• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

Legend

Rookie Adventurer
I mean, all the new stuff is in the leaks so technically, there's nothing "new" they can show besides releasing the demo. I honestly wouldn't mind if they never release it, though. The full game release is just around the corner.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
By "new" I mean stuff that hasn't been officially released yet. And many of those screens have been released outside Japan as well, Force, and not just in Famitsu. Though hopefully we'll get a fresh batch when the next issue hits. When will that be?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It's pretty sad isn't it? I don't know what the plans were, but if the public was ever supposed to see those leaked character renders before release then Square should really just expedite the process and release them sometime soon. I'm getting a little sick of avoiding the spoilers thread already.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
No reason to apologize! Sorry if I sounded mad. The whole situation has just got me thinking about past leaks (which happen with basically any demo for big games) and I don't remember it changing any PR plans, no matter how much we as players might want it to.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
There's not much they can do really, other than not acknowledge the leaks. It seems ridiculous, but the situation when you get down to brass tacks is this - the leaks stem from a demo build that the public should not actually know about yet that was put on an unprotected Sony server. It's a PR nightmare with a lot of moving parts and moving the game forward to compensate for it, or even just acknowledging the situation at all, could give the wrong impression to shareholders and customers alike.

On top of that, worth keeping in mind that there was a dude straight up attempting to sell retail copies of KH3 2 months before release, and they still stuck to schedule there. Granted, that was a different situation so maybe not a fair comparison, but it's the closest comparison I can make.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I keep imagining this nightmare scenario where Nomura, in a fit of spiteful rage, delays the remake a full year so they can completely redo everything that got leaked and reclaim the element of surprise. That would (hopefully) never happen though. You're right, only the obsessives like us really know about this anyway.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I keep imagining this nightmare scenario where Nomura, in a fit of spiteful rage, delays the remake a full year so they can completely redo everything that got leaked and reclaim the element of surprise. That would (hopefully) never happen though. You're right, only the obsessives like us really know about this anyway.

I mean (I'm keeping out of spoilers so don't tell me one way or another) if anything got leaked about Part 2, I can see him changing that bit up at least.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Don't worry I know literally nothing about the leaks outside of very generally the type of content that got leaked, I'm trying to stay pure too.

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Also the majority of people probably don't know about it anyway. Only those of us in the weeds.

Sorry, but I don't really see how that's possible, unless people absolutely don't follow any sort of gaming news at all.

I mean, the leak has been reported on by nearly all major gaming media. It's only really the official news sources from Square Enix and Sony that are pretending it hasn't happened.

I just did a quick search and found news reporting on the leak from Gamespot, Kotaku, Eurogamer, GamesRadar, IGN, VG24/7, PC Gamer and PSU. (Sorry, these links all contain some degree of spoilers. I'm only linking them to show that they are out there.)

Most gamers should have at least some awarenewss of it. I can't believe that anybody who keeps up with gaming news would be completely unaware, given how many places have reported on it. It would take some pretty strong selective obliviousness.

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
It's possible. But if the argument is "People who don't follow video gaming news regularly don't know about the leak", then it's not really worth stating. They don't know about the leak because they weren't ever likely to have been in a position where they could have found about it in the first place. It's like saying "most non-astronauts don't know what it's like to go into space".

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, so I really do apologise if that's how I'm sounding.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's possible. But if the argument is "People who don't follow video gaming news regularly don't know about the leak", then it's not really worth stating. They don't know about the leak because they weren't ever likely to have been in a position where they could have found about it in the first place. It's like saying "most non-astronauts don't know what it's like to go into space".

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, so I really do apologise if that's how I'm sounding.

But it is worth stating because that is the argument. FF7R hopes to sell millions of copies. Video game news sites are not frequented by even most of those millions. Most people are not like us. They played VII on PS1 maybe because it was a huge game at the time, heard there was a remake, and maybe followed the official twitter, and that's the extent of their interaction with it.

And most don't even do that much. The FF7R twitter currently has 94,000 followers! If this game sells 2 million copies (which would almost certainly be a disappointment), that's less than 5% of the people who are going to buy it! You are greatly overrating how many people are in the know about it, and so there is no reason for Square to really respond to it.

(I suppose you could almost make the argument the other way. That the only people following the twitter account are the diehards that do know about it, lol)

Last edited:

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
That's a fair point. And I worded both posts really badly. Sorry.

I just felt that the leak has been so fairly well covered by many places that it's effectively public knowledge. In hindsight, I should have considered that just because something has been reported on, it doesn't mean people necessarily noticed or were even interested in the first place.

I also never intended to imply that there was a reason for Square or Sony to respond to it, just that so many others had. It actually surprises me just how many people seem to think they've gone on some kind of "media blackout" over the leak (based on a number of comments on their latest twitter post). Even if they did have reason to acknowledge it, the leak hit the news at a time when the vast majority of companies in western countries are closed for Christmas and New Year. There wouldn't have been any posts during that time even if the leak hadn't happened.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
There might be one reason for Square and SE to respond to the leaks, that being so they don't look like an ostrich with its head in the sand, pretending that what happened didn't happen, that what's now known still isn't known and that nobody will notice. They could release some new content that wasn't in the leaks, which would effectively shift people's attention away from them. Or just drop the demo already. Just something else to do other than closing the barn door after the chocobo's already left.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Sorry, but I don't really see how that's possible, unless people absolutely don't follow any sort of gaming news at all.

I mean, the leak has been reported on by nearly all major gaming media. It's only really the official news sources from Square Enix and Sony that are pretending it hasn't happened.

I just did a quick search and found news reporting on the leak from Gamespot, Kotaku, Eurogamer, GamesRadar, IGN, VG24/7, PC Gamer and PSU. (Sorry, these links all contain some degree of spoilers. I'm only linking them to show that they are out there.)

Most gamers should have at least some awarenewss of it. I can't believe that anybody who keeps up with gaming news would be completely unaware, given how many places have reported on it. It would take some pretty strong selective obliviousness.

I mean, I didn't know until two days after the leaks when I popped up here. Despite being hyped for FFVII, I don't follow gaming sites, and only stumble on the reddit FFVIIRemake once in a (long) while... so yeah it's totally possible lol. I was like "uhhhh so it seems something happened?" hahaha.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
There might be one reason for Square and SE to respond to the leaks, that being so they don't look like an ostrich with its head in the sand, pretending that what happened didn't happen, that what's now known still isn't known and that nobody will notice. They could release some new content that wasn't in the leaks, which would effectively shift people's attention away from them. Or just drop the demo already. Just something else to do other than closing the barn door after the chocobo's already left.
They only look like that to us. Square is just doing the standard procedure that almost every company would do.

Top Bottom