FFVIIR at Gamescom 2019

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I don't know.

:excited:Actually I noticed that Official Final Fantasy page in Facebook published a teaser with voices in German:

Hope I'm hearing this wrong, but it sounds like Cloud's voice actor from Advent Children is now recasted for Sephiroth. The only character that's getting her old voice back is Tifa, but performance-wise... lets say there's still room for improvement. I'm not sure about Barret though, could be from AC, maybe not. Cloud's performer is 100% new... I DON'T LIKE THIS!!!

I can only hope the actual voice work for the main game has much more directing quality. In this state it's now, it sounds weak overall. Looks like I'll play it in japanese, but the english voices are good too... I think I give them a shot (Eng VA), because I don't like subtitles in my game.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
@Radigar Thanks for the direct link!

Some interesting points:
  • Instead of triangle, they put R1 (Guard) above the normal attack button input in the battle UI.
  • Cloud has Blizzard and Barret has Aero as additional spells compared to the public footage from E3.
  • Cloud also has the additional Ability Tripple Slash and Barret Bullet Barrage.
    • I know, Max already told us that, but it's nice to actually see it for ourselves.
  • We also finally see lock-on in action.
  • The Tail Laser attack deals 305 (when bound) and ~470 (phase 3) points of damage. Hefty.
  • Staggering enemies (and increasing the Focus gauge?) also increases the Limit bar.
  • The path down from the entrance is exactly as I described in my analysis video.
    • Though one of the optional side paths is blocked, unfortunately.
  • The fire residue on characters is just that. No burning status effect.

@OdaDaimyO It's nice to hear the German voices for reference. Thanks!

Some feedback:
  • I don't like Cloud's voice and Jessie's voice irks me a little as well.
  • Sephiroth's lines are a direct translation from the Japanese script. I assume most of the other character's lines are, too.
  • While the English translation sounds more interesting in general and less flat, it does deviate from the original meaning in places.
And now, I need to go back to working on my next video. Cheers!

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
@Radigar Thanks for the direct link!

Some interesting points:
  • Instead of triangle, they put R1 (Guard) above the normal attack button input in the battle UI.
  • Cloud has Blizzard and Barret has Aero as additional spells compared to the public footage from E3.
  • Cloud also has the additional Ability Tripple Slash and Barret Bullet Barrage.
    • I know, Max already told us that, but it's nice to actually see it for ourselves.
  • We also finally see lock-on in action.
  • The Tail Laser attack deals 305 (when bound) and ~470 (phase 3) points of damage. Hefty.
  • Staggering enemies (and increasing the Focus gauge?) also increases the Limit bar.
  • The path down from the entrance is exactly as I described in my analysis video.
    • Though one of the optional side paths is blocked, unfortunately.
  • The fire residue on characters is just that. No burning status effect.

@OdaDaimyO It's nice to hear the German voices for reference. Thanks!

Some feedback:
  • I don't like Cloud's voice and Jessie's voice irks me a little as well.
  • Sephiroth's lines are a direct translation from the Japanese script. I assume most of the other character's lines are, too.
  • While the English translation sounds more interesting in general and less flat, it does deviate from the original meaning in places.
And now, I need to go back to working on my next video. Cheers!

You're welcome, probably it can be for help in your next videos.

By the way the jeuxvideo deleted his article :wacky:, it was fortunate that it gave me time to get the video link.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Now that I have heared the whole thing, I can say that Heideggers voice is a different kind of grumpy than his english counterpart has. It isn't bad and to be honest, I like it very much. His japanese voice is frightening, everytime I hear it, I think they changed the genre again! Jessie sounds like a nerd... I LOVE IT! :excited: Still disappointed about Tifa though, she is normally a good voice actress, but I think it has more to do with the rushed voice direction.

Are they actually lip animating for all localised languages... that's fucking crazy!

Last edited:

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
FFVII in German sounds surreal for me for some reason.
I feel like they recorded the audio just for this trailer, as the game itself is still in English and sound mixing for me sounds a bit odd here (or is it german accent? XD)
Btw did they said somewhere in what languages the game will be released?

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
FFVII in German sounds surreal for me for some reason.
I feel like they recorded the audio just for this trailer, as the game itself is still in English and sound mixing for me sounds a bit odd here (or is it german accent? XD)
Btw did they said somewhere in what languages the game will be released?

FINALFANTASY VII REMAKE will be available in the following languages.
Voiceovers: English, Japanese, French and German
Subtitles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
@rimavelle As OdaDaimyO mentioned, there's even German lip sync, so I don't think it's just some extraordinary recording for this trailer. Unless they went the extra mile and changed the lip sync as well just for this recording, but I think that would be too much of an effort, just for a German version of an already known trailer.

Something I forgot to mention before: for some reason, it really bothers me how Tifa pronounces Marlene's name (speaking the last E out loud instead of silencing it). I know this is how it's supposed to sound like in German, but it still feels weird to me, as it's a silent E in Swiss-German.

Highwind

Pro Adventurer
Something I forgot to mention before: for some reason, it really bothers me how Tifa pronounces Marlene's name (speaking the last E out loud instead of silencing it). I know this is how it's supposed to sound like in German, but it still feels weird to me, as it's a silent E in Swiss-German.
That bothered me as well.

It's really cool that there will be a German dub, but I think I will choose the English one (at least for the first playthrough). I've watched the trailers so many times, that the German voices already feel weird to me.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thoughts on the jeux video:

1. Thanks Highwind!

1:58 the gun flying out of the MP’s hand: dope dope dope
2:02 Cloud’s position (too far away) caused him to miss with Braver.
2:20 doesn’t look like Tactical Mode auto-spins... camera control???
3:25 CAMERA CONTROOOL!!!

Barret says: “Let’s see if little Stamp can bite the hand that feeds.” He is making an in-universe pop culture reference and calling Cloud a Shinra dog at the same time. I love it.

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
@rimavelle As OdaDaimyO mentioned, there's even German lip sync, so I don't think it's just some extraordinary recording for this trailer.
I see. I didn't notice the lip sync at first. Still weird that the game itself is in English?
Barret says: “Let’s see if little Stamp can bite the hand that feeds.” He is making an in-universe pop culture reference and calling Cloud a Shinra dog at the same time. I love it.
Right?! Quality writing.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
2:20 doesn’t look like Tactical Mode auto-spins... camera control???
3:25 CAMERA CONTROOOL!!!
Apologies for bursting your bubble but that's not free camera control. The camera adjusts to focus on the target currently selected in the menu. The gameplay demonstration at SE's E3 press conference already showed that feature.
Also, that camera spin was most likely a demonstration only feature to show off the slow-motion feature and give Neil time to gush about it and Kitase to put him back on track.

RIGHT! I completely forgot that the cartoon dog with the military helmet is called Stamp. Now that line makes a lot more sense. Nice tie-in of in-universe elements. I'm hoping for much more of that.
And I'm still of the opinion that Stamp is meant for Shinra to low-key spread their propaganda.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Apologies for bursting your bubble but that's not free camera control. The camera adjusts to focus on the target currently selected in the menu.

Look again. In the demo, when he switches to Barret for the first time, (after dismissing the tutorial column) Barret enters TM and targets monodrive A, then shifts the camera slightly several times without ever getting a better look at monodrive A, and never changing targets — it’s between 3:25-3:32.

Last edited:
Top Bottom