmM.png

Restored Facial Expression System
This system existed in the PSX version but was almost never used. It was unfinished in the PC version but has been restored by TrueOdin in recent FFNx canary builds, and I took the liberty of porting over the textures and incorporating new expressions into scenes on top of what few were already in the game. A full list of scenes affected can be found in the iro. Eyes work perfectly but custom mouths are a bit of a work in progress.

SEvmYIB.png
gRC5LlR.png

t1pEGGv.png
ZPq3k6d.png

0iU7LNt.png
LrhyJxL.png

4bBZ5w3.png
KzXZwTl.png

DO7kl5M.png

Bonus Features

FMV Options

Several FMVs got changes during development, and these options allow those earlier renditions to be used.

cCF5tko.png
BSdfEfc.png

yPV074w.png
XxhxWAl.png

Beta-style Menu Icons
Early in FFVII's development, the characters had pixel art portraits reminiscent of prior entries in the series. The textures for Cloud, Aerith, and Barret's portraits remained in the Tobal No.1 FFVII sampler demo, and with this option you can use them in the final game. Additionally, the incredibly talented pixel artist Prism has provided stylistically-consistent custom sprite portraits for the remaining members so this mode can affect the whole party. (currently Red XIII and Cid are not yet made).

H5XFNaX.png
aYMxDBN.png

Zwyv0z2.png
wjRWtYd.png

Red Yuffie Costume
In the planning stage of FFVII, Yuffie's outfit was red and white rather than green and orange. This option allows you to use a costume for Yuffie based on that original design, with a battle model provided by the incredible UpRisen.

vhX4CHZ.png
jY6LU4r.png

0K6zaAU.png
UURrkTm.png

Option to Restore JORG Backgrounds
The original Japanese release (JORG) of FFVII had a handful of prerendered backgrounds that got revised for the international release, generally to make it clearer where the player needs to go. This option restores the original versions.

JORG________________________________________________________________________Post-JORG
iIxbdIJ.png
33S0XRn.png

wM93lgt.png
Nqx0EXi.png

2btts2T.png
606T9ls.png

oe6Iu82.png
1NJvsEH.png

Mod Credits
This mod is a production of the Shinra Archaeology Department, an FFVII fan group dedicated to translating Japanese interviews and guidebooks and making them available to English-speaking audiences.

Restoration, Implementation, and Logo Graphics: Odysseus (TheStrifeIsRife)

Translation and Localization Continuity: TurquoiseHammer

Data Mining, Organization, and Annotation: Shademp

Original Script Mining: Herman1134 (Jason Maltz)

Cait Sith Regional Dialect: M. J. Gallagher (FFVIINovels)

Custom Sprite Portraits: Prism

Red Yuffie Battle Model: UpRisen

Acknowledgements

NPC blink animation fixes provided by Orichalcon.

Unused custom eye and mouth texture system restored by TrueOdin.

The tile set for the TRAP field was decoded by BrutalAl.

Tools used

Makou Reactor and Vincent Tim:
myst6re

WallMarket and ProudClod: nfitc1

Black Chocobo: sithlord48

KimeraCS: LaZar00

Scarlet: petfriendamy

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Hi kids. Ody finally built up the gumption to delete his twitter in protest of elmo, but I still crave that sweet, sweet validation, so I decided to finally come crawling back to my birthing grounds on TLS lol.

Here's a thread for the mod I've been slaving away at with TurquoiseHammer for the past few years, and even before that on my own for a good near-decade (there's a thread about the pre-SAC version of this somewhere around here). This has been my life's work if ever there was something I could call that, and it's nearing completion, so I figured it might not hurt to post about it here lol.

I guess it's something of an "FFVII: Director's Cut" with all the restored scenes. You can thank Shademp's old-ass articles for inspiring my end of this thing to begin with. The current version, v0.8, covers up through the lifestream sequence and hits the secret Zack flashback as well. We're hoping to have a full 1.0 release later this year.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I might have to give this a go when next I play through FFVII. Only ever played this modded ages ago and it was just a simple field model to battle model swap :flipmonster:

Ody finally built up the gumption to delete his twitter in protest of elmo

:seal:

Deleted Twitter a while a back, my mental health is better for it. Probably.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I might have to give this a go when next I play through FFVII. Only ever played this modded ages ago and it was just a simple field model to battle model swap :flipmonster:
FFVII modding has come a long way in recent times so thankfully this is all pretty simple to get set up. Even works on Steam Deck.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I am so interested in playing this mod, but I only own a MacBook Pro. Is there any way possible to get the mod (and any computer version of the OG) working on a Mac that doesn't involve installing a virtual PC operating system onto the Mac?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I am so interested in playing this mod, but I only own a MacBook Pro. Is there any way possible to get the mod (and any computer version of the OG) working on a Mac that doesn't involve installing a virtual PC operating system onto the Mac?
Nope.

heavyspace

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Is the restored content found in the original japanese release or is this content that was cut from all releases?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Is the restored content found in the original japanese release or is this content that was cut from all releases?
Most of the cut content that the mod restores can be found in the files of all releases, though there are a few things that were only in the original Japanese release (most notably the early version of the Honeybee Inn), and exactly three things in the mod were recreated from scratch using scripts found in the FFVII Ultimania Omega's "Early Material File," which was a collection of various scripts from the game's planning documents.

Top Bottom